On to Wazzu. Thoughts?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

We're on to Washington State. Defense looked lights out, offense was improved against what appeared and was touted as a good defense, and we scored every way except through the air. WSU fans are more than worried about this game. What say you?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Obviously should be a tougher challenge. Will be a good test.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

Our defense has the capability to make plays and get stops.....WSU will attempt to take our run game away so it will be interesting. And.....there's no place like home....that always helps.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Brand new QB. Brand new DL. This game has the making of a statement win.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Think our offense will have to play a lot better than we did tonight to win this game.

Defense will keep us in the game but will depend whether we can put the ball in the end zone or not. Vigen play calling will be key. Can't have multiple drives with no points or no TD's like tonight.

Glad its a home game.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
aranderson
Cowpoke

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:21 am Think our offense will have to play a lot better than we did tonight to win this game.

Defense will keep us in the game but will depend whether we can put the ball in the end zone or not. Vigen play calling will be key. Can't have multiple drives with no points or no TD's like tonight.

Glad its a home game.
I still firmly believe that this game was called very conservatively and vanilla from an offensive standpoint. Now am I saying I'm convinced Vigen is and capable of adding a little chocolate to it, no. But I do however feel that the coaches knew we could run and didn't let up. They had a game plan and stuck to it. WSU is a whole new animal, but I'm not so sure that we have several wrinkles were going to be throwing at them, that they didn't see tonight.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

When you're up two scores with a dominating defense and effective run game, there's little reason to throw the ball. Just asking for trouble if you do.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 141 times

Man, I’d feel pretty good if TVW had connected on a couple of those TDs. If we can run the ball, who knows. Anyone have a feel for what kind of team WSU has this year?
W-Y, Until I Die!
aranderson
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:04 am Man, I’d feel pretty good if TVW had connected on a couple of those TDs. If we can run the ball, who knows. Anyone have a feel for what kind of team WSU has this year?
Other than J-Rod saying they have a new qb and an entire new d-line, I'm guessing that if our o-line is as good as it was tonight and or better with getting our guy back, and their new qb we should be able to rattle him, and get a push with our o-line. All speculation of course. But I'm feeling more and more positive about being able to give WSU a game.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

This game scares me. Leach is one of the most consistent coaches in all of FB and he'll have playmakers on O. His O is quick hitting enough that pressure is difficult.
I love our D but NMSU did have opportunities in the passing game. That certainly could be due to the scheme because we obviously weren't worried about NMSU throwing, but WSU will challenge our secondary. It isn't so much the pass as it is getting the ball to skill players with enough space around them to do something. I don't think Leach has ever had an offense that couldn't move the ball.
Their D may take a step back because of coaching changes, but they still have good players. Likely the top 3 or 4 Ds we face all year and I'm not sold on our O yet.

To me this has a feel of numerous games in the past where we thought we had a good shot at winning against a P5 team only to be sorely disappointed. A small part of me is worried we are going to get blown out.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:03 am This game scares me. Leach is one of the most consistent coaches in all of FB and he'll have playmakers on O. His O is quick hitting enough that pressure is difficult.
I love our D but NMSU did have opportunities in the passing game. That certainly could be due to the scheme because we obviously weren't worried about NMSU throwing, but WSU will challenge our secondary. It isn't so much the pass as it is getting the ball to skill players with enough space around them to do something. I don't think Leach has ever had an offense that couldn't move the ball.
Their D may take a step back because of coaching changes, but they still have good players. Likely the top 3 or 4 Ds we face all year and I'm not sold on our O yet.

To me this has a feel of numerous games in the past where we thought we had a good shot at winning against a P5 team only to be sorely disappointed. A small part of me is worried we are going to get blown out.
I think that we will be more polished in game two then we were in game one. The big question is what will prevail? Will an explosive offense or dominant defense win out? We have the advantage of a zero week game to work out wrinkles but this is game one for Washington State.

My gut says a win against a power 5 is on the horizon but it certainly won’t be a gimme
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

leach and wazzu will come blazing an air raid. quick hit throws and shots over the top. nms had chances through the air and came away with quite a few drops or qb misses. there was no reason to open the playbook or the passing game last night with our defense crushing nms. that being said, i also reserve the right to bash vigen for lack of adjustments and too vanilla of playcalling if that time comes. hope he has learned a little more about making offensive adjustments. running the ball like we do is about imposing your will, only works when you are bigger, faster, stronger....
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

NMSU is a great prep game for WSU as they run (or try to run) a relatively similar pass heavy air raid offense. If we can get pressure on the quarterback by only rushing 4 like we saw against NMSU, WSU is in trouble.

Washington State is 1-5 in openers under Leach (including some bad losses). For the first time in a long time, I’m picking Wyoming to knock off the Power 5 team and this isn’t just the homer in me.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Our rs freshman qb got some game experience last night. I thought he showed a lot of poise. I do hope that we let him throw on first down a few times and not rely solely on the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" Woody Hayes type game plan.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

laxwyo wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:04 am Man, I’d feel pretty good if TVW had connected on a couple of those TDs.
I'm thinking the long-ball accurate pass is not yet in his repertory.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:25 am
laxwyo wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:04 am Man, I’d feel pretty good if TVW had connected on a couple of those TDs.
He's not all that far off, at least. He'll figure out the timing with his receivers eventually. I do like that he started the game 8 for 8 or something, though. It was nice to see we didn't let them stack the box against the run early on.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

As far as offense goes, TVW will have to make some more high pressure throws especially on third downs. I definitely can't see us rushing for 300+ yards so he'll have to do more. Yeah it would have been nice to see him hit Rocket or Price on one of the long balls but ultimately Bohl probably knew from the first NMSU drive that they had no hope of scoring on us. Whether he wanted to keep the passing scheme under wraps or just run down the clock, he just wasn't going open it up in a game like that. Reminded me a lot of the Potato Bowl. Next week should be fun, hope we sell out.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:29 am
Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:25 am
He's not all that far off, at least. He'll figure out the timing with his receivers eventually. I do like that he started the game 8 for 8 or something, though. It was nice to see we didn't let them stack the box against the run early on.
He was literally only about a step ahead of his guys on those deep throws. Which is much better than being short. So a little more practice, and I think he hits those throws.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Think we'll see a total surprise and beat a Pac 12 school in Laramie, I like the sound of that!!! Cya all there!!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:15 am Think we'll see a total surprise and beat a Pac 12 school in Laramie, I like the sound of that!!! Cya all there!!!
I too think we'll beat at P12 team next weekend but I disagree completely in that I will not be surprised. This D looks legit, the offense looks better than last year, this game isnt going to be another Oregon.