Love Bohl, but...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
bloodmakesthegrasgro
Buckaroo

It was a bit of a beatdown.

NDSU 21 1st downs
Iowa 12 1st downs

Total Yards

NDSU 363
Iowa 231

NDSU Rushing 239
Iowa Rushing 34 minus 9 in 4th Qtr

Time of Possession:

NDSU 36:40
Iowa 23:20

NDSU was in scoring position 2 or 3 other times and came away empty. Unforced errors mostly.
bloodmakesthegrasgro
Buckaroo

I see the stats for the 2017 Iowa/Wyoming game are pretty close, except for the score. Iowa was breaking in a new QB.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Hey menses boy.
1 you are north dakota
2 you are FCS

Nobody here really gives a poop what you think so go troll some other board. This is all speculation so you can go around and around and nobody is going to change their opinion and that’s all it is.
bloodmakesthegrasgro
Buckaroo

I was responding to 307BBall, asshole, so go fk yourself!!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:12 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:26 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:22 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:13 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:07 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:02 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:49 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:41 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:21 pm His offense only works when you’re bigger, faster, stronger. This isn’t North Dakota St. The offensive line and backs aren’t good enough to run a pro style ground and pound.
You are right this isn’t NDSU....NDSU beats P5 schools on a regular basis.

He beat P5 schools at NDSU using that exact same offense.

It’s just that you are Wyoming....
He beat horrible P5 teams at NDSU. He only beat one half decent team there. The rest were really bad teams. NDSU would have a losing record if they played an FBS schedule. He also lost to Wyoming while at NDSU.
Ha when is the last time Wyoming beat a P5 school? Terrible or not? NDSU doesn’t even play an FBS schedule, yet they have beat 5 this decade alone.

You put any NDSU team over the last 8 years I’m the MW and they are a contender if not a front runner.
Well ... He's not wrong. ;)
Yeah he is. Look at NDSU losses over those years.
I'm confused ... is your contention that NDSU is an under-achieving program? The question of whether or not Bohl is a good coach isn't in doubt...he's got a pedigree and still hasn't gotten it done at WYO (Still a chance here for that to change).

NDSU past 8 years:

14-1
12-2
13-2
15-1
15-0
14-1
14-1
9-5

If your trying to convince me that what is going on at NDSU is a fluke you are sadly misinformed....and I'm beginning to think that what is happening at Wyoming is not a fluke either :cry:
NDSU in MWC would be equal to or less than WYO in MWC.
Ya you are delusional....

NDSU is very much likely a top 25 college football team this year, and really have been for many years. I know that’s hard for you to wrap your head around but any credible person would tell you that. Bohl had success because he was at one of the very best programs in college football.

Bohl beat P5 teams at NDSU because he had better teams at NDSU. Seriously do yourself a favor and go watch some of those Bohl teams. Go watch a few games in 2013. I mean for christ sakes he had a team so talented that the backup QB was a future #2 draft pick and not starting because he was sitting behind the winningest QB in college football history.

I’m trying to be as respectful as possible, but if you think any Bohl Wyoming teams over the past few years could beat NDSU on an even playing field, you really need to put down the pipe.

Again, please tell me the last time Wyoming beat a P5 school, good or bad?....because NDSU has beat 5 this decade alone, all on the road....and the worst team in that stretch, 2016, walked into Kinnick and beat an Iowa team ranked #11 at the time.

It’s not Bohl. It’s not the offense......it’s the fact he is in Wyoming. I guarantee you if he’s coaching this year’s NDSU team, he isn’t losing to Missouri.
Sorry Bison, you lost your argument with this statement:

" I guarantee you if he’s coaching this year’s NDSU team, he isn’t losing to Missouri."
bloodmakesthegrasgro
Buckaroo

cowboyz wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:28 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:21 pm His offense only works when you’re bigger, faster, stronger. This isn’t North Dakota St. The offensive line and backs aren’t good enough to run a pro style ground and pound.

He beat horrible P5 teams at NDSU. He only beat one half decent team there. The rest were really bad teams. NDSU would have a losing record if they played an FBS schedule. He also lost to Wyoming while at NDSU.
Ha when is the last time Wyoming beat a P5 school? Terrible or not? NDSU doesn’t even play an FBS schedule, yet they have beat 5 this decade alone.

You put any NDSU team over the last 8 years I’m the MW and they are a contender if not a front runner.
I'm confused ... is your contention that NDSU is an under-achieving program? The question of whether or not Bohl is a good coach isn't in doubt...he's got a pedigree and still hasn't gotten it done at WYO (Still a chance here for that to change).

NDSU past 8 years:

14-1
12-2
13-2
15-1
15-0
14-1
14-1
9-5

If your trying to convince me that what is going on at NDSU is a fluke you are sadly misinformed....and I'm beginning to think that what is happening at Wyoming is not a fluke either :cry:

NDSU is very much likely a top 25 college football team this year, and really have been for many years. I know that’s hard for you to wrap your head around but any credible person would tell you that. Bohl had success because he was at one of the very best programs in college football.

Bohl beat P5 teams at NDSU because he had better teams at NDSU. Seriously do yourself a favor and go watch some of those Bohl teams. Go watch a few games in 2013. I mean for christ sakes he had a team so talented that the backup QB was a future #2 draft pick and not starting because he was sitting behind the winningest QB in college football history.

I’m trying to be as respectful as possible, but if you think any Bohl Wyoming teams over the past few years could beat NDSU on an even playing field, you really need to put down the pipe.

Again, please tell me the last time Wyoming beat a P5 school, good or bad?....because NDSU has beat 5 this decade alone, all on the road....and the worst team in that stretch, 2016, walked into Kinnick and beat an Iowa team ranked #11 at the time.

It’s not Bohl. It’s not the offense......it’s the fact he is in Wyoming. I guarantee you if he’s coaching this year’s NDSU team, he isn’t losing to Missouri.

" I guarantee you if he’s coaching this year’s NDSU team, he isn’t losing to Missouri."

Ya, I don't believe that either.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

bloodmakesthegrasgro wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:34 pm
cowboyz wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:28 pm

NDSU past 8 years:

14-1
12-2
13-2
15-1
15-0
14-1
14-1
9-5

Ya, I don't believe that either.
I’ve always hated when people try to use “MMA Math” to prove which team is better than another.... each and every game is different. Just like styles make fights, styles make football games. Each game is going to be prepared for differently. Just because UW only beat NMSU by 22 and USU beat them by 47 doesn’t really mean anything to me other than NMSU isn’t a great team. Head to head matchups will tell me who is the better team.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Ndsu plays jv football. Enough said.
bloodmakesthegrasgro
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:02 pm Ndsu plays jv football. Enough said.
LOL, Hussein Obumba said that about ISIS.
Brown&GoldGreenie
Buckaroo

There is also a mentality for games against P5 or any non conference opponent for that matter that Bohl and staff have continuously stated. Maybe more of a CYA statement for some really poor showings, but basically an attitude that while these games are nice they just don't matter until conference play begins. We're going to work on what we want to work on against higher levels of talent, but ultimately the outcome is unimportant. In practice and preparation who knows how much this really trickles down, but we've been competitive and beaten teams in conference that have played better against the same P5 teams.

I like where things are headed with Bohl, defense obviously is great, with enough talent coming in that I don't think we'll see major regressions with this staff. O-line, QB and RB has some good potential. Pass protection is a concern, but the run blocking even against a big Mizzou D-line was encouraging once they opened things up a little passing.

My only complaints are with the lack of adjustments in game when things just aren't working. Boise State last year started switching QB's in and out because they'd been shutdown and we couldn't handle that. Offense constantly tries to run up the middle when the D stacks the box. Also, where are the WR's? As far as recruiting and bringing guys in, WR has to be the biggest hole.
The day I put green plates on my truck I died a little inside.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:04 pmMy brother-in-law lives in Iowa City and he's a Hawks fan who goes to the games there and his report after watching the bison come into Iowa and win was that the game was actually more of a beat down than the score indicated. Now.. Does that team go into Missouri and win? Probably not... But they would probably look like they belonged.
Honestly, FCS or not, NDSU is just farther along as a program than Wyoming is. NDSU didn't undergo a massive culture/system shift when the new guy took over for Bohl. It allowed them to basically start farther ahead than where a program that hires an outside coach would normally be at.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
2011BisonAlumni
Buckaroo

If that is the case, it says a lot about Wyoming football....

I mean we regularly can beat P5 teams
2011BisonAlumni
Buckaroo

joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:50 pm
307bball wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:04 pmMy brother-in-law lives in Iowa City and he's a Hawks fan who goes to the games there and his report after watching the bison come into Iowa and win was that the game was actually more of a beat down than the score indicated. Now.. Does that team go into Missouri and win? Probably not... But they would probably look like they belonged.
Honestly, FCS or not, NDSU is just farther along as a program than Wyoming is. NDSU didn't undergo a massive culture/system shift when the new guy took over for Bohl. It allowed them to basically start farther ahead than where a program that hires an outside coach would normally be at.
There also is something to be said about tradition.

Bohl coached at a program who has only had 3 losing seasons over the last 50+ years and has the second highest winning percentage of any college football team in the last 125 years.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

2011BisonAlumni wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:47 pm
joshvanklomp wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:50 pm
There also is something to be said about tradition.

Bohl coached at a program who has only had 3 losing seasons over the last 50+ years and has the second highest winning percentage of any college football team in the last 125 years.
All of this reverence for Bohl from the NDSU fans is understandable, but success at one level is not an indicator of success at another. One only has to look at Gerry Faust to see that. Faust had a record of 178-23-2 at Moeller and won 4 High School National Football Championships. He took his coaching philosophy and skills to Notre Dame and we all know how that turned out.

Don't get me wrong, I think Bohl is the best fit for Wyoming, but tradition doesn't always translate to success. Whether the folks in North Dakota want to admit it or not, there is a difference between FCS and G5 just as there is a difference between G5 and P5. It is what it is. While there are a few outliers like Boise St., for the most part, NDSU would probably get its ass handed to it if they played Wyoming's schedule year in and year out. Unfortunately, unless NDSU moves up, we won't ever know for sure.

:twocents:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

2011BisonAlumni wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Why don't you guys move up then if you're so awesome? Liberty did it.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:34 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Why don't you guys move up then if you're so awesome? Liberty did it.
Because they are a big fish in a small pond, and if they move up, meh, they are a little fish in an ocean.

That, and their fans are a bunch of pussy mother f-word that couldn't handle it. :cry:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

Brown&GoldGreenie wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:25 pm
My only complaints are with the lack of adjustments in game when things just aren't working.
+100

this nails it. there is no creativity on how to attack a defenses' weaknesses....
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

I find the overwhelming opinion that Glenn teams always played good teams tough while Bohl's teams don't compete laughable. Bohl has 2 wins vs Ranked teams and Glenn never came close. Even Koenning had a win vs a ranked team. Time sure distorts memories. We had multiple blowout losses EVERY year Glenn was here, we just don't want to remember those.

9-6-2003 Oklahoma St 24-48 Loss
9-27-2003 Boise St 17-33 Loss
11/15/2003 Utah 17-47 Loss
11/22/2003 New Mexico 3-26 Loss

9/11/2004 Texas A&M 0-31 Loss
10/22/2004 CSU 7-30 Loss
11/13/2004 Utah #7 28-45 Loss (Glenn's closest game vs a ranked opponent)

9/3/2005 Florida #10 14-32 Loss
11/5/2005 Utah 13-43 Loss

10-28-2006 TCU 3-26 Loss
11/9/2006 BYU #25 7-55 Loss

11/10/2007 Utah 0-50 Loss
11/17/2007 BYU 10-35 Loss

2008 5 straight blowout losses
BYU #14 0-44
Bowling Green 16-45
New Mexico 0-24
Utah #14 7-40
TCU #15 7-54

Lets face it, the last team to be competitive in every game was the 1996 10-2 team whose worst loss was by 4 points. After that the 1997 Dimel team worst loss was 17 points, and every year since we've had beat downs worse than that. The 96 team lost by 3 in OT to the only ranked team they played #6 BYU. But they also squeaked out wins by 3 (AFA), 2 (Idaho), 1 (CSU).

Yeah Glenn beat some unranked P5 schools, but let's not forget all the blowouts losses he had. Schedule some sucky P5 schools and Bohl will beat them as well, they will come. Until then just realize it takes time, especially at Wyoming, we are still trending up. I can't imagine any coach taking this program further in the last 4 years. I have a hard time believing Saban & Meyer could have done any better.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Kind of similar to Bohl, I’d say none of Bohl’s teams at North Dakota or Wyoming have bear good power teams. Glenn beat a 9 win ( 6 win conference) Virgina and Bohl beat a good Kansas State team. Glenn beat TCU and Utah, which are probably the same as Bohl bearing BSU and SDSU.

Not necessarily saying Glenn is better or Bohl is better but the similarities are there.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Jury is still out on the next few years. Compare apples to apples. First 4 years:
Bohl is 22-29. Glenn was 21-26.
Glenn's average SOS was 65; Bohl's is 90.
Glenn's average final ranking (sag) was 71. Bohl's is 107.
Highest ranked (sag) Glenn team was 49. Bohl's is 73.
Glenn had 2 years of bowl eligibility and 1 bowl win. Bohl 2 years and 1-1.
Embarrassing losses? SJSU, E. Michigan x2, North Dakota besides the blowouts for Bohl. Glenn's are listed above.

Glenn's mountain was much higher and steeper by all reasonable measures.

:cool:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.