The ultimate question

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyonort
Buckaroo

Would you rather have a consistent bowl team (Bohl ball) in the lower tier bowls, (which I’m guessing we make it to for the 3rd straight year) and be dominated by P5 teams, or have teams like Glenn’s that didn’t have the bowl consistency but you had a measured amount of confidence that we were gonna beat the P5 (especially at home) and scare the hell out of and beat some of them on the road? Hate to say this but I’m the latter! Beating Nevada has never thrilled me but beating Ole Miss, Tennessee and Virginia sure did! Seeing Texas at half time go into the locker room at the War in a dog fight did it for me (that was Dave, I know). What say the rest of you? Potato Bowl, or Putting it to the P5?
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Got news for you, barring some miracle turnaround we aren’t going bowling this year.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 229 times

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:38 pm Got news for you, barring some miracle turnaround we aren’t going bowling this year.
I believe this team will go to a bowl game this year.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:38 pm Got news for you, barring some miracle turnaround we aren’t going bowling this year.
We got handled by Wazzou and Mizzou, neither of which will finish at the top of their respective conferences.

BUT, that's really no different than what happened last year. Iowa and Oregon both embarassed us and neither of them finished at the top of their respective conferences.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:01 pm
We got handled by Wazzou and Mizzou, neither of which will finish at the top of their respective conferences.

BUT, that's really no different than what happened last year. Iowa and Oregon both embarassed us and neither of them finished at the top of their respective conferences.
No Josh Allen to bail out this offense.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

This year, Utah State looks way better than last. CSU may have a terrible defense, but they will score points. We'll likely lose in Hawai'i, Boise should embarrass us worse than Mizzou did, Fresno looks seriously improved.

I haven't seen Air Force or New Mexico yet. Hopefully those are both teams we can handle...
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Barring a miraculous turnaround by the offense going forward, we will be lucky to hit 6 wins.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:57 pm I believe this team will go to a bowl game this year.
I'm not betting they will beat Wofford.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Agreed. The start of this season isn’t much different than last year.
Everyone on here was up in arms and ready to give up on the year because Josh Allen and and Co could not move the ball against a tough, but not “top of their conference” Iowa.
Then we beat, handedly, Gard Webb 27-0... but because we didn’t blow the roof off offensively everyone is still giving up on the year.
Then Oregon takes us behind the woodshed in our own house 49-13. And the wheels fell off for half this forum group.

NMSU 29-7. Much better opponent opponent than Gard Webb. Similar result and it was on the road.

Washington State was last years Iowa and it was at home. Not to mention our O wasn’t great and we moved the ball better and scored more than 3. We were in this game till midway through the fourth quarter when the wheels finally fell off.

Missouri on the road was Oregon at home last year. I honestly see better results through three games than I saw last year with Allen. I feel like we will be okay going in to conference time.
Yeah, USU blew out NMSU. They run a quick paced spread. If you don’t defend they score. They scored 40+ four times last year and we held them to 23 in Logan. We don’t have a quick strike scoring offense. We know this. Some just don’t like it. Beating a team 29-7 instead of 62-7 just creates questions to them rather than enjoyment.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Seems to me no one has noticed SJSU held Wazzou to 31 points...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I see 5 or 6 wins. I hope it's 6!!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

The issue with the Glenn-type success is that it can't be built on because there's no consistency there. I believe that a recruiting pitch of "we are a winning program that will compete for conference titles each year" is way more successful than "we won a game against a big school a few times."
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I could give a rats ass that San Jose only let em put 31 on the board. That game was over from the get go and WSU didn't have to do anything beyond 31. It was more of a walkthrough for WSU, believe it or not Wazzou had to work for their win in Laramie. The wheels fell off in the 4th. They didn't have it wrapped up by any means till they were 2 scores ahead big woop. Find as many negatives as you can and I'll defend the pokes.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

kansasCowboy wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:03 pm NMSU 29-7. Much better opponent opponent than Gard Webb. Similar result and it was on the road.
Uh. You did notice how Utah State put up 60 on them yesterday, right? They averaged 6 yards per carry as a team!

It's looking more and more like NMSU is a terrible team.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:27 pm
kansasCowboy wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:03 pm NMSU 29-7. Much better opponent opponent than Gard Webb. Similar result and it was on the road.
Uh. You did notice how Utah State put up 60 on them yesterday, right? They averaged 6 yards per carry as a team!

It's looking more and more like NMSU is a terrible team.
Maybe so, but I’m sure they could even beat a 1-10 fcs school...

And usu scored 60?! Omg!!! I remember last year (same offense) them putting up 40 on BYU, 50 on UNLV, and 60 on SJSU! And yet we held them to 23 in Logan.
As i’ve stated before pro style run oriented O is not a high score O. Beating a team 29-7. Is great. We ran the ball, we kept our tempo and won. USU’s spread is a move the ball and strike O. Which Either helps in blow outs like NMSU...helps keep you in a game like Mich St... or you get blown out look up any of the Wiscy games, wake forest game or Boise game last year.
I agree that USU looks good. They may be a game. Not stating they aren’t. But just saying NMSU is a far cry better than Gard Webb last year.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times

The sheep have beaten 5 power five schools in the last 5 years and but haven't played in a conference championship game or even won a bowl game since 2013. I can't say I am jealous of them.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:56 pm The sheep have beaten 5 power five schools in the last 5 years and but haven't played in a conference championship game or even won a bowl game since 2013. I can't say I am jealous of them.
Playing in a conference championship game is a meaningless achievement unless you win it. They also haven’t suffered some of the many embarrassing losses we’ve had under Bohl. I’ll call it a wash.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:14 pm
Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:56 pm The sheep have beaten 5 power five schools in the last 5 years and but haven't played in a conference championship game or even won a bowl game since 2013. I can't say I am jealous of them.
Playing in a conference championship game is a meaningless achievement unless you win it. They also haven’t suffered some of the many embarrassing losses we’ve had under Bohl. I’ll call it a wash.
They got spanked by Hawaii at home, blew a massive lead against Bosie at home last year, gave up 60 to Idaho in a loss and that's only off the top of my head....
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:35 pm

No Josh Allen to bail out this offense.
This scares me WAY more than either of these two losses. Vigen hasn't faired well in Laramie without Josh Allen. Time to earn his money. If not, hopefully Bohl has the stones to make a move and I think he will. I can't imagine he's willing to go down with that sinking ship...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:14 pm
false. would you rather not play in it? This is a weird statement. It means we won the division.. over Boise no less.