Bohl Press Conference (9/17/2018)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Anna Logan with the scoop on Nico Evans' status for the Bosey game:

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

POKE FAN wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:28 pm Anna Logan with the scoop on Nico Evans' status for the Bosey game:

Nice!

She certainly gives a reason to watch News Channel 5!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

"we learned a lot about our football team during the (Wofford) game, and in the last two-minute drive."

Like maybe if you don't try to run it up the middle all the time, maybe you could get some yards quickly?
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Craig Bohl news conference -- Sept. 17, 2018

Fifth-year University of Wyoming football coach Craig Bohl held his weekly news conference on Monday, Sept. 17, 2018 in Laramie, Wyoming. Video by Robert Gagliardi/WyoSports

PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

So Bohl is willing to call out the D, really the only somewhat bright spot, but clearly not performing up to expectations, but has he called out the O even once??

I know he said we needed to open up the playbook prior to Mizzou,, but I don't think he's said poop about how downright pathetic they have been.

As much as I want to believe he's willing to make a change on O to improve next year, it really seems he's willing to protect Vigen at all costs.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

PokeNer wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:31 pm So Bohl is willing to call out the D, really the only somewhat bright spot, but clearly not performing up to expectations, but has he called out the O even once??

I know he said we needed to open up the playbook prior to Mizzou,, but I don't think he's said poop about how downright pathetic they have been.

As much as I want to believe he's willing to make a change on O to improve next year, it really seems he's willing to protect Vigen at all costs.
+1 How is he so in love with the offense? Any idiot can tell that's the reason we aren't a top flight team in the conference. It's like a bad dream! :thumbdown: Get a new offensive coaches/philosophy!
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

I've assumed it was purely ego driving his decisions, but I'm really starting suspect there is a fair amount of ignorance at play.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during a coaching staff meeting.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

I'm starting to trust Bohl less and less. Starting to get to the point of ridiculousness about how the offense has performed and him basically turning a blind eye to it other than the one time saying something about opening up the playbook.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:28 pm I'm starting to trust Bohl less and less. Starting to get to the point of ridiculousness about how the offense has performed and him basically turning a blind eye to it other than the one time saying something about opening up the playbook.
Read what I said on Holy injuries. He knows the D can do better. They can. I mean Granderson doesn’t even have a sack yet in four games. But he also knows that the O is a work in progress with a Fresh QB and covered in bandaids riddled with injury. At some point when you have to play the talent you have left and not the talent you should be playing, you come to a point where you basically have to shrug your shoulders and take what you can get from the players who can play because it’s beyond your control. Just something that fans don’t like to understand and don’t want to understand. But something most coaches know all too well.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

He's calling out the D because they should be playing better than they are. They are under performing. He isn't calling out the offense because we knew it could be rough for them. They weren't expected to light the world on fire. No need to call them out. Everyone knows they are under performing. It doesn't mean he is satisfied with their performance and I am sure they are doing everything they can to get better in the coaches room.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 pm "we learned a lot about our football team during the (Wofford) game, and in the last two-minute drive."

Like maybe if you don't try to run it up the middle all the time, maybe you could get some yards quickly?
Thought that was a strange comment as well. How the f-word do you learn about your team in week 4 against an FCS opponent? Other than maybe learning they played down to the level of their competition, and you and your staff (in particular) did a poop job from stopping that from actually happening?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

TSpoke wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:21 am He's calling out the D because they should be playing better than they are. They are under performing. He isn't calling out the offense because we knew it could be rough for them. They weren't expected to light the world on fire. No need to call them out. Everyone knows they are under performing. It doesn't mean he is satisfied with their performance and I am sure they are doing everything they can to get better in the coaches room.
I think that's poop. For one, if the O performs better, I guarantee our D plays better. It's simple, the less the D is on the field the less points/yards they give up. You can only do so much when the offense goes 3 and out every possession. Outside of the 3 long drives we had, we gained a whopping 82 yds on 7 drives against the juggernaut Wofford. The D won that game for us. If Wingard doesn't get that INT in the endzone and Sidney doesn't get that fumble, we lose, hands down.

If they are doing all they can to get better, then something needs to get blown up, cause poop hasn't changed in a full season and 4 games. If Vigen is still running this clown car of an offense, I sure as hell won't be renewing my season tickets or CJC membership.

The fact of the matter is the D is probably under-performing a bit, but they've played 2 run/shoot and spread teams that can put up yards and points in a hurry, and our D isn't built to stop those teams. The D expectations are also over-inflated due to the amount of turnovers we got last year. Not that I don't think they need to get better, but the easiest way to help them out is to open up the offense, and not get 30 f-word 3 and outs a game.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I'd say stick with the 2 minute offense the whole game ;)
I'm good for 3!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Cornpoke wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:09 pm I'd say stick with the 2 minute offense the whole game ;)
Well, you can't control the clock when you are scoring touchdowns at a rather fast pace. We need to avoid touchdowns, and just worry about limiting possessions, field position, and the dmaned game clock. In other words, f-word touchdowns...that doesn't fit what we are building here, you know?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:34 pm
Cornpoke wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:09 pm I'd say stick with the 2 minute offense the whole game ;)
Well, you can't control the clock when you are scoring touchdowns at a rather fast pace. We need to avoid touchdowns, and just worry about limiting possessions, field position, and the dmaned game clock. In other words, f-word touchdowns...that doesn't fit what we are building here, you know?
Exactly, sometimes I think that Bohl would rather punt from mid-field to "flip the field," then go for a score...hence the pussy call to punt on 4th and 1 from inside the 50.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

PokeNer wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:08 pmhence the pussy call to punt on 4th and 1 from inside the 50.
Not only was it inside the 50. It was on the 42, so a first down would've been very close to field goal distance.
Rothe is probably one of our best weapons this year, but he hasn't even had all that many chances to kick. He's 6/6 after 4 games with a long of 51, which is what, the 34 yard line?
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

It’s be nice if someone in the media would ask him about that god awful call to punt. I’d add it’s not the first time he’s made ridiculously conservative calls “to not lose”. I absolutely hate chicken poop calls like that to send the punter out.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

calpoke25 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:20 pm It’s be nice if someone in the media would ask him about that god awful call to punt. I’d add it’s not the first time he’s made ridiculously conservative calls “to not lose”. I absolutely hate chicken poop calls like that to send the punter out.
It's the best way to tell the offense "Sorry, you kind of suck at what you do."
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:30 pm It's the best way to tell the offense "Sorry, you kind of suck at what you do."
Flashbacks to the King Dave era. Coach Dave had so little confidence in the defense that he wouldn't go for it on 4th-and-short around mid-field (with little time on the clock). Thus, he elected to punt it deep. I remember Brett Smith coming off the field a couple of time spewing expletives loud enough for the upper deck to hear.