Bohl Press Conference (9/17/2018)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

PokeNer wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:07 pm
TSpoke wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:21 am He's calling out the D because they should be playing better than they are. They are under performing. He isn't calling out the offense because we knew it could be rough for them. They weren't expected to light the world on fire. No need to call them out. Everyone knows they are under performing. It doesn't mean he is satisfied with their performance and I am sure they are doing everything they can to get better in the coaches room.
I think that's poop. For one, if the O performs better, I guarantee our D plays better. It's simple, the less the D is on the field the less points/yards they give up. You can only do so much when the offense goes 3 and out every possession. Outside of the 3 long drives we had, we gained a whopping 82 yds on 7 drives against the juggernaut Wofford. The D won that game for us. If Wingard doesn't get that INT in the endzone and Sidney doesn't get that fumble, we lose, hands down.

If they are doing all they can to get better, then something needs to get blown up, cause poop hasn't changed in a full season and 4 games. If Vigen is still running this clown car of an offense, I sure as hell won't be renewing my season tickets or CJC membership.

The fact of the matter is the D is probably under-performing a bit, but they've played 2 run/shoot and spread teams that can put up yards and points in a hurry, and our D isn't built to stop those teams. The D expectations are also over-inflated due to the amount of turnovers we got last year. Not that I don't think they need to get better, but the easiest way to help them out is to open up the offense, and not get 30 f-word 3 and outs a game.
No poop the offense is bad that's what I'm saying. We know it the coaches for sure know it, the players know it so what is the point in calling them out in public. But the defense was hyped to be so great and Bohl is saying they aren't currently living up to that hype and he thinks they can do better.

Of course if the offense gets better that makes the defense look better but even with our horrendous offense last year or D was playing better than they have been this year. Bohl knows they have the talent on defense to be very good and they haven't played at the level he believes they can. That's the take away I am taking from his comments.

Just to be clear I am not defending or commenting on the level of coaching or performance for the offense or defense. I am just stating why Bohl would call out the defense and not call out the offense.