Bye week: Now what?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Cowboys are 2-2 at the break. Wins over 0-4 NMSU and FCS Wofford, losses to Wazzu and Mizzou. Injuries have been a real problem. The offense has been a problem. At times, the defense hasn't been the vaunted force we've expected.

8 games to left on the schedule, plenty of times to turn things around. With 4 games in hand, what are your expectations? Gun to your head (Yes, someone is holding you gunpoint for Wyoming football projections), how many regular season wins does this team finish with? What is required for this season to be a success...in your eyes anyway?

Remaining schedule...

Boise State
@Hawaii
@Fresno State
Utah State
@Colorado State
San Jose State
Air Force
@New Mexico
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Good chance of losing our next 4... which makes bowl eligibility extremely difficult.

I'm not surprised we're 2-2 at this point, but the way we've played compared to some other conference mates makes me feel like we're in for a long season. I think we'll win 3 of our last 4 and finish 5-7
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

We look to be a 3,4 maybe 5 win team. 5 is generous.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I don't care about how bad we've looked so far. 2-2 is probably the realistic win-loss ratio to this point regardless of what happened inside of those games. We have three weeks to figure things out if we consider the likelihood of beating Boise as low.

We're too talented and our defense is too experienced to not keep us in every other game remaining on the schedule - and yes, that includes Hawaii and Fresno. Will it happen? Maybe? Not getting bowl eligible with this team is still a failure.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

We lose to Bosie and Fresno for sure and steal one against USU or Hawaii and lose the other. We then win 3 of our last four and finish with 6 wins and a bowl win.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 222 times

This team is difficult to predict. The defensive line has been the most disappointing aspect of the team for me so far this year (I guess I expected more dominance up front).

That said, we have the horses on defense and TVW showed against Wofford that, given the opportunity, he can lead this team as a freshman. I am more optimistic than most and am going with 7-5 and the following:

Boise State - L
@Hawaii - W
@Fresno State - L
Utah State - W
@Colorado State - L
San Jose State - W
Air Force - W
@New Mexico - W
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I truly hate to say it, but we won't win the next 5 with our performances lately, and win the last 3, I sure hope I'm wrong.

Boise St---we stay competitive but Boise finds a way
@Hawaii-----hopefully we are on the football field and not a beach
@Fresno St-----always hard place for us to play at
Utah St---scares me big time, hope i'm wrong and we pull this one out
@CSU----at the new stadium, will be an emotional game but Sheep find a way
San Jose St----revenge is such a reward
Air Force----another sloberknocker but we find a way
@New Mexico---not easy again, but we find a way to go out

finish 5-7, sure, sure, sure hope I'm wrong....find a way and be in all the games POKES, like the old saying goes, Game at a time!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

We;re going to beat USU at home and win the last 3. 6-6 and third strait bowl game
Mtpoke89
Ranch Hand

Im kinda on the more optimistic side, i truly believe getting nico back will make a huge difference. He is a player that will make us look better instead of 2nd and 9 we will get a lot more 2nd and 5s with him out there. Boise will be close in the 4th but they find a way. Nico pulls a coming out party against fresno just like hill. we beat fresno, beat hawaii, lose to USU. drop 1 game out of the last 4. 5-3 rest of the way. sure hope Nico looks like he did earlier, i feel he can help carry the O.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

Mtpoke89 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:31 am Im kinda on the more optimistic side, i truly believe getting nico back will make a huge difference. He is a player that will make us look better instead of 2nd and 9 we will get a lot more 2nd and 5s with him out there. Boise will be close in the 4th but they find a way. Nico pulls a coming out party against fresno just like hill. we beat fresno, beat hawaii, lose to USU. drop 1 game out of the last 4. 5-3 rest of the way. sure hope Nico looks like he did earlier, i feel he can help carry the O.
The offensive line must improve for Nico to stay effective. A running back can only do so much if the o line is having trouble.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I think the d is good but not good enough to keep the next 4 teams from scoring. I don't think we have the horses on O to average more than 18/game. I think we drop the next 4.

After that, we are in tossup games and the team that wins will be the team that hasn't packed it in for the season. Bohl and company keep their guys going, so I think we win 2 and possibly 3 of last 4 games.

4 to 5 wins with blowout losses to BSU and perhaps FSU.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I think that we finish anywhere from 5-7 to 7-5. I think we pull off the surprise against one of Hawaii, FSU and USU. then we can go on and finish out the season with 4 straight.

THe offense will continue ot get better with TVW making strides and getting Nico back. Will it get enough better? Not sure.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 119 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:17 am I think the d is good but not good enough to keep the next 4 teams from scoring. I don't think we have the horses on O to average more than 18/game. I think we drop the next 4.

After that, we are in tossup games and the team that wins will be the team that hasn't packed it in for the season. Bohl and company keep their guys going, so I think we win 2 and possibly 3 of last 4 games.

If any indication on the first 4 games of the year, and if things don't drastically change...

I agree on the next four - I see all losses. After that though, I think we will have lost our mojo and drop CSU and AFA...with NM being the only toss up. SJSU is a revenge game, we will beat them.

3 & 9 or maybe 4 & 8 for UW. And an ugly season strikes again. :cry:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Sure hope I'm wrong always wanting 7-5, 8-4, but this O doesn't excite me, unless TVW learned a great deal by that game winning drive last weekend....
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I think we beat SJSU, but after that, I'm not sure I see another win. I say we spring an upset on someone we're not supposed to beat and finish with four wins and a lot of head scratching as to what's next for the program.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:52 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:17 am I think the d is good but not good enough to keep the next 4 teams from scoring. I don't think we have the horses on O to average more than 18/game. I think we drop the next 4.

If any indication on the first 4 games of the year, and if things don't drastically change...

I agree on the next four - I see all losses. After that though, I think we will have lost our mojo and drop CSU and AFA...with NM being the only toss up. SJSU is a revenge game, we will beat them.

3 & 9 or maybe 4 & 8 for UW. And an ugly season strikes again. :cry:
Pretty much how I see it.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Mtpoke89 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:31 am ... i truly believe getting nico back will make a huge difference.
Yes it will. But here is my take on things. Boise is going to kick our ass, Nico or not. Fort or not. Any of the top injured players or not.
So unless an injured player is 100% (not 98%, not 99%) keep 'em out. There will be a lot better chance of winning subsequent games holding back recovering players another week.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

3 more wins. The last 3 games. With the offensive showing against Wofford, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised by a 5 game losing streak. Yes that includes CSU.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand

Adv8RU12 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:15 pm
Mtpoke89 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:31 am ... i truly believe getting nico back will make a huge difference.
Yes it will. But here is my take on things. Boise is going to kick our ass, Nico or not. Fort or not. Any of the top injured players or not.
So unless an injured player is 100% (not 98%, not 99%) keep 'em out. There will be a lot better chance of winning subsequent games holding back recovering players another week.
Good point, no sense getting dudes re injured for a loss.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

cowpoke pride wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:29 pm 3 more wins. The last 3 games. With the offensive showing against Wofford, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised by a 5 game losing streak. Yes that includes CSU.
thinking the same thing unfortunately, sure hope they prove me wrong, i'm thinking Boise might be ugly.