UNLV

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

So, is this the last year for Sanchez?
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:42 pm So, is this the last year for Sanchez?
It should be - but you never know with Vegas. Bad choice, regardless of the $$$ he brought in.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

You have to think that losing to san Jose sealed his fate
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Apparently, their AD, Desiree Reed-Francois, is planning a "complete evaluation" of the football program, and, most are saying, the proverbial writing is on the wall for Sanchez.

The sad fact is, UNLV's biggest donors and boosters are only lukewarm to the football program, and after thirty plus years of futility interrupted by a total of three bowl appearances, I think UNLV may be starting a plan to sunset the program. With the Raiders scheduled to start play in 2020 in a stadium they will "share" with UNLV, all eyes will be on attendance over the first three to five years. If they are still seeing the same kind of attendance in a 70k seat stadium that they've been seeing at Sam Boyd, they will trot out the plan to fold the program.

Personally, I don't hold out much hope for UNLV Football's chances beyond the next five to ten years. Markets that support successful CFB and NFL teams are few and far between. UNLV has a lot of the old Big West Football DNA still working against them...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

There’s no hope for pro football to invigorate the college program?
W-Y, Until I Die!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I've never understood why UNLV doesn't have a better program. Vegas is awesome. What kid wouldn't want to go to school there? Can't beat the nightlife and the weather is pretty outstanding in the fall and winter.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I am sure a lot of parent don’t want there kids going there because of the distractions and the possibility of a dangerous or unproductive path. Other students want to attend a college town. That is one of Wyoming’s selling points, Laramie is a college town.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:02 pm You have to think that losing to san Jose sealed his fate
So, if the Pokes lose to SJSU again, does that mean Bohl should go? Or do we give him a pass and wait until next year? Or the year after? Or just wait till 2023 and then pull the trigger? I'm not advocating firing Bohl, but if we lose again to the Spartans, I sure as poop think somebody should call in Bohl and ask him WTF he is going to do about his putrid offense. If he says stay the course then I would give him his walking papers. If he cans Vigen and looks at another path, then he stays.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:45 pm I've never understood why UNLV doesn't have a better program. Vegas is awesome. What kid wouldn't want to go to school there? Can't beat the nightlife and the weather is pretty outstanding in the fall and winter.
It's a crime-ridden, gang-infested sh-thole full of people with delusions of grandeur...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

CowboyNV wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:32 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:02 pm You have to think that losing to san Jose sealed his fate
So, if the Pokes lose to SJSU again, does that mean Bohl should go? Or do we give him a pass and wait until next year? Or the year after? Or just wait till 2023 and then pull the trigger? I'm not advocating firing Bohl, but if we lose again to the Spartans, I sure as poop think somebody should call in Bohl and ask him WTF he is going to do about his putrid offense. If he says stay the course then I would give him his walking papers. If he cans Vigen and looks at another path, then he stays.
In a vacuum losing to Joser shouldn't cost you your job, but considering Sanchez's tenure so far that was probably the last straw. Bohl lost to joser while having a winning record which I'm still embarrassed about
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:45 pm I've never understood why UNLV doesn't have a better program. Vegas is awesome. What kid wouldn't want to go to school there? Can't beat the nightlife and the weather is pretty outstanding in the fall and winter.
Maybe nightlife and weather isn't quite as important in recruiting as we may think.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:57 pm
Maybe nightlife and weather isn't quite as important in recruiting as we may think.
They aren't that important if you have a competitive program that sends players to the NFL, enjoys solid fan support, and has great facilities and staff for player development and support.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Vegas is trashy. The few times I was there I felt like I was on an episode of COPS
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:15 pm
They aren't that important if you have a competitive program that sends players to the NFL, enjoys solid fan support, and has great facilities and staff for player development and support.
Yup.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:30 pm
It's a crime-ridden, gang-infested sh-thole full of people with delusions of grandeur...
Agreed 100% - truer words about that place have never been spoken. Vegas has changed dramatically in the last 30 years (as we all know). It is off my travel list, as of 3 or 4 years ago. Sad to see what it has become.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:31 am
Agreed 100% - truer words about that place have never been spoken. Vegas has changed dramatically in the last 30 years (as we all know). It is off my travel list, as of 3 or 4 years ago. Sad to see what it has become.
LOL Sadly it'll get worse once the Raiders move there in 2 years.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

And sadly the basketball program isn't what it once was. UNLV should focus on basketball.
I'm good for 3!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:15 pm
Yep. The recruiting advantages of location are overblown. So are the disadvantages.

That said, proximity to fertile recruiting grounds is a big deal with respect to location. Even then, winning is most important
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:31 am
The higher-end places are fine, but you really don't want to leave those properties and go anywhere unless it's via limo. Hell, when we were coming back from SBS in a limo in 2016, we got caught up in a felony police stop right at Twain and Sierra Vista (naturally).

Staying at Venetian/ Palazzo, Cosmo, City Center, MGM, the Trop, or downtown at the Golden Nugget or the D is fine, but only for one or two nights max.

You certainly won't catch me walking Fremont or the Strip. And one should always use valet. The parking garages simply aren't safe anymore.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

It's the ______ most attractive coaching job in the mwc.

Boise, sdsu, uhhhhh

Somebody will click there and build a winner.