Eight MWC teams could be bowl eligible

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

I know it's premature, but could we be left out of a bowl even if we get to six wins?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Way too premature. Air Force is going to take an excellent game plan to leave with the win. Doesn’t look like we will have Ghaifan and that is a big loss against the Falcons.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:57 pm Way too premature. Air Force is going to take an excellent game plan to leave with the win. Doesn’t look like we will have Ghaifan and that is a big loss against the Falcons.
Is he gone for the rest of the season?
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

I didn't know that there was ever any question that he was gone for the rest of the season. I didn't Bohl is the type of guy to let him back. I hope he is playing for us next season.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:51 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:57 pm Way too premature. Air Force is going to take an excellent game plan to leave with the win. Doesn’t look like we will have Ghaifan and that is a big loss against the Falcons.
Looks to be the case. With the timing of his initial appearance and preliminary hearing, unlikely the matter will be resolved during this year even if a deal is made with the prosecutor (maybe by a bowl game). With those charges outstanding and not resolved, he will not be playing.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:57 pm
Looks to be the case. With the timing of his initial appearance and preliminary hearing, unlikely the matter will be resolved during this year even if a deal is made with the prosecutor (maybe by a bowl game). With those charges outstanding and not resolved, he will not be playing.
Are they felony or misdemeanor charges, or do we know at this point?

I suppose the "good news" is that because of this, he won't leave early for the NFL, at the very least. Really hope it turns out it was some weird sort of misunderstanding where while he did something wrong, it's not quite as bad as it sounds. :-/
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:29 pm

I suppose the "good news" is that because of this, he won't leave early for the NFL, at the very least. Really hope it turns out it was some weird sort of misunderstanding where while he did something wrong, it's not quite as bad as it sounds. :-/
Charged with 2 misdemeanors but relatively serious ones.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I actually have the opposite view. These are the type of charges that could get him suspended from the University itself for a year or so period under the University’s honor code (especially because it happened on a University trip). If that happens, his college career is effectively over and he will be declaring for the NFL and hoping to catch on with a team as an undrafted free agent with behavior concerns.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Personally, I don't think any 6 win team, especially if 1 or more of those wins is FCS, deserves a bowl game. Us or anyone else.

With that said, if half of FBS goes to a bowl then I hope we do too. However, the point of the thread is a good one even if premature. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Last edited by ragtimejoe1 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I hope we get one. That would stink to get left out, but whatever. Amazing we are even talking about a bowl at this point
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:24 am Personally, I don't think any 6 win team, especially if 1 or more of those wins is FCS, deserves a bowl game. Us or anyone else.

With that said, if half of FBS goes to a bowl then I hope we do too. However, the point of the thread is a good one even if premature. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
This so much...... Obviously I'd rather the pokes make a bowl than not, but going to a bowl does not mean anywhere close to what it used to... I absolutely hate how watered down the bowls are nowadays simply because of how many bowls there are.
I wish there were just a few bowls, so that if you made a bowl, it really meant something special.... nowadays, the standard for making it to a bowl is so low that to me it really doesn't mean all that much, but again, I'm not trying to take away from what the Pokes have done the last couple years, and if they make one again this year.... great!!! To make a bowl 3 straight years is definitely progress in the right direction.....

Just think the whole "bowl" scene in general is horribly watered down in this era of college football.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

I think there will only be 7 at most. Unlv and sjsu already eliminated. Csu still plays Utah st and a loss eliminates them. New Mexico still plays boise and a loss eliminates them. Afa and us play and whoever loses will be eliminated.

So I think it will be Utah st, boise, Fresno, SDSU, Hawaii, and Nevada. Then possibly us or afa if either of us two win out.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

To put in perspective how much of a joke the bowl system is these days.... aren't there something like 40 total bowls? I'm not 100% sure on the number or the number of participating teams..... but something like 60% of all FBS schools make a bowl. If my math is wrong someone can correct me. So, hypothetically, if making a bowl is to be considered the "pinnacle" achievement in college football, and making the NCAA tournament is to be considered the "pinnacle" achievement of college basketball, why is it that just under 20% of all D1 basketball programs are worthy of making it to the tournament, but football is far more skewed?

To make basketball comparable, one would have to invite something like 208 teams to the dance, which would be a colossal joke. Even if we add in the NIT, CBI, and CIT tournaments, less than 40% of all basketball programs get to advance to some sort of postseason play......

Obviously comparing apples to oranges, but just trying to make a point on just how bad the bowl system is in terms of rewarding undeserving teams with postseason accolades.... Probably something to do with money I suppose, but I don't really pay any attention to the lower level bowls unless the Pokes are playing in one so I really don't know.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

FarmerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 pm To put in perspective how much of a joke the bowl system is these days.... aren't there something like 40 total bowls? I'm not 100% sure on the number or the number of participating teams..... but something like 60% of all FBS schools make a bowl. If my math is wrong someone can correct me. So, hypothetically, if making a bowl is to be considered the "pinnacle" achievement in college football, and making the NCAA tournament is to be considered the "pinnacle" achievement of college basketball, why is it that just under 20% of all D1 basketball programs are worthy of making it to the tournament, but football is far more skewed?

To make basketball comparable, one would have to invite something like 208 teams to the dance, which would be a colossal joke. Even if we add in the NIT, CBI, and CIT tournaments, less than 40% of all basketball programs get to advance to some sort of postseason play......

Obviously comparing apples to oranges, but just trying to make a point on just how bad the bowl system is in terms of rewarding undeserving teams with postseason accolades.... Probably something to do with money I suppose, but I don't really pay any attention to the lower level bowls unless the Pokes are playing in one so I really don't know.
As you point out, apples to oranges. Bowl games are largely associated with FBS football. There are 125 FCS football teams but only 24 that make the playoffs (a little less than 20%). If you add up the total amount of Division 1 football teams (from FBS and FCS) that make the 'postseason' it is a combined approximate 40%. Accordingly, a similar amount of Division 1 teams make a postseason appearance in both basketball and football. It is just that the bigger/power conference teams make up a larger share of Division 1 postseason births in both football and basketball.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:28 pm
FarmerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 pm To put in perspective how much of a joke the bowl system is these days.... aren't there something like 40 total bowls? I'm not 100% sure on the number or the number of participating teams..... but something like 60% of all FBS schools make a bowl. If my math is wrong someone can correct me. So, hypothetically, if making a bowl is to be considered the "pinnacle" achievement in college football, and making the NCAA tournament is to be considered the "pinnacle" achievement of college basketball, why is it that just under 20% of all D1 basketball programs are worthy of making it to the tournament, but football is far more skewed?

As you point out, apples to oranges. Bowl games are largely associated with FBS football. There are 125 FCS football teams but only 24 that make the playoffs (a little less than 20%). If you add up the total amount of Division 1 football teams (from FBS and FCS) that make the 'postseason' it is a combined approximate 40%. Accordingly, a similar amount of Division 1 teams make a postseason appearance in both basketball and football. It is just that the bigger/power conference teams make up a larger share of Division 1 postseason births in both football and basketball.
That is a good point. Don't pay attention to FCS football at all, so didn't honestly consider factoring in playoff teams from FCS schools. I was mainly comparing the top "tier" of football, with the top "tier" of basketball, where football is broken into 2 tiers at the D1 level.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:49 am

I actually have the opposite view. These are the type of charges that could get him suspended from the University itself for a year or so period under the University’s honor code (especially because it happened on a University trip). If that happens, his college career is effectively over and he will be declaring for the NFL and hoping to catch on with a team as an undrafted free agent with behavior concerns.
I'm told that Ghaifan's court appearance is November 26th with sentencing on December 12th. Also told that the harassment charge is a misdemeanor and the false imprisonment charge could be a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the judges interpretation of the situation. Under Colorado law a ticket can be issued for false Imprisonment if a person blocks a doorway or hallway during an argument (easy to do when your are 6-4 290lbs), and a person can be cited for harassment if they cuss at or flip someone off in a public place. Just what I was told, I have not verified any of this information.

Since the last regular season game is on Nov. 24th I do not see Ghaifan's situation resolved before the end of the regular season.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I'm really starting to think 6-6 would get left out. Was looking at bowl projections and I'm not sure where we would pick up additional bowls that would be required to get a 6-6 WYO team in.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

MWC BOWL POSSIBILITIES

New Years Six Bowl: If the MWC Champion is the highest ranking Group of 5 (Barring a collapse by UCF, I don't see our champion being ranked higher).

Las Vegas Bowl: Gets first pick after the New Years Six

Cheese-It Bowl: Gets the next pick after the Las Vegas Bowl if there are not enough Big 12 and PAC 12 bowl eligible teams (At this time it appears both conferences will have enough bowl eligible teams).

New Mexico Bowl, Idaho Potato Bowl, and Hawaii Bowl: Filled via negotiations between the MWC and bowl leadership.

Arizona Bowl : Gets the next pick from MWC teams.

Red Box Bowl: Gets the next pick if there are not enough Big 10 or Big 12 teams that are bowl eligible (at this time it appears both conferences will have enough bowl eligible teams).

Frisco Bowl: Has the option of selecting a team from the C-USA, MAC, MWC or BYU.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

TrackPoke wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:52 am MWC BOWL POSSIBILITIES

New Years Six Bowl: If the MWC Champion is the highest ranking Group of 5 (Barring a collapse by UCF, I don't see our champion being ranked higher).

Las Vegas Bowl: Gets first pick after the New Years Six

Cheese-It Bowl: Gets the next pick after the Las Vegas Bowl if there are not enough Big 12 and PAC 12 bowl eligible teams (At this time it appears both conferences will have enough bowl eligible teams).

New Mexico Bowl, Idaho Potato Bowl, and Hawaii Bowl: Filled via negotiations between the MWC and bowl leadership.

Arizona Bowl : Gets the next pick from MWC teams.

Red Box Bowl: Gets the next pick if there are not enough Big 10 or Big 12 teams that are bowl eligible (at this time it appears both conferences will have enough bowl eligible teams).

Frisco Bowl: Has the option of selecting a team from the C-USA, MAC, MWC or BYU.
If we win out we would be the 7th and final MWC team bowl eligible. Sounds like we either need UCF to lose and Utah State to win out or hope that we get picked up by the Red Box bowl or the Frisco Bowl.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

As of right now, there are 64 bowl eligible teams (5 in the MWC, Hawaii is not yet eligible, they need 1 more win), and there are 24 more teams that are either 1 win away or 2 wins against easily beatable opponents. If all of the win, that is 92 teams for 80 spots...need some of those 24 teams to lose.