After watching this weeks slate of MWC games...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:35 pm Question is, do you sit him the last game if it is a near certainty that despite a potential 6-6 record, there are too many 7+ win teams for the POKES to make a bowl game?
No. We owe it to the seniors and the fans. Build a winning culture. No guarantees.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

phxpoke wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:40 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:35 pm Question is, do you sit him the last game if it is a near certainty that despite a potential 6-6 record, there are too many 7+ win teams for the POKES to make a bowl game?
No. We owe it to the seniors and the fans. Build a winning culture. No guarantees.
Completely agree. IF he turns into a 3 1/2 year starter, that's still 3 more years to find a replacement too. Three straight years at .500 or better is something this program hasn't had in a LONG time, and trending that way should at least give us a slightly better perception to recruits all over.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

If we have the chance to get to 6-6.....I say just play him.....if we lose vs AF.....there's no need to play him.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Bowl game is huge. Isn't it nearly the equivalent of spring practice in amount of additional practices allowed for your program.

A four game winning streak might be one of the longer ones going by then. Wyoming is just playing so good.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Need to win now, even if it doesn't produce a bowl game
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

I can see both sides. If I were in Bohl's shoes and it was essentially locked that we would not get a bowl game regardless, I'd probably see what Chambers wanted to do with his educational goals in mind. Pros may or may not happen but a college degree can. Does he want the additional scholarship year or burn it for 1 meaningless game? A meaningless game that Nico can probably do enough on O to win.

I don't know. I can see a lot of different angles to the decision.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:21 pm If we have the chance to get to 6-6.....I say just play him.....if we lose vs AF.....there's no need to play him.
If I was a sentimental man, I’ve give nick a shot to get his first win against NM if we lost to AF
W-Y, Until I Die!
svpoke
Buckaroo

You've got to play to win, not matter what. I don't know the kid but I doubt that Chambers would be OK with sitting.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

On one hand, yes, you play to win. On the other hand, you also plan to win in the future.

A win vs. UNM in a 5-7 season vs.
An entire year of eligibility for the future face of the program

I just can't bring myself to say we should start him no matter what.
What if we end up sacrificing a year of eligibility for a LOSS during a 4-8 season? Yikes.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

I say play him regardless. We need to go into the off season on a positive note.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

J-Bone wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:24 am I say play him regardless. We need to go into the off season on a positive note.
So, by "positive note", you mean burn an entire season for half of one?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

It is really simple. With a win over AF, Chambers plays the rest of the season. With a loss to AF, Chambers sits and redshirts. This is the only plausible way to proceed for the coaching staff.

What some really need to keep in mind is that even if Chambers redshirt is burned, he is still saving something of value. That is, the redshirt can be used in any season in which a player appears in 4 games or less. Given Chambers style of play, it is possible if not very likely that Chambers gets injured and is forced to miss time at some point during his career at UW. Hopefully not but that is the reality.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 pm It is really simple. With a win over AF, Chambers plays the rest of the season. With a loss to AF, Chambers sits and redshirts. This is the only plausible way to proceed for the coaching staff.

What some really need to keep in mind is that even if Chambers redshirt is burned, he is still saving something of value. That is, the redshirt can be used in any season in which a player appears in 4 games or less. Given Chambers style of play, it is possible if not very likely that Chambers gets injured and is forced to miss time at some point during his career at UW. Hopefully not but that is the reality.
+1. Win vs AF, he plays @ NM. Lose this Saturday, he should sit @ NM
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

Wyovanian wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:44 am
J-Bone wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:24 am I say play him regardless. We need to go into the off season on a positive note.
So, by "positive note", you mean burn an entire season for half of one?
It's demoralizing to our players and fanbase to basically surrender at the end of the season and not try our best. Those feelings will linger for another eight months until the season starts up again. If our program teaches "toughness", they should've give up.

We'd still have three seasons to recruit another QB. There's no guarantee Chambers would stick around anyway.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

J-Bone wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:08 pm We'd still have three seasons to recruit another QB. There's no guarantee Chambers would stick around anyway.
Who was the last starting QB we had who DID stick around for 5 years?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:16 pm
J-Bone wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:08 pm We'd still have three seasons to recruit another QB. There's no guarantee Chambers would stick around anyway.
Who was the last starting QB we had who DID stick around for 5 years?
Technically...Nick Smith
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:43 pm
WyoBrandX wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:22 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:50 am No. Beating god awful CSU and SJSU does not make us a contender.
Yes - we could have contended for the championship with enough variation in our offense to screw up the defense.

We are not as bad as we are - we just suck because our coaches keep throwing the ball at the wall and expecting it to bounce the same way.

Its first and goal at the 50. We got some work to do.
And if your aunt had balls she’d be your uncle. We’re 4-6.
And if you had balls you wouldn't whine so much.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

WyoBrandX wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:17 pm And if you had balls you wouldn't whine so much.
Whiniest person I've ever known had truck nuts on his Dodge Ram... then again, maybe he was making up for something.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 pm It is really simple. With a win over AF, Chambers plays the rest of the season. With a loss to AF, Chambers sits and redshirts. This is the only plausible way to proceed for the coaching staff.

I should have stayed silent :(

Hopefully Chambers will be ready by next year.