Damn, this is the best recruiting class that I can remember

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:19 am I don't see too much use in hyping this class up until these guys actually see the field and give us results. We certainly got some good recruits, but I think it's a little early to put up a mission accomplished banner on the HAPC as the be all end all fix to our football problems, as many seem to believe. 247 sports has us at 6th best recruiting class in the MWC, and 99 in the country with this class. While that's an increase from 12th in the MWC and 127th nationally in 2018, it's an identical national ranking from the 99 they had us at in 2017. That's not a bad thing to match your best class as a coach, but it wasn't a huge increase as one might expect. Also, the Glenn/Christensen transition had higher nationally ranked recruiting classes (ranging form 74th to mid 90's), at least according to 247. This is all way subjective, as you never know what you have until you get to look back at the results, but it raises several questions. Did the HAPC actually give us a good recruiting bump this year that was negated by last year's season, coaching attrition and our problems on offense? Did it make no difference and our coaches just hit another "good" class like they did in 2017? Is it somewhere in between? Five years from now we'll have a much better idea.

Aside from that, I don't think anyone ever said the HAPC would not help recruiting. It obviously isn't gonna hurt, but most of the discussion was whether we were really getting ahead of the competition vs keeping up, was the cost worth it at the time, would our bad offense and questionable coaching decisions at times offset the positives from the HAPC with recruiting in the short term, would the problems of recruiting students from across the country to a place like Laramie be offset by HAPC etc...
I can't talk about the Christiansen/Glenn recruiting classes much, but this class has more/better 'P5' & MWC offers than the 2017 class. I would rank this one on paper better than that class. BUT time will tell.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:30 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:23 pm On paper, this is Wyoming's best class I can remember.

There were threads earlier this season indicating that the HAPC was a waste of money. Well year 1 of recruiting results are in...
Now we just need to get some bag men out there to start distributing money.... :cool:
Ive often wondered about this kind of thing happening at our level. It's obviously happening in G5, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was happening to some extent in non G5 schools.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
hutchenc
Buckaroo

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:20 pm
303cowboy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:19 pm

holy sh*t! what a day!
Damn. This is a helluva recruiting class...

Wyoming is beating out teams like ASU... HELL YES!
Actually, ASU is beating out Wyoming in terms of recruiting ranking. ASU is in the top 50% ranking in their (arguably) better conference. UW is in the bottom 50% (ranked number 7 now, after NSD 2) in their not competitive conference. These rankings are according to 247.

Nice win for UW on this one recruit for sure, but UW isn't out-recruiting any Pac12 school.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

hutchenc wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:52 am

holy sh*t! what a day!

Actually, ASU is beating out Wyoming in terms of recruiting ranking. ASU is in the top 50% ranking in their (arguably) better conference. UW is in the bottom 50% (ranked number 7 now, after NSD 2) in their not competitive conference. These rankings are according to 247.

Nice win for UW on this one recruit for sure, but UW isn't out-recruiting any Pac12 school.
NOBODY on here said Wyoming has out recruited ASU or any other Pac12 school, simply that on this one kid we came out on top. It is also pretty amazing to see good old 247 put kids down as 3 star recruits while they are on the radar of a P5 program, then they sign with a G5 school like Wyoming, and you see the rankings reduced to 2 or even 1 star. If this kid had an offer from Clemson or Bama, and signed with either, you would have seen him go to a 4 or 5 star recruit.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Let's go for bragging rights then to the guy defending ASU recruiting.

Wyo had Josh Allen
ASU had Brock Osweiler

And to hit home in case you're an ASU fan...

U of A had Nick Foles.

That being said I love this class.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

hutchenc wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:52 am

holy sh*t! what a day!

you might be mentally retarded
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:12 pmyou might be mentally retarded
Nah, anybody with a developmental handicap would have a legit excuse. This person's chosen to be this way. I almost wish they were a troll, but sadly, they truly seem to be legitimately stupid.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

bullbugle307 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:19 am I don't see too much use in hyping this class up until these guys actually see the field and give us results. We certainly got some good recruits, but I think it's a little early to put up a mission accomplished banner on the HAPC as the be all end all fix to our football problems, as many seem to believe. 247 sports has us at 6th best recruiting class in the MWC, and 99 in the country with this class. While that's an increase from 12th in the MWC and 127th nationally in 2018, it's an identical national ranking from the 99 they had us at in 2017. That's not a bad thing to match your best class as a coach, but it wasn't a huge increase as one might expect. Also, the Glenn/Christensen transition had higher nationally ranked recruiting classes (ranging form 74th to mid 90's), at least according to 247. This is all way subjective, as you never know what you have until you get to look back at the results, but it raises several questions. Did the HAPC actually give us a good recruiting bump this year that was negated by last year's season, coaching attrition and our problems on offense? Did it make no difference and our coaches just hit another "good" class like they did in 2017? Is it somewhere in between? Five years from now we'll have a much better idea.

Aside from that, I don't think anyone ever said the HAPC would not help recruiting. It obviously isn't gonna hurt, but most of the discussion was whether we were really getting ahead of the competition vs keeping up, was the cost worth it at the time, would our bad offense and questionable coaching decisions at times offset the positives from the HAPC with recruiting in the short term, would the problems of recruiting students from across the country to a place like Laramie be offset by HAPC etc...
While this may not be a sign that the HAPC is a cure for all difficulties at Wyo, it is encouraging to see. And while overall ranking did not go up, the average rating of signings moved up from .7883 to .8034 on 247. That is higher than any class Bohl has brought in. The only trend/correlation I'm looking at is getting two very good classes in three-year span. On top of being bowl eligible for three straight years, it's hard to not be optimistic about where things are at with the program.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
KeepitrealWyo
Buckaroo

Does the Talent on the Offensive side of the ball really matter when Senior Vigen is calling plays ??
Until we get rid of the Bum we will Suck on Offense and be a 500 team at best