Fire Vigen!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

DVDA wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:27 am
WyoBrandX wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:55 pm
DVDA wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:57 pm I think Chambers abilities as a runner kind of forced Vigen's hand to run more of a smash mouth spread option offense. It's interesting because his bread and butter pro style offense is dog poop while he tends to have some strengths designing pass plays off this spread option.
I don't recall seeing a bit of spread tonight. There were some options - but not much. Where did you pick up on this at?
There was a significant amount of shotgun read option plays and run/pass options. That's a spread option offense. I'm not sure what you are confused about. Obviously the offense isn't exclusively a spread option offense, but Vigen is using a lot of those plays now that he has a big running quarterback who isn't the greatest passer.
I'm far from a football guru - but i only saw that maybe one or two times. The lineman didn't spread themselves apart. The tightends didn't spread away from the tackles. The wide receivers didn't spread away from the TE's or the o-line. Explain to me what I'm missing?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:51 pm Well this thread aged well
Couldn't be happier about it. Will bring it up next week again if things look iffy.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 229 times

WyoBrandX wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:33 am
DVDA wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:57 pm I think Chambers abilities as a runner kind of forced Vigen's hand to run more of a smash mouth spread option offense. It's interesting because his bread and butter pro style offense is dog poop while he tends to have some strengths designing pass plays off this spread option.
I don't recall seeing a bit of spread tonight. There were some options - but not much. Where did you pick up on this at?
There was a significant amount of shotgun read option plays and run/pass options. That's a spread option offense. I'm not sure what you are confused about. Obviously the offense isn't exclusively a spread option offense, but Vigen is using a lot of those plays now that he has a big running quarterback who isn't the greatest passer.
I'm far from a football guru - but i only saw that maybe one or two times. The lineman didn't spread themselves apart. The tightends didn't spread away from the tackles. The wide receivers didn't spread away from the TE's or the o-line. Explain to me what I'm missing?
What we are running is in no way a spread. I suppose some of the read-option and run-pass option plays evolved from spread offenses but those plays are used regularly in NFL offenses now as well. Certainly more shotgun formation than a traditional pro-style but we are still about the furthest thing from a spread.

One play that I really liked was where Harshman lined up as a FB and was the lead blocker on the touchdown run. We can do so much out of that formation with Harshman’s skill set.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

They ran a lot of read option looks last night. Oline would zone block and shift while chambers would read the D end and make a choice to keep it or let the RB take it depending on what the D end does. It's very similar to a spread in the fact that they zone block instead of man to man like a pro set. Read option was born out of the spread as a better way to get mismatches on talent levels.

It's very different from what vigen has shown in the past and adapted to the skillset of his QB. I'm all for the change as you arent always going to get nfl caliber lineman and a great pocket passer. I've been waiting for vigen to adapt to the skillset of his players for 5 years. Keep it up Vigen!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Spread, zone read, air raid, pro-style....who cares!! It's all about execution... Would the best spread team of all time be better that the best pro-style team of all time?

There is nothing schematically superior in one system vs another. They each have strengths and weaknesses. You can win by having better athletes (like the big time programs do), or by being more fundamentally sound than your opponent. Wyoming beat Missouri because we made less mistakes...THAT is the way to success in college sports. THAT is why I'm a fan of Bohl/Vigen. They aren't perfect but they understand how to take the variability of the performance of young men and maximize it to their advantage. I hate how this gets talked about as if "get rid of Vigen and Championships will rain from the sky".

*Just to be clear...I get frustrated with play calling all the time...I just don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and I'm pretty sure that the wyonation message boarders and I are not the best judges of OC talent.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Deleted
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:56 am Spread, zone read, air raid, pro-style....who cares!! It's all about execution... Would the best spread team of all time be better that the best pro-style team of all time?

There is nothing schematically superior in one system vs another. They each have strengths and weaknesses. You can win by having better athletes (like the big time programs do), or by being more fundamentally sound than your opponent. Wyoming beat Missouri because we made less mistakes...THAT is the way to success in college sports. THAT is why I'm a fan of Bohl/Vigen. They aren't perfect but they understand how to take the variability of the performance of young men and maximize it to their advantage. I hate how this gets talked about as if "get rid of Vigen and Championships will rain from the sky".

*Just to be clear...I get frustrated with play calling all the time...I just don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and I'm pretty sure that the wyonation message boarders and I are not the best judges of OC talent.
I think our defense is going to be quite a bit stouter than it looked last night. Winning the turnover margin is always a good path to success. The linebackers and safeties were fast enough to keep up with Mizzou. The d-line was doing good stopping the run. No false starts on offense. The o-line opened up holes. We passed the ball occassionally. QB runs now and then. And we ran the ball.

We executed fairly well. We played clean. And I really don't think elevation has that much effect on an athlete. Not with the gaps in the game anyways. It probably has more effect in basketball than football.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Ahhhh - i see what your getting at now. I was a bit pedantic in how I interpreted your post.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

This game was Vigen-ball/Bohl-ball by the book. We completed 6 passes for God's sake. The past issues have come when in-game adjustments are needed and when the O-Line was subpar. As others have pointed out, Bohl has been letting on since camp that this offensive line is much better.

It's hard to know what to believe though. The system (or any system really) works well when you break 75 yard touchdown runs. It's easy to say you can't rely on that happening, but on the other hand maybe Chambers can break one almost every game. It's easy to say that at some point we will need more than 100 passing yards to win a football game. But on the other hand we just beat the most talented team on our schedule with 92.
wyohistoryguy
Buckaroo

I am now and have always been a fan of Vigen. He is a good coach and seems to be a good guy - I have never met him.
My take on our offense – It has not changed, we are still a multiple offense, but running more or much more spread option and RPOs. With a good coach, an offense will evolve according to player skill sets. With fewer drop back passes we need fewer protection schemes making it a bit easier for the O-line. This also allows more aggressive pass blocking than a pro-style team. The term spread offense was about spreading the defense and attacking both vertically and horizontally. The spread will always have three, or more, wide-outs, but line splits could vary from tight to Mike Leach wide. I think we will continue to see this offense changing and will see more of the QB trap and outside zone than we have in the past, and likely some wide (old Nebraska) option plays. As far as the passing game, it will get better, think we are still searching for consistency in our wides. We have an excellent group at tight end now so I would expect we will see few if any, four-wide or open sets. Nearly every spread team will attempt to run it more than throw it, although we may need to get to 25% to 30% pass plays (think more screens, tunnel, slip, and possibly more to the running backs and t-end) to keep the box spread out against the better teams.
Just a view from a, way over the hill guy - Go Pokes
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Man I have ragged on and talked poop about Vigen as much as anyone on this board. I find that overall I dont care for his playcalling. That being said, he had an amazing game. Its one game, but it appears that this team FINALLY has the players to implement this system. I was very impressed by BOTH lines. The OL was quite impressive and pushed Missouri around. I hope to see improvement every game.

Very well done Vigen. (just vomited in my mouth a little.....)
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:08 am This game was Vigen-ball/Bohl-ball by the book. We completed 6 passes for God's sake. The past issues have come when in-game adjustments are needed and when the O-Line was subpar. As others have pointed out, Bohl has been letting on since camp that this offensive line is much better.

It's hard to know what to believe though. The system (or any system really) works well when you break 75 yard touchdown runs. It's easy to say you can't rely on that happening, but on the other hand maybe Chambers can break one almost every game. It's easy to say that at some point we will need more than 100 passing yards to win a football game. But on the other hand we just beat the most talented team on our schedule with 92.
No doubt. On paper this Missouri team is the best team we will see this year. And I dont think the game was as close as the score indicated. Once Wyoming's offense got going, it dominated. The OL looked really good. They weren't overmatched and got GREAT push. I was very impressed with them. Lets pray for health and improvement over the course of the season.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I liked the aggressiveness from Vigen. It even seemed like he was too aggressive towards the end. It was either the last or second to last drive we had(anyway sometime late in the 4th) where we threw it on both 2nd down and third down and the announcers were commenting on it. After our offense came off the field it looked like Bohl was screaming into in headset. Looked like he wasn't pleased with the playcalls coming down. We could of ran off another minute or more with a couple runs not to mention probably pick up the first down with how we were running. I agree with Bohl on that instance but overall I liked howwe didn't turn completely one dimensional in the 4th and had some pass plays in there.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

TSpoke wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:46 am I liked the aggressiveness from Vigen. It even seemed like he was too aggressive towards the end. It was either the last or second to last drive we had(anyway sometime late in the 4th) where we threw it on both 2nd down and third down and the announcers were commenting on it. After our offense came off the field it looked like Bohl was screaming into in headset. Looked like he wasn't pleased with the playcalls coming down. We could of ran off another minute or more with a couple runs not to mention probably pick up the first down with how we were running. I agree with Bohl on that instance but overall I liked howwe didn't turn completely one dimensional in the 4th and had some pass plays in there.
It's such a fine line to thread when you get to these game ending situations... The right play or defensive alignment with a ten point lead in the third quarter vs 3:10 left in the fourth is not totally obvious. I think fans and announcers fall into looking at the outcomes to decide if a certain decision was good or not.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:22 am
Poke in New England wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:08 am This game was Vigen-ball/Bohl-ball by the book. We completed 6 passes for God's sake. The past issues have come when in-game adjustments are needed and when the O-Line was subpar. As others have pointed out, Bohl has been letting on since camp that this offensive line is much better.

No doubt. On paper this Missouri team is the best team we will see this year. And I dont think the game was as close as the score indicated. Once Wyoming's offense got going, it dominated. The OL looked really good. They weren't overmatched and got GREAT push. I was very impressed with them. Lets pray for health and improvement over the course of the season.
I agree. It shoulda been something like 44-17. Had we gotten a late TD instead of the field goal, which saved our butts, and not gifted them two easy TDs in the first quarter.....
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

On the other hand, it appears that every play in the book was used, giving the next opponent something to work with.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:31 am On the other hand, it appears that every play in the book was used, giving the next opponent something to work with.
Pretty much the same system we ran with Chambers last season. Mizzou knew what to expect and looked hopeless at times. This is by far the most physical O line Bohl has had yet. Mizzou played with 8 in the box the entire game and couldn't slow us down. Doesn't matter when you dominate the line.