Passing Game...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:05 pm
DVDA wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:52 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:09 am
Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:50 am AFA caught Colorado off-guard by its passing attack, which was credited as a large part of its victory over CU. But the Pokes will have no surprises in that respect unless they can alternate a QB in for passing when necessary
You can't really believe that going back to TVW is a good idea. Pretty incredible that your throwing Chambers under the bus for the lack of passing. I didn't see any receivers running free yesterday. I also didn't see great pass protection either. Whatever Chambers weaknesses are, he hasn't turned the ball over 1 time this year.
How many passes did he throw a rocket into the receivers feet or to the very top of their catch radius. Chambers had plenty of open throws yesterday and all season. His problem is in his head because his accuracy has been dog poop all year. Then he compounds his problem by throwing as hard as he can trying to be Josh Allen Jr.

Edit: I'm not saying we need TVW. I'm just saying Chambers is the biggest problem with the Wyoming passing game. He is making Tim Tebow look like an all-time passing quarterback right now.
Chambers has attempted 46 passes in three games
There is a reason for that and it has to do with accuracy.
castlerocker
Cowpoke

It's amazing that a one dimensional player can do as well as Chambers has done.

It's also amazing that he made it to the division one level not being able to
pass the football. The guy has a lot of grit but if he hasn't learnt to pass
by now, it most likely isn't going to happen.

It will be interesting to see what Bohl and Chambers pull out of their bag of tricks.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:32 am I think we are gonna see some QB shuffling by the end of the year. Especially with Freshman getting to play in 4 games.
I'm guessing we'll see Levi in some games where the score has gotten out of hand. If we would have taken care of business like we should have Saturday we probably would have seen him then.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

You guys realize that a top-10 NFL draft pick struggled in this offense? What do you expect from mere mortals? This has way less to do with Sean's (or Tyler's) ability to throw the football than the poop offense we run here at UW. Sean can throw the football and would thrive throwing the ball with real coaching and a real offense.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

castlerocker wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:58 am ...if he hasn't learnt to pass by now, it most likely isn't going to happen.
Remember a guy named John Hadl who was QB for the Chargers? Well when he was at Kansas he was recruited as a RB. But the coach was lacking for a QB and he said he would make his best player the QB. Hadl worked countless hours practicing passing - even going to the field on his own throwing the ball at a tire suspended and swinging from the goal post. And look what happened.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:40 am You guys realize that a top-10 NFL draft pick struggled in this offense? What do expect from mere mortals? This has way less to do with Sean's (or Tyler's) ability to throw the football than the poop offense we run here at UW. Sean can throw the football and would thrive throwing the ball with real coaching and a real offense.
Bingo. I remember in 2017 that posters on this board were complaining about Josh's accuracy. In fact, I remember one poster (jc in the rock or whatever his idiot handle is) was longing for a qb change. We got one of course, after Josh's injury. That worked out really well.
We have a head coach and OC who just want to run, and throw as a last resort. As a result, the passing game suffers.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:40 am You guys realize that a top-10 NFL draft pick struggled in this offense? What do you expect from mere mortals? This has way less to do with Sean's (or Tyler's) ability to throw the football than the poop offense we run here at UW. Sean can throw the football and would thrive throwing the ball with real coaching and a real offense.
Sad but true: we never got to see peak Josh Allen because he was held back by a system that was not set up for him to have the most success. As good as he was, realize he should have been even better.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Tyler Vander Waal and Sean Chambers both knew how to throw the ball in high school. TVW threw for almost 3,000 yards on 333 passes his senior season alone with > 60% completions. Then he comes here, redshirts a year and then every throw he gets to make is going across the field sideline to sideline on third down and completes 120 of 246 for 1,300 yards.

Only reason Sean Chambers had an okay completion percentage last year is probably that whomever is in charge of quarterbacks didn't have time to screw his technique over too, since he was a true freshman.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Josh Allen struggled in 17 because he had to throw on 3rd and 8 on a huge amount of passing plays. This offense works when it has a NFL qb,nfl WR, NFl TE rb, and good secondary receiving options. Why would TVW and Chambers find success if they Allen couldn’t? At least Chambers has a shot with the running part of his game but it is crazy we are getting the yards we are with 8 to 9 players stacked in the box.
IowaCowboy
Buckaroo

WyoVaquero wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:45 am True. And I dont put all this blame on Chambers, but there is no way pokes beat Boise, AF, SDSU or USU continuing like this.
100% agree. Our losing starts this weekend if we don't change dramatically on the offensive side of the ball.