Athletics Department did a terrible job today. Gameday atmosphere was terrible

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Endless tributes to Premier Bone & Joint (thrilling!), Ag Day whatever, steer -a-year whatever, black 14 (can this just go away already?), useless stupid coal under the hat thing for the 500th time, :roll:. Endless DJ dance party crap. No engaging the fans, no letting the band play, no W-Y-O cheer til the fourth qtr. no beeer song til everyone is basically checked out, no announcing national & regional scores. Just crap. Let the band play!!!

The AD basically put 29k people to sleep! Didn't think it could done, but they did. :thumbdown: sucks we laid an egg for the biggest crowd in recent memory. Oh, the offense sucked and was appallingly boring. Great recipe to capture the casual fan, Bohl & Burman!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

The Black 14 was decades overdue, and was a major event in the school's history.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

fromolwyoming wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:44 pm The Black 14 was decades overdue, and was a major event in the school's history.
That was fine. Should have been a halftime thing, though
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Part of the problem is the game itself. There is so much dead time. Reviews for targeting, endless time outs and plenty of change of possessions. They need a gimmick like inflatable. Fans used to love inflatable doing the worm down the field. Get a new dance team to perform during timeouts. But yeah, they need to something other than what they're doing.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:15 pm Part of the problem is the game itself. There is so much dead time. Reviews for targeting, endless time outs and plenty of change of possessions. They need a gimmick like inflatable. Fans used to love inflatable doing the worm down the field. Get a new dance team to perform during timeouts. But yeah, they need to something other than what they're doing.
perfect for letting the band play
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Its not quite as fun as it used to be, but i am gettin some years on me as well, it was good to hear WYO in full throat, but yes time outs and lack of atmosphere need to be focused on
Wicks
Blog Team

You make some great points and this has been a problem for many years. From my time on the UW fan board, I can tell you what the main problem is.

Believe it or not, the Athletic Department doesn't control the in-game entertainment at the War and the AA. They have sold those right to Learfield Sports or whatever they are called now for money. They run the show and set the schedule of what happens when and to make things worse it's all scripted and doesn't take into account the action on the court or field. That's why the timeouts are all filled with meaningless sponsorships and very little of the band and cheerleaders. The University doesn't make very much money from this and they were thinking of not renewing the contract but obviously they haven't.

If you don't like the atmosphere I urge you all to contact the Athletic Department and let them know.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Wicks wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:48 am You make some great points and this has been a problem for many years. From my time on the UW fan board, I can tell you what the main problem is.

Believe it or not, the Athletic Department doesn't control the in-game entertainment at the War and the AA. They have sold those right to Learfield Sports or whatever they are called now for money. They run the show and set the schedule of what happens when and to make things worse it's all scripted and doesn't take into account the action on the court or field. That's why the timeouts are all filled with meaningless sponsorships and very little of the band and cheerleaders. The University doesn't make very much money from this and they were thinking of not renewing the contract but obviously they haven't.

If you don't like the atmosphere I urge you all to contact the Athletic Department and let them know.
However, it was more than likely Learfield that paid for the new video board in the endzone.. so cutting off that nose might be a spendy adventure.
ImageImageImageImage
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Well, could it be that major college sports is now just purely a business and not much else?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wicks wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:48 am You make some great points and this has been a problem for many years. From my time on the UW fan board, I can tell you what the main problem is.

Thanks for the info
Wicks
Blog Team

MrTitleist wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:23 pm

However, it was more than likely Learfield that paid for the new video board in the endzone.. so cutting off that nose might be a spendy adventure.
This is 100% not the case.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I would think they could sub out the dj dance party stuff for the band regardless
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Wicks wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:04 pm

This is 100% not the case.
That would surprise me, I guess.. because Learfield bought the new video board at Washington Grizzly last year, as well as the new center hanging video in the Montana basketball arena.
ImageImageImageImage
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

What are they gonna do, back up their flat bed and take it with them?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:34 pm

What are they gonna do, back up their flat bed and take it with them?
They might.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I think I know what hair style landerpoke sports

W-Y, Until I Die!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:45 pm I think I know what hair style landerpoke sports

:lol:

Honestly, thought it was fine. They did the WYO cheer more than once. I remember once right before the game started which I thought was a good move. The black 14 thing was great and it was at halftime. Maybe there was another thing for them that wasn't at halftime?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:45 pm I think I know what hair style landerpoke sports

The joke went over my head, sorry. You'll have to explain this one :|

She looks like a woman who might complain about everything. If so, touche
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:50 am

The joke went over my head, sorry. You'll have to explain this one :|

She looks like a woman who might complain about everything. If so, touche
It's ok Karen, not everyone gets the internet. I'm sure you can speak to a manager about it though.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

DVDA wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:13 am

It's ok Karen, not everyone gets the internet. I'm sure you can speak to a manager about it though.
Looks like your wife