Allen Smith III - Yikes

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

A Wyoming football player is facing felony charges after allegedly pointing an unloaded handgun at two people during an incident last week.

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... -top-story
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I heard it was an air soft gun
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

According to the story, it was a pellet gun and he was threatening anyone seriously. It wasn't for nefarious purposes.

Very distasteful, inappropriate, and immature - yes. Serious crime that deserves jail time and a felony conviction - no.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

J-Bone wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:31 pm According to the story, it was a pellet gun and he was threatening anyone seriously. It wasn't for nefarious purposes.

Very distasteful, inappropriate, and immature - yes. Serious crime that deserves jail time and a felony conviction - no.
What!?!?!? The story specifically says the victims thought the gun was real and thought they were going to die. He will get his day in court. But If these allegations are found to be true, they meet the very definition of felony assault.

Just because it was an air soft gun, does not mean it didn’t cause substantial harm to the victims. Some of those guns look very very real.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Heard it is josh Allen and Brett smiths love child :lol:
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

One of the State of Wyoming's definitions of assault:

"Threatens to use a drawn deadly weapon on another."

Will be interesting how this plays out.

Prosecution, I assume, will argue it's the threat that makes it assault. Whether the gun was actually deadly or not is irrelevent since he made it seem it was. Defense will probably argue since it isn't a deadly weapon, the threat wasn't legit?

I think I'd say prosecution has the better case.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 pm One of the State of Wyoming's definitions of assault:

Prosecution, I assume, will argue it's the threat that makes it assault. Whether the gun was actually deadly or not is irrelevent since he made it seem it was. Defense will probably argue since it isn't a deadly weapon, the threat wasn't legit?

Could end up being a felony menacing charge. Weapon doesn't have to be real in that case.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

poke_addict wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:52 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 pm One of the State of Wyoming's definitions of assault:

Could end up being a felony menacing charge. Weapon doesn't have to be real in that case.
Good point. I’d also suggest reading Thompson v. State (2018). The court found that both a clay art piece and a beer bottle were sufficient deadly weapon threats under 6-2-502 aggravated assault.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Ignorant move, pellet gun, airsoft gun, .44 cal, whatever. We don't need that poop at UW, it needs to stay at Nebraska and CU.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
castlerocker
Cowpoke

If someone asked 'if you wanted to see their gun', would it be bad
manners to say NO?
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

castlerocker wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:54 pm If someone asked 'if you wanted to see their gun', would it be bad
manners to say NO?

No - its not bad manners at all to say no. Its bad manners to ask to see someone's gun.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Released from the team according to reports. Not surprising. And from what I have heard there is now a real question as to whether it was an 'air soft' or a real gun. Either way, very serious criminal charge.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

castlerocker wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:54 pm If someone asked 'if you wanted to see their gun', would it be bad
manners to say NO?
It's a matter of "I'll show you mine if you show me yours"
cheypoke
Ranch Hand

I understand he took a plea deal already, has withdrawn from school and is already gone.