Season's far from over

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:23 pm
bullbugle307 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:20 pm What really bugs me is that Bohl and Vigen seem to care more about identity than winning. Bohl was so happy about rushing for 140 yds or whatever it was against SDSU because it was more than they typically allow. That's all he seemed to care about. I don't want to see Bohl fired, but I also won't accept this poop offense any longer. We could be seriously contending for the MW championship this year if we had any passing game to speak of. Our passing game is the joke of NCAA football right now and it's the only thing holding us back anymore but Bohl and Vigen are too damn bullheaded to do anything about it. If we want to achieve the goal of winning the MW, our recievers coach and Vigen need to go. That's all there is to it at this point.
Downright bizarre stuff from Bohl in the press conference this week. Took a question from a reporter about the passing offense and pivoted into blaming the defense for not getting a late stop. Imagine being on that defense playing their asses off at both Tulsa and SDSU and hearing that. Last I checked we were in the 100s in total offense and sandwiched between all the triple option teams in the 130s in passing offense. But if the defense isn't the '85 Bears then it's their fault :roll:
I think that Bohl feels that our best chance to win that game was to stop a mediocre offense from going the length of the field and scoring a touchdown late in the fourth. In both of our losses... The defense has given up a go ahead touchdown on a long drive.

I don't really think Bohl has answers for this passing game... At least no answers that will help the pokes this season. At this point, wishing we could pass the ball is merely that... Wishful thinking. I was watching the SDSU game with my brother and we were both surprised that we didn't get the stop at the end... And completely unsurprised that we couldn't get down the field and score to take back the lead.

Maybe Chambers progresses as a passer while he is here... I'm in the camp that he's not a great passer but he shouldn't need to be. If his WR's were turning a few of his bad passes into catches and not dropping his decent passes this offense would look worlds different. As I've said before... Love Conway's toughness but him and the rest of the WR's can be taken out of our passing game by average coverage teams. Nobody respects our passing game and throwing to the tight end more does not fix this.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

J-Rod wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:49 am Was surprised to see the Pokes rank 125th in passing yards allowed. Shocking stat when considering the quality of QBs has faced. Of course, the rushing defense ranks 10th so nobody is establishing the run against Wyoming. Still, aside from Kelly Bryant, the QBR's of those other QBs are 88th, 91st, 118th, and 120th (couldn't find one for Idaho). November will test this team.

Still should be 6-2 going into the bye. All to play for.
Is this really a surprise losing both 4 year starting safeties to the NFL?!? I didn’t expect the secondary to be good this year. The ‘bend but don’t break’ model is actually pretty decent for what we have. Other teams have quickly figured out the strategy to gain yards ...throw to the side of the field that Tyler Hall isn’t on.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

307bball wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:46 pm
bullbugle307 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:20 pm What really bugs me is that Bohl and Vigen seem to care more about identity than winning. Bohl was so happy about rushing for 140 yds or whatever it was against SDSU because it was more than they typically allow. That's all he seemed to care about. I don't want to see Bohl fired, but I also won't accept this poop offense any longer. We could be seriously contending for the MW championship this year if we had any passing game to speak of. Our passing game is the joke of NCAA football right now and it's the only thing holding us back anymore but Bohl and Vigen are too damn bullheaded to do anything about it. If we want to achieve the goal of winning the MW, our recievers coach and Vigen need to go. That's all there is to it at this point.
Downright bizarre stuff from Bohl in the press conference this week. Took a question from a reporter about the passing offense and pivoted into blaming the defense for not getting a late stop. Imagine being on that defense playing their asses off at both Tulsa and SDSU and hearing that. Last I checked we were in the 100s in total offense and sandwiched between all the triple option teams in the 130s in passing offense. But if the defense isn't the '85 Bears then it's their fault :roll:
I think that Bohl feels that our best chance to win that game was to stop a mediocre offense from going the length of the field and scoring a touchdown late in the fourth. In both of our losses... The defense has given up a go ahead touchdown on a long drive.

I don't really think Bohl has answers for this passing game... At least no answers that will help the pokes this season. At this point, wishing we could pass the ball is merely that... Wishful thinking. I was watching the SDSU game with my brother and we were both surprised that we didn't get the stop at the end... And completely unsurprised that we couldn't get down the field and score to take back the lead.

Maybe Chambers progresses as a passer while he is here... I'm in the camp that he's not a great passer but he shouldn't need to be. If his WR's were turning a few of his bad passes into catches and not dropping his decent passes this offense would look worlds different. As I've said before... Love Conway's toughness but him and the rest of the WR's can be taken out of our passing game by average coverage teams. Nobody respects our passing game and throwing to the tight end more does not fix this.
Seems likely to me the defense was worn down by the 4th quarter. You can thank consecutive 3 and outs to start the second half for that. I don't have the breakdown by half but I'm willing to bet Wyoming went into half with more TOP and ended up behind 33:23-26:37. If Wyoming's formula is asking the defense to give up 20 points or less, our ceiling really will be 7 wins every year.

As far as Bohl, he is paid damn well to figure this thing out and find the answers. Because we have seen it since Bohl and Vigen have been here (even with a top-10 draft pick at QB), i'm not willing to put it only on Chambers or our receivers, nor do I think it's fair to fall back on our "hard-nosed identity" and blame the losses on not having an all-world defense. It stars and ends with coaching, period.

307bball
WyoNation Addict

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:51 pm

Seems likely to me the defense was worn down by the 4th quarter. You can thank consecutive 3 and outs to start the second half for that. I don't have the breakdown by half but I'm willing to bet Wyoming went into half with more TOP and ended up behind 33:23-26:37. If Wyoming's formula is asking the defense to give up 20 points or less, our ceiling really will be 7 wins every year.

As far as Bohl, he is paid damn well to figure this thing out and find the answers. Because we have seen it since Bohl and Vigen have been here (even with a top-10 draft pick at QB), i'm not willing to put it only on Chambers or our receivers, nor do I think it's fair to fall back on our "hard-nosed identity" and blame the losses on not having an all-world defense. It stars and ends with coaching, period.

I'm not blaming the losses on not having an all-world defense...i'm also not blaming the losses on a terrible passing offense.

I think I'm being misunderstood when I say that I don't think Bohl has the answer to our passing game struggles. Like any coach at his level...he's better at what he does than 99.99% of the people out there. All of the coaches like him understand the game far better than us armchair QB's. The limitations come into play when your are trying to teach young men how to execute, and to understand the talents/abilities/limitations of the personnel your happen to be dealing with. As others have stated...I think in a lot of ways, this group is not a great fit for success in the passing game. (This is not a bedrock fact...it is my opinion)

I don't characterize Bohl's response to the question about offense as "bizzarre". Wyoming is a stronger defensive team than they are offensive. As I said earlier, it's a bigger red flag to me that SDSU and Tulsa had length of the field drives to beat us than it is that our offense couldn't answer with two-minute drills of it's own.

This BS that Bohl is not putting guys into a position to win has got to die off...turn off the tape of both the SDSU game and the Tulsa game after Wyoming scores to go ahead in the fourth and who is not feeling good about our chances? That is the definition of being in a position to win the game.

The conversation about the terrible passing game is one that needs to be had, but i'm not saying that it is the only thing going on when this team has lost.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

307bball wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:46 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:51 pm

I'm not blaming the losses on not having an all-world defense...i'm also not blaming the losses on a terrible passing offense.

I think I'm being misunderstood when I say that I don't think Bohl has the answer to our passing game struggles. Like any coach at his level...he's better at what he does than 99.99% of the people out there. All of the coaches like him understand the game far better than us armchair QB's. The limitations come into play when your are trying to teach young men how to execute, and to understand the talents/abilities/limitations of the personnel your happen to be dealing with. As others have stated...I think in a lot of ways, this group is not a great fit for success in the passing game. (This is not a bedrock fact...it is my opinion)

I don't characterize Bohl's response to the question about offense as "bizzarre". Wyoming is a stronger defensive team than they are offensive. As I said earlier, it's a bigger red flag to me that SDSU and Tulsa had length of the field drives to beat us than it is that our offense couldn't answer with two-minute drills of it's own.

This BS that Bohl is not putting guys into a position to win has got to die off...turn off the tape of both the SDSU game and the Tulsa game after Wyoming scores to go ahead in the fourth and who is not feeling good about our chances? That is the definition of being in a position to win the game.

The conversation about the terrible passing game is one that needs to be had, but i'm not saying that it is the only thing going on when this team has lost.
I agree 100%. I dont find it bizarre at all about Bohls response. I would say in about 95% of his off season interviews he talks about leveraging the defense. This means a Huge part of his philosophy of winning games is defensive minded. Also not surprising that our most athletic players are all on defense this is all by design.

We shouldn't be putting the game on a Freshman Qb after he already put the team ahead to get the win is what Bohl was saying. Chambers is struggling passing the football but we have seen flashes of what he can do. That 45 yard dime for example. Chambers is the leader of the team and has put us in position to win EVERY game he has played in.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Well said, poke_addict...I actually forgot that Chambers was so young.... He certainly carries himself like an upperclassman.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I know Bohl doesn't have the budget, but, IMO, at minimum a good QB coach is needed and preferably someone who can also pitch in on WR. Maybe a passing coordinator that doubles as WR/QB coach. Before the fanboys get their panties in a bunch, I'm in full support of Bohl.

All the pieces are in place. I disagree with above posts. I think the passing game is the last thing holding us back. If Chambers is the future, he has to be coached up as do the receivers. If we had a passing game that even could somewhat threaten, this team challenges for the MWC title. 5 completions/game isn't going to cut it.

That said, really glad to have Bohl. This staff will fix it. I guarantee he knows it needs addressed.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I think our defense has been better than what anybody could have expected, considering who we lost heading into this season, and then having injuries ON TOP of that. These were the impact players who left:

DT Conner Cain
FS Marcus Epps -> NFL
DT Youhanna Ghaifan -> Should've been NFL
DE Carl Granderson ->NFL
CB Antonio Hull -> Personal reasons
NT Sidney Malauulu
SS Andrew Wingard -> NFL

Then obviously Tyler Hall got injured vs Tulsa and got back vs Aztecs too. So 3 of 4 starting defensive backs from last year are gone, and the remaining one has dealt with injuries. On top of that, we also lost 4 really good players on the defensive line, and that's not even mention people like Prosser.

Hopefully all this means we're also getting some depth, though, because looking at the list above, Logan Wilson alone shouldn't be enough to make up for that. :P
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Sorry if you don’t like my tone about the reality of the our current situation but the truth hurts sometimes. We simply aren’t contending for the conference title this year, unless you think we can win out. We are the 2011 Denver Broncos with Tebow. They were a decent team, won a playoff game, had a fun season, and also got trounced once they had to go play big boy football in New England. That’s coming for us in November. Doesn’t mean the kids should give up or whatever but we as fans aren’t playing the game. There’s a very hard ceiling on our success with this offensive staff. You think we’re beating Boise on the blue completing 3 passes in a game? Ok......

I like the idea of emulating Wisconsin football, power running, tough defense. I think it fits Wyoming. But even they in their most recent victory had a QB go 18-21 for 200+ with a TD. Simply have to be able to efficiently throw the ball to contend, and even Bohl himself said it isn’t getting better this year.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:35 pm Sorry if you don’t like my tone about the reality of the our current situation but the truth hurts sometimes. We simply aren’t contending for the conference title this year, unless you think we can win out. We are the 2011 Denver Broncos with Tebow. They were a decent team, won a playoff game, had a fun season, and also got trounced once they had to go play big boy football in New England. That’s coming for us in November. Doesn’t mean the kids should give up or whatever but we as fans aren’t playing the game. There’s a very hard ceiling on our success with this offensive staff. You think we’re beating Boise on the blue completing 3 passes in a game? Ok......

I like the idea of emulating Wisconsin football, power running, tough defense. I think it fits Wyoming. But even they in their most recent victory had a QB go 18-21 for 200+ with a TD. Simply have to be able to efficiently throw the ball to contend, and even Bohl himself said it isn’t getting better this year.
I guess i'm bummed that we most likely won't be in conference title contention (who isn't?). You said it yourself in comparing us to the Tebow-led Broncos....a decent team. Most folks look at this as a "down year" for Wyoming...I'll take "decent" on a down year over the turd popsicle that got put on the field in down years since 2000.

I'm more receptive to the argument that the offensive staff is limiting us to never competing for championships. That argument has some purchase with me but I still have to reconcile that with the fact that they got us to a title game. I'm not convinced that was a complete fluke. There will be talented players at Wyoming again....Our WR corps in particular is at a historically low point, but I digress.

As fans on a message board we tend to frame our "take" in the context that plays the best with our narrative...It is important to seperate the factors that mark success in a football play vs a football game vs a football season vs a football program. If Chambers air mails a reciever and gets picked off to seal a loss in a conference road game I don't think that you can use that to prove a whole lot about a program.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I've been as hard on Vigen as anyone but I will say he and the offensive staff have done a nice job developing the overall run game and especially offensive line. The line development is something we've been severely lacking before Bohl and company came to town.

Just need to solve the passing issue. Frankly, this bad 2 years in a row is unacceptable regardless of excuse. The passing game has to function without top 10 draft pick behind center.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:49 am
calpoke25 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:35 pm Sorry if you don’t like my tone about the reality of the our current situation but the truth hurts sometimes. We simply aren’t contending for the conference title this year, unless you think we can win out. We are the 2011 Denver Broncos with Tebow. They were a decent team, won a playoff game, had a fun season, and also got trounced once they had to go play big boy football in New England. That’s coming for us in November. Doesn’t mean the kids should give up or whatever but we as fans aren’t playing the game. There’s a very hard ceiling on our success with this offensive staff. You think we’re beating Boise on the blue completing 3 passes in a game? Ok......

I guess i'm bummed that we most likely won't be in conference title contention (who isn't?). You said it yourself in comparing us to the Tebow-led Broncos....a decent team. Most folks look at this as a "down year" for Wyoming...I'll take "decent" on a down year over the turd popsicle that got put on the field in down years since 2000.

I'm more receptive to the argument that the offensive staff is limiting us to never competing for championships. That argument has some purchase with me but I still have to reconcile that with the fact that they got us to a title game. I'm not convinced that was a complete fluke. There will be talented players at Wyoming again....Our WR corps in particular is at a historically low point, but I digress.

As fans on a message board we tend to frame our "take" in the context that plays the best with our narrative...It is important to seperate the factors that mark success in a football play vs a football game vs a football season vs a football program. If Chambers air mails a reciever and gets picked off to seal a loss in a conference road game I don't think that you can use that to prove a whole lot about a program.
We had NFL players at QB, RB, WR, TE and C. That is a once in a lifetime alignment of talent at Wyoming. So we’ve only been semi-functional offense one year, with that alignment of talent. Otherwise, including 2017 with a top 10 pick at QB, we have been utterly hopeless on that side of the ball. I do think Bohl is establishing a more solid floor in the program to avoid those 2-10 type year, but the ceiling is low with this offense, and the margin for error is razor thin. One injury to Chambers (who is running at a completely unsustainable level for your QB) and we are back to the same team that started 2-6 last year barely beating Wofford.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Chambers runs like a big runningback. Awesome to watch at times (like when he bulled over that one SDSU defender), but yeah, at this point, its only a matter of time before he goes down again at this rate. And I don't think we have another QB like him waiting to take the field. Vander Waal is more pocket passer, and even then, its more touch and floating then reading the defense and what not. But Chambers needs to be taught to be a better and more consistent passer.

O-line, need to see how they do with Abojei out. The kid was an anchor, but overall, they have really stepped up from previous years.

RBs, no complaints.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:24 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:49 am

We had NFL players at QB, RB, WR, TE and C. That is a once in a lifetime alignment of talent at Wyoming. So we’ve only been semi-functional offense one year, with that alignment of talent. Otherwise, including 2017 with a top 10 pick at QB, we have been utterly hopeless on that side of the ball. I do think Bohl is establishing a more solid floor in the program to avoid those 2-10 type year, but the ceiling is low with this offense, and the margin for error is razor thin. One injury to Chambers (who is running at a completely unsustainable level for your QB) and we are back to the same team that started 2-6 last year barely beating Wofford.
I follow the cowboys that make the NFL but I don't follow the other MWC teams pro's. Of the teams that have played for the MWC title in the last 3-4 years...did they all have comparable numbers of NFL caliber players on their rosters? Maybe to compete for MW championships you need some base threshold of NFL talent....that would make sense to me. I would be surprised if overall talent level of a particular team had no bearing on whether or not a team made the MW championship game.