NCAA allows athletes to profit from their name, likeness, etc.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:54 pm https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... likenesses

I wonder how this will affect UW
It will mean a much much greater divide between UW and the top marketable programs (ie Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc..). Wyoming will be a farm ground to develop players for these programs though. Do well at Wyoming in football and you could get a $100,000 endorsement deal to play football at Ohio State for instance.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:52 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:54 pm https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... likenesses

It will mean a much much greater divide between UW and the top marketable programs (ie Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc..). Wyoming will be a farm ground to develop players for these programs though. Do well at Wyoming in football and you could get a $100,000 endorsement deal to play football at Ohio State for instance.
That's an interesting take. My initial thought would be that Wyoming football cannot survive at the D1 level if this happens. We are a small school in a small market. Even down programs like UNLV might benefit from this by being in a million person plus market.
But who gets the money? A QB or a running back or a few high visibility players? Do the other teammates who get nothing resent the guys who do? Clearly, some guys will make out great and many will not.

From a fan perspective, I won't watch semi pro football at the college level. I basically only follow Wyoming and the MWC anyway. If someone like Trevor Lawrence gets 200k a year to play qb at Clemson, does he still have to go to school? The pretense is over. He's there to make money, not be a student. I think this changes the nature of college football and basketball in a very fundamental way. I can't see how it will be good for Wyoming in the long run.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:51 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:52 pm

That's an interesting take. My initial thought would be that Wyoming football cannot survive at the D1 level if this happens. We are a small school in a small market. Even down programs like UNLV might benefit from this by being in a million person plus market.
But who gets the money? A QB or a running back or a few high visibility players? Do the other teammates who get nothing resent the guys who do? Clearly, some guys will make out great and many will not.

From a fan perspective, I won't watch semi pro football at the college level. I basically only follow Wyoming and the MWC anyway. If someone like Trevor Lawrence gets 200k a year to play qb at Clemson, does he still have to go to school? The pretense is over. He's there to make money, not be a student. I think this changes the nature of college football and basketball in a very fundamental way. I can't see how it will be good for Wyoming in the long run.
Wyoming will survive at D1 IMO but neither it nor any other MWC team will be remotely competitive with the top teams in FBS. I hope to hell that Wyoming and it’s donors won’t even try to enter this arms race to pay big money to players through ‘endorsement deals.’ Id rather see that money be invested in academic and athletic facilities.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

The schools wont be paying students and the NCAA is not going to allow bidding wars during recruitment. This just allows kids to profit in their own endeavors. They will not be employees and will still have to be academically eligible to play Saturday. It's not going to be end of college sports as we know it. Very few college athletes have the notoriety to land a 6 figure endorsement deal. poop 90% of pros don't even have 6 figure endorsement deals.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

This marks the end of college athletics as we know it
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

poke_addict wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:18 pm The schools wont be paying students and the NCAA is not going to allow bidding wars during recruitment. This just allows kids to profit in their own endeavors. They will not be employees and will still have to be academically eligible to play Saturday. It's not going to be end of college sports as we know it. Very few college athletes have the notoriety to land a 6 figure endorsement deal. poop 90% of pros don't even have 6 figure endorsement deals.
These ‘endorsement deals’ will unlikely be driven by what typically drives endorsement deals (the ability of the company to make money off the player’s likeness). Rather many college ‘endorsement deals’ will simply be a means for a donor/booster to funnel a player to a specific college program. You simply can’t open this can and expect that your Notre Dame CEO and large shareholder of some privately held company won’t take this opportunity to improve the Irish football team regardless as to whether that will actually make money for the company.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I'm worried this will put us at an even greater disadvantage. Big money deals with major corporations will grab headlines but endorsements at the local level will be a big deal, too. We just don't have the businesses or industry like suds, unlv, or even boise and csu. Recruiting pitch: x% of our players are able to find endorsement deals vs y% at WYO.

Honestly, I wish political leaders would force the professional development league instead of forcing colleges to adhere to a business structure that resembles a professional development league. I get it from the athlete perspective and mostly support their position. However, maybe big time professional or semi-pro leagues don't belong in universities.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

We have no idea how this is even going to be implemented. Its way to early to say its going to ruin anything. It may end up having a negative or a positive effect on Wyoming football, I don't know. So in the mean time I will look at what is right, and these players should get some benefit from their name and likeness. Its only fair.

Plus now maybe we can get back NCAA Football video game!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

People that are panicking about this need to take a step back. Let's look at the facts:

1. Universities will not be paying players

2. "6 figure" endorsement deal from private corporations in a college town will be limited to the top 10-20 players in the country, which already go to the same 5 schools every year

3. This will allow ANY student athlete to profit off of what they do in college. For instance, an all-conference volleyball player could be paid to be an assistant coach at Laramie High School. A gym rat soccer player could be a personal trainer. An athlete with strong religious beliefs could be a pastor at a local church. All of this could be done while promoting the player by name while touting their athletic accomplishments. Right now that can't happen. This benefits ALL athletes.

4. COLLEGE VIDEO GAMES ARE A DISTINCT POSSIBILITY AGAIN!!! My guess is that there will be an "FBS Players Association" of some kind that will evenly distribute profits earned from NCAA football games to every single player included in the game, with a bonus for whomever is on the cover.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:00 am I'm worried this will put us at an even greater disadvantage. Big money deals with major corporations will grab headlines but endorsements at the local level will be a big deal, too. We just don't have the businesses or industry like suds, unlv, or even boise and csu. Recruiting pitch: x% of our players are able to find endorsement deals vs y% at WYO.

Honestly, I wish political leaders would force the professional development league instead of forcing colleges to adhere to a business structure that resembles a professional development league. I get it from the athlete perspective and mostly support their position. However, maybe big time professional or semi-pro leagues don't belong in universities.
Absolutely correct. Take a school like Oklahoma. About 10 years ago, their freshman qb was ruled ineligible for taking about 20k for working at a car dealership where no one ever saw him. Now, he can do appearances at that dealership. He will get royalties for his jersey sale. He will do commercials for local businesses. Those who think this doesn't add up to much: consider that guys like T. Boone Pickens gave Oklahoma state 140 million for a new stadium. There are lots of rich boosters out there who will pay lots of money to bring in prize recruits. I can see boosters buying up jerseys to boost an athlete's royalties. There will be more cheating now than ever before.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:54 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:00 am I'm worried this will put us at an even greater disadvantage. Big money deals with major corporations will grab headlines but endorsements at the local level will be a big deal, too. We just don't have the businesses or industry like suds, unlv, or even boise and csu. Recruiting pitch: x% of our players are able to find endorsement deals vs y% at WYO.

Absolutely correct. Take a school like Oklahoma. About 10 years ago, their freshman qb was ruled ineligible for taking about 20k for working at a car dealership where no one ever saw him. Now, he can do appearances at that dealership. He will get royalties for his jersey sale. He will do commercials for local businesses. Those who think this doesn't add up to much: consider that guys like T. Boone Pickens gave Oklahoma state 140 million for a new stadium. There are lots of rich boosters out there who will pay lots of money to bring in prize recruits. I can see boosters buying up jerseys to boost an athlete's royalties. There will be more cheating now than ever before.
This has been happening at the big schools for years. Here's a great article about the "bag men."

https://www.dawgsports.com/2018/5/30/17 ... -sanctions
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:54 am

It is not cheating if it is permissible.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

Still a lot left to come out about how this will actually work. In general I'm suspicious of any large changes in how college football is stuctured. When has any big change been good for Wyoming?...or schools like Wyoming?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

307bball wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:44 am Still a lot left to come out about how this will actually work. In general I'm suspicious of any large changes in how college football is stuctured. When has any big change been good for Wyoming?...or schools like Wyoming?
One of the first to go to the spread offense. Then everyone else jumped on the bandwagon. So, now we're one of the few doing the pro-style offense.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:44 am Still a lot left to come out about how this will actually work. In general I'm suspicious of any large changes in how college football is stuctured. When has any big change been good for Wyoming?...or schools like Wyoming?
The early signing day has been good for Wyoming
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

The way I see it is the big, rich schools get all best players now and they will continue to get the best players. So not much is going to change as long as there are still 85 "scholarships"
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:26 am The way I see it is the big, rich schools get all best players now and they will continue to get the best players. So not much is going to change as long as there are still 85 "scholarships"
I could see some 'walk-ons' at Alabama with endorsement deals covering a lot more than tuition and board.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:57 am People that are panicking about this need to take a step back. Let's look at the facts:

1. Universities will not be paying players

2. "6 figure" endorsement deal from private corporations in a college town will be limited to the top 10-20 players in the country, which already go to the same 5 schools every year

3. This will allow ANY student athlete to profit off of what they do in college. For instance, an all-conference volleyball player could be paid to be an assistant coach at Laramie High School. A gym rat soccer player could be a personal trainer. An athlete with strong religious beliefs could be a pastor at a local church. All of this could be done while promoting the player by name while touting their athletic accomplishments. Right now that can't happen. This benefits ALL athletes.

4. COLLEGE VIDEO GAMES ARE A DISTINCT POSSIBILITY AGAIN!!! My guess is that there will be an "FBS Players Association" of some kind that will evenly distribute profits earned from NCAA football games to every single player included in the game, with a bonus for whomever is on the cover.
Exactly. Plus, businesses are generally risk averse. 6 figures to a 18 year old, no matter how talented, is a risk. It won't change a ton as far as football/baasketball recruiting, difference will be it's over the table now
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

fromolwyoming wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:05 am
One of the first to go to the spread offense. Then everyone else jumped on the bandwagon. So, now we're one of the few doing the pro-style offense.
I guess I'm mostly talking about off the field changes...Look at how College Football has determined it's champions...

Up Untill 1991 - National Polls
'92 - '94 - Bowl Coalition
'95 - '97 Bowl Alliance
'98 - 2013 BCS
'14 - Present - CFP

Sprinkle in Conference re-alignment and my perception is that Wyoming's relative position has only decreased. Maybe they don't have anything to do with it though.