Bohl Quote

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:42 pm
In all fairness, none of us know the Xs and Os like these guys do. I get that and will admit that readily. But if us little league nobody's can predict what's coming 80% of the time, especially in certain situations, the opposing coaches sure as hell can too.
agree. We don't understand the details, but we sure understand tendencies and trends. It wasn't hard to figure out exactly what we were going to do
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

What was Bohl going to say? "All the people on Twitter are right, my O-Coordinator is an idiot?" Go look at Harsin's press conference Monday where he spent 5 minutes ripping fans for being ungrateful morons.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

For specific playcalling, I think the offense underutilizes misdirection. In the NFL, it seems you see a lot of blocking schemes and play action one direction with a TE, WR, or back slipping out the other for a short pass. The designed misdirection screens are also effective. It just seems a couple of wrinkles to get the D guessing a little more would be effective without losing the offensive identity. A short pass is essentially still running the ball.

With that said and as stated above, these guys know more about the offense than us. However, it is just as clear that, regardless of reason, the offense is ineffective and is trending down, or at least not improving in terms of productivity (line development has been good). The evidence is in the one year we cracked the top 40 on O and played in MWC championship with a sub-100 D. The past 3 years we've had a top 50 D but sub 100 O and can't crack the top 3 in the MWC.

No rational argument can be made to suggest the O is fine and is not holding this team back. It is what it is. Again, I like Bohl but I hope they do something to fix the O. Getting NFL talent all over the field won't happen very often and has been the only time the O was competent.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

Why not try a run outside the tackle every now and then???
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Wyoklaelk wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:38 am Why not try a run outside the tackle every now and then???
Because that's not real football. That's not man stuff. Running up the middle is man stuff. Some sissies invented the horrible forward pass. A sometimes necessary evil.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:54 am What was Bohl going to say? "All the people on Twitter are right, my O-Coordinator is an idiot?" Go look at Harsin's press conference Monday where he spent 5 minutes ripping fans for being ungrateful morons.
Were bsu fans unhappy with not blowing out the Pokes?
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

One of the things I like best about this coaching staff is we are seeing all 4 sides well:

1.) The offense, while frustrating at times, is pushing people around, running like hell, and making a difference. I wish we could execute some throws better, and things like that, but at least we aren't getting crushed on every play.

2.) Defense has been improving year over year. We might be a step back from last year slightly, but its obvious we will be a stronger defensive unit next year.

3.) Special teams - Cooper Rothe is having a bad year, but we don't have a kicker that looks like he's trying to kill deer (Who was that kicker on Christensen's team that would flat line those things?)

4.) Discipline - we aren't getting torn up on penalites.

We aren't losing players to attrition every year like we were. Getting some depth. Injuries don't matter as much with that.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I think the coaches are fine with “if we can’t get one yard on this play, we don’t deserve to win
W-Y, Until I Die!
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

You hit the nail on the head. And that philosophy goes back to Bohls time at Nebraska with Tom Osborne. The way I look at, theres a ton of ways to gain a damn yard. You should do whatever gives you the best chance of gaining that yard. If the defense is selling out on the run up the middle, you go play action. You have the option for the QB to run for that yard on a bootleg or you can hit a TE with a pass. Or you throw a damn pitch and let the RB try to get it on the outside. Boise had stopped that run up the middle like 10 times in a row, its incredible to me that they refused to make an adjustment when they clearly had it figured out. Literally the definition of insanity.

If your going to be so bullheaded that you only want to do it by running right into a pile of defenders the vast majority of the time, your caring more about how you play the game than how much you win. And weve died on that hill so many times during the Bohl era when it matters the most.

I'm fine with the direction of the program, we've clearly gotten better. I think Bohls generally done a good job, but the way I look at it, we hired him to win football games. The great teams are rarely one dimensional. They find ways to make adjustments and do whatever it takes to win. We didn't hire Bohl to win football games only the way he wants to or lose trying. I don't think he got that memo though, and frankly, I'm sick of that attitude. It reeks of arrogance, because we aren't good enough to beat the best of the MW on Bohls terms alone.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:43 pm
WyoBrandX wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
307bball wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:32 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:24 pm In fairness, in the same press conference, Bohl said there some play calls Vigen wished he could do over.
Yeeesh...I bet...could you imagine?? I wouldn't even be able to sleep if i had that job. How can any coach not have hindsight related heartburn after a close loss.
Yeah I listened to that too. I'm pretty sure that's common in about any field though. You reflect back and say - well, if I had bought that Microsoft stock in 1992......
Or not gotten stock in Enron. LOL

This why I hate close losses 'cos we coulda won them and be in a better spot to win a conference title for the 1st time since 1988. I was in the 8th grade the last time we were CHAMPIONS! It's sad and pathetic to think about!!!!!
Eeek. Enron.... Or long distance carriers. I think I was in 3rd grade the last time we were champions. Football was brutal to watch on TV in those days. 19" color TV that looked like it had a layer of snow on it. I was the remote control back then.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

307bball wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:48 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:54 am What was Bohl going to say? "All the people on Twitter are right, my O-Coordinator is an idiot?" Go look at Harsin's press conference Monday where he spent 5 minutes ripping fans for being ungrateful morons.
Were bsu fans unhappy with not blowing out the Pokes?
Watch for yourself, starts at 15:30:

Bohl sure ain't perfect but you cannot deny that he is all class all the time. I don't care what his record is, I would never ever want this jackass representing our University and state.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Dang, Harsin was not happy! I like Harsin, btw. He seems like someone I'd want to play for. Bohl, Rocky Long and Harsin are my favorite coaches in the conference.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

To Vigen (and Bohl): I don't know how to play the violin but I can tell if you can.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:10 am To Vigen (and Bohl): I don't know how to play the violin but I can tell if you can.
Agree 💯
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

76 points is all the defense has allowed in 5 conference games. Next closest is 111.
W-Y, Until I Die!
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

And that's having played Boise and SDSU already. The defense is doing their job. Tulsas the only game I would argue that the team lost the game, not just the offense. I think Bohls done an amazing job with the defense since not renewing Stanard.

Just imagine if we made a Stanard-Hazelton type leap on offense and and sustained our success on defense. That's the team I want to see.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 pm 76 points is all the defense has allowed in 5 conference games. Next closest is 111.
That's filthy
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:40 am Dang, Harsin was not happy! I like Harsin, btw. He seems like someone I'd want to play for. Bohl, Rocky Long and Harsin are my favorite coaches in the conference.
agreed
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I like to hear a coach with passion and fire instead of the same robotic answers week in and week out
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Harsin wasn't very eloquent with his words, neither was Bohl, but they are essentially paraphrasing this Teddy Roosevelt speech:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

I'd much rather have a coach ignore the social media naysayers than go home wasting time and energy worrying about them.