Vander Waal in the transfer portal

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Not surprising as everyone else has said. The writing was on the wall. That said - I do hope he sticks around and decides not to transfer. He brings a lot to the team (but not as a starting QB) ala Nick Smith.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

onePokeovertheline wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:23 pm
phxpoke wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:01 pm We do need him for our bowl game though. Hopefully, he can still be available.
I normally have insight but don't on this. However, I think there is ZERO chance he plays in Tucson. Knowing Bohl the way I do I also think there is zero chance he even makes the trip. I've been wrong before but this would be way out of character for Bohl.

This begs the question who will be Levi's backup?
Wouldn’t it be the walk on holder Nick Spzor? That would actually be kind of cool if Spzor got a few QB reps in his last collegiate game.
TheBuckhole
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times

Well, I guess it's Georgia St +7 then.

I don't think TVW is as bad as some of you are saying. He can throw the football a lot better than Chambers, that's for sure. I'll bet he'll end up at another D1 school and do well.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

TheBuckhole wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:59 am Well, I guess it's Georgia St +7 then.

I don't think TVW is as bad as some of you are saying. He can throw the football a lot better than Chambers, that's for sure. I'll bet he'll end up at another D1 school and do well.
I tend to agree with you. People always compare him to Nick Smith but he beat out senior Smith as a freshman. I think our poop offensive system did not play to his strengths, but I could see him starting at an FBS school his senior year.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

TheBuckhole wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:59 am Well, I guess it's Georgia St +7 then.

D1 as in FCS in my opinion. TVW is a fantastic competitor and is a guy that I would love to have on any team that I coach and I hope he stays at Wyoming if nothing else but to be a good teammate, an emergency QB and a holder (ala Nick Smith). That said - TVW is prone to inaccuracy and poor decision making at times as a QB and I don't think that is going to be coached out of him.

TVW is a poor fit for Wyoming's offense because he just isn't very elusive nor fast. I could see him having success in a west coast/spread type offense with shorter receiver routes and operating out of the shotgun.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:38 am

I tend to agree with you. People always compare him to Nick Smith but he beat out senior Smith as a freshman. I think our poop offensive system did not play to his strengths, but I could see him starting at an FBS school his senior year.
He has 2 years remaining for an FCS transfer.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Not sure what you're basing this on. I can't think of a single game (other than Air Force last year) where TVW was anything other than inaccurate, especially on any throw over 10 yards. I would be amazed if he ended up at a D1 school.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:17 pm I would be amazed if he ended up at a D1 school.
Well, Colorado State maybe.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:14 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:17 pm I would be amazed if he ended up at a D1 school.
Well, Colorado State maybe.
If it were possible, I would bet you any amount of money he will not end up at csewe.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:12 am
Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:38 am

He has 2 years remaining for an FCS transfer.
Good point, he probably will go FCS. I think he will do well though.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

onePokeovertheline wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:23 pm
phxpoke wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:01 pm We do need him for our bowl game though. Hopefully, he can still be available.
I normally have insight but don't on this. However, I think there is ZERO chance he plays in Tucson. Knowing Bohl the way I do I also think there is zero chance he even makes the trip. I've been wrong before but this would be way out of character for Bohl.

This begs the question who will be Levi's backup?
Didn’t Bohl stay on to finish the season at NDS after accepting the Wyoming position? I imagine they worked this out ahead of time. I wish him only the best. Certain positions in football mean you will rarely see the field once you’re not a starter. QB is one of them. He’s proven that he can play at the college level and probably wants a better chance elsewhere.