Athlete of the decade

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

https://laramielive.com/who-is-the-univ ... cade-poll/

Who you got?

Larry Nance Jr.
Bryce Meredith
Josh Allen

I say Larry.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Brian Hill
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Has to be Josh Allen. The football program was on life support until he showed up. He continues to be the best promotional tool for recruiting by being a high profile success in the NFL.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

I have to agree with Josh Allen being #1.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Not putting Josh ADAMS name in this is a crime. Hands down the most electric athlete this decade. MWC Tournament MVP his junior year. MWC POY is senior year. Kid was incredibly fun to watch. Love Larry and Allen but Adams should be in the Wyoming Hall of fame before both these guys. If were comparing just Wyoming resumes it's not even close.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Depends what you value most. Meredith was the most dominant in his sport, Allen brought the most attention to the University. The MW basketball championship was probably the best moment of the decade and Adams/Nance Jr get the most credit for that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

poke_addict wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:01 pm Not putting Josh ADAMS name in this is a crime. Hands down the most electric athlete this decade. MWC Tournament MVP his junior year. MWC POY is senior year. Kid was incredibly fun to watch. Love Larry and Allen but Adams should be in the Wyoming Hall of fame before both these guys. If were comparing just Wyoming resumes it's not even close.
Larry was more important to Wyoming than Josh Adams. Larry was the best player on a championship team.

My top 5 would be

1. Larry
2. Bryce
3. Josh Allen
4. Josh Adams
5. Brian Hill

Honorable Mention: Justin James
Last edited by LanderPoke on Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Most Successful College Athlete - Bryce Meredith hands down. 3 time all-American with two championship appearances.

Best pure athlete and put Wyoming on the map - Josh Allen.

Highlight Moment - Larry Nance, Josh Adams, Derek Cooke, Riley Grabau winning the MWC tournament.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

If I had to put together a top 5:
1)Bryce Meredith
2)Josh Allen
3) Larry Nance
4) Logan Wilson
5) Josh Adams
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Out of those 3 it has to be either Larry or Bryce. They both had better college careers than Allen did. Josh only played two years at Wyoming and his 2nd year was terrible. Not sure how any of you could put Allen number 1 for his college career at Wyoming.

Has nothing to do with them being in the pro’s.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:04 am Out of those 3 it has to be either Larry or Bryce. They both had better college careers than Allen did. Josh only played two years at Wyoming and his 2nd year was terrible. Not sure how any of you could put Allen number 1 for his college career at Wyoming.

His second year was terrible? He had no running game and the offensive line was a disaster. He still had 16 td's and only 6 int. He was sacked 22 times, which tells you the quality of his receivers and the Oline. He won every MWC start except at Boise st.. BTW, his completion percentage was the same in 2017 as 2016.

Larry Nance was very good. But he missed big parts of 2 seasons, due to injury and illness. He had an excellent supporting cast around him. He really wasn't a dominating player until his junior year.
Throwing an Olympic sport athlete in the mix is baffling, as those events are never televised and the interest level is infinitesimal.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:30 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:04 am Out of those 3 it has to be either Larry or Bryce. They both had better college careers than Allen did. Josh only played two years at Wyoming and his 2nd year was terrible. Not sure how any of you could put Allen number 1 for his college career at Wyoming.

His second year was terrible? He had no running game and the offensive line was a disaster. He still had 16 td's and only 6 int. He was sacked 22 times, which tells you the quality of his receivers and the Oline. He won every MWC start except at Boise st.. BTW, his completion percentage was the same in 2017 as 2016.

Larry Nance was very good. But he missed big parts of 2 seasons, due to injury and illness. He had an excellent supporting cast around him. He really wasn't a dominating player until his junior year.
Throwing an Olympic sport athlete in the mix is baffling, as those events are never televised and the interest level is infinitesimal.
Bryce Meredith appeared more on ESPN competing at the college level than both Larry Nance and Josh Allen. Perhaps you should expand your knowledge base.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:12 pm

Bryce Meredith appeared more on ESPN competing at the college level than both Larry Nance and Josh Allen. Perhaps you should expand your knowledge base.
I'll pass. Care to share how much wrestling contributes to Wyoming's revenue? Or how about the attendance at wrestling matches? What a silly post. I'll wager not one Wyoming student in a 1,000 could identify who he is. We've had some excellent track and field athletes and golfers. Let's make one of them "athlete of the decade".
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:17 pm

I'll pass. Care to share how much wrestling contributes to Wyoming's revenue? Or how about the attendance at wrestling matches? What a silly post. I'll wager not one Wyoming student in a 1,000 could identify who he is. We've had some excellent track and field athletes and golfers. Let's make one of them "athlete of the decade".
Revenue has what to do with the topic?

And your post shows a complete naivety. Show this year’s senior class at Wyoming a picture of every current men’s basketball player and Bryce Meredith and ask them to identify the persons. Meredith would win in a landslide as far as being identified.

Oh and when Meredith was competing at Wyoming - what sport had a higher number of sellouts wrestling or men’s basketball? I’ll tell you the answer isn’t men’s basketball.

And no there hasn’t been another Olympic sport athlete at Wyoming over the past decade even close to the level of Meredith as far as competing for national championships.

But carry on with your ignorance.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

Count me in on the ignorant side of things. I would posit that most Wyoming fans, if asked who Bryce Meredith is, would not be able to tell you. However, close to 100% know who Josh Allen or Larry Nance are. I am not trying to demean Meredith in any way, but if I didn't lurk on this board, I wouldn't have been able to tell you he was a wrestler. I don't follow the sport, don't watch it on TV, never participated in school, and am not even a casual fan. That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people out there who are fans, I'm just not sure as many would know who Meredith is if they aren't fans.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

CowboyNV wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:31 pm

Count me in on the ignorant side of things. I would posit that most Wyoming fans, if asked who Bryce Meredith is, would not be able to tell you. However, close to 100% know who Josh Allen or Larry Nance are. I am not trying to demean Meredith in any way, but if I didn't lurk on this board, I wouldn't have been able to tell you he was a wrestler. I don't follow the sport, don't watch it on TV, never participated in school, and am not even a casual fan. That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people out there who are fans, I'm just not sure as many would know who Meredith is if they aren't fans.
Meredith was widely known amongst students at the University during his time there. Amongst the posters on here (many of whom are largely disconnected from campus), sure he might not be as recognizable.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:34 pm

Meredith was widely known amongst students at the University during his time there. Amongst the posters on here (many of whom are largely disconnected from campus), sure he might not be as recognizable.
We are spending the winter at our Florida home and I go for a 7 mile walk every morning. I am usually clad in some kind of Wyoming gear. The teenage kids in the neighborhood always ask me about Josh Allen and/or Larry Nance Jr. They know both played at Wyoming, and since I'm a fan they assume we are all good friends, haha. While Meredith had an amazing career at Wyoming, it was in a sport without the same kind of following as football or basketball. And I can tell you for certain these kids here in Florida have no clue who Meredith is.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

FWIW it's Josh Allen 50%, Bryce 35%, and Larry 15% on the online poll
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

CowboyNV wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:42 pm

We are spending the winter at our Florida home and I go for a 7 mile walk every morning. I am usually clad in some kind of Wyoming gear. The teenage kids in the neighborhood always ask me about Josh Allen and/or Larry Nance Jr. They know both played at Wyoming, and since I'm a fan they assume we are all good friends, haha. While Meredith had an amazing career at Wyoming, it was in a sport without the same kind of following as football or basketball. And I can tell you for certain these kids here in Florida have no clue who Meredith is.
Shocking that kids not attending the University of Wyoming could identify a starting NFL QB and a very good NBA player. I’m sure all those kids have no clue who Hunter Maldonado is either.

Come on man that is a silly comparison.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:39 pm
CowboyNV wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:42 pm

Shocking that kids not attending the University of Wyoming could identify a starting NFL QB and a very good NBA player. I’m sure all those kids have no clue who Hunter Maldonado is either.

Come on man that is a silly comparison.
No, but these Florida kids also know Justin James (a Florida product) played for Wyoming. Hey, I get it. You're a wrestling fan. To each his own. I'm just saying that Allen and Nance Jr. are still having a positive national impact for Wyoming. I should know better than to ever try to debate an attorney.