Athlete of the decade

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

CowboyNV wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:31 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:12 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:30 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:04 am Out of those 3 it has to be either Larry or Bryce. They both had better college careers than Allen did. Josh only played two years at Wyoming and his 2nd year was terrible. Not sure how any of you could put Allen number 1 for his college career at Wyoming.

Has nothing to do with them being in the pro’s.
His second year was terrible? He had no running game and the offensive line was a disaster. He still had 16 td's and only 6 int. He was sacked 22 times, which tells you the quality of his receivers and the Oline. He won every MWC start except at Boise st.. BTW, his completion percentage was the same in 2017 as 2016.

Larry Nance was very good. But he missed big parts of 2 seasons, due to injury and illness. He had an excellent supporting cast around him. He really wasn't a dominating player until his junior year.
Throwing an Olympic sport athlete in the mix is baffling, as those events are never televised and the interest level is infinitesimal.
Bryce Meredith appeared more on ESPN competing at the college level than both Larry Nance and Josh Allen. Perhaps you should expand your knowledge base.
Count me in on the ignorant side of things. I would posit that most Wyoming fans, if asked who Bryce Meredith is, would not be able to tell you. However, close to 100% know who Josh Allen or Larry Nance are. I am not trying to demean Meredith in any way, but if I didn't lurk on this board, I wouldn't have been able to tell you he was a wrestler. I don't follow the sport, don't watch it on TV, never participated in school, and am not even a casual fan. That doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people out there who are fans, I'm just not sure as many would know who Meredith is if they aren't fans.
He grew up in the biggest city in the state and was a standout athlete there. Try again.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I hadn't even heard of Bryce until this thread.

That said, if we're going for "Athlete of the Decade," he seems to have a good case for winning it. Whether you draw attention to the university or not shouldn't have all that much of an impact on whether you're successful or not, should it?
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

The recognition is for the University of Wyoming Athlete of the Decade. It is not:

1.) Athlete of the Most Popular Sport in the Universe
2.) Athlete Who Was the Most Successful Before They Came to Wyoming
3.) Athlete Who Was the Most Successful After They Left Wyoming
4.) Athlete I Have a Crush On
5.) Athlete Who's Name my Aunt's Cousin's Friend's Mailman's Roommate has Heard the Most

On a side note, check out 7,220's All-Decade football team: https://www.7220sports.com/wyomings-all-decade-team/
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:27 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:17 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:12 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:30 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:04 am Out of those 3 it has to be either Larry or Bryce. They both had better college careers than Allen did. Josh only played two years at Wyoming and his 2nd year was terrible. Not sure how any of you could put Allen number 1 for his college career at Wyoming.

Has nothing to do with them being in the pro’s.
His second year was terrible? He had no running game and the offensive line was a disaster. He still had 16 td's and only 6 int. He was sacked 22 times, which tells you the quality of his receivers and the Oline. He won every MWC start except at Boise st.. BTW, his completion percentage was the same in 2017 as 2016.

Larry Nance was very good. But he missed big parts of 2 seasons, due to injury and illness. He had an excellent supporting cast around him. He really wasn't a dominating player until his junior year.
Throwing an Olympic sport athlete in the mix is baffling, as those events are never televised and the interest level is infinitesimal.
Bryce Meredith appeared more on ESPN competing at the college level than both Larry Nance and Josh Allen. Perhaps you should expand your knowledge base.
I'll pass. Care to share how much wrestling contributes to Wyoming's revenue? Or how about the attendance at wrestling matches? What a silly post. I'll wager not one Wyoming student in a 1,000 could identify who he is. We've had some excellent track and field athletes and golfers. Let's make one of them "athlete of the decade".
Revenue has what to do with the topic?

And your post shows a complete naivety. Show this year’s senior class at Wyoming a picture of every current men’s basketball player and Bryce Meredith and ask them to identify the persons. Meredith would win in a landslide as far as being identified.

Oh and when Meredith was competing at Wyoming - what sport had a higher number of sellouts wrestling or men’s basketball? I’ll tell you the answer isn’t men’s basketball.

And no there hasn’t been another Olympic sport athlete at Wyoming over the past decade even close to the level of Meredith as far as competing for national championships.

But carry on with your ignorance.
A season ticket for wrestling is 50 bucks. It's free for Cowboy Joe members. I'm guessing a sellout isn't very many people either. That's like comparing a sellout to a Bronco's game to a sellout at local movie theatre.
Considering there are only 80 D1 wrestling schools, it's a lot easier to compete for a national championship compared to over 300 men's D1 BB schools (or almost any other Olympic sport). Comparing this season's men's BB program to almost any other sport is a red herring. I'm pretty sure most students couldn't identify the bb players or the wrestler.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Surprised none of you are higher on Hill. Dude smashed wyo records. Nance, Allen or Adams didn’t come close to the wyo stats Hill put up.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

laxwyo wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:15 pm Surprised none of you are higher on Hill. Dude smashed wyo records. Nance, Allen or Adams didn’t come close to the wyo stats Hill put up.
You make some good points. I feel like he had at least as much to do with our division championship as anyone.

Tier I:
Larry
Josh Allen
Bryce

Tier II:
Bryan Hill
Josh Adams
Justin James
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Not many Wyoming student athletes can say they were an All-American in their sport.. Bryce Meredith did it three times.
ImageImageImageImage
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

MrTitleist wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:04 pm Not many Wyoming student athletes can say they were an All-American in their sport.. Bryce Meredith did it three times.
But kids from Florida don't know him, so he's irrelevant
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Not knowing Bryce Meredeth is the mark of the difference between a "football/basketball" fan and a "sports" fan when it comes to Wyoming. And to not know who he is until "this thread" must mean you just mark all topics read in the basketball/other sports forum and don't even try to know anything about our other athletes.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

wyokoke wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:03 am
MrTitleist wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:04 pm Not many Wyoming student athletes can say they were an All-American in their sport.. Bryce Meredith did it three times.
BTW, Meredith is now a wrestling announcer in addition to his olympic training on the East coast. He called the Iowa-Princeton dual on ESPN+ and did a decent job. He really gets excited when wrestlers get into scramble situations. I could see him working his way up to the top group and announcing the NCAA championships.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

'PokeForLife wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:12 am Not knowing Bryce Meredeth is the mark of the difference between a "football/basketball" fan and a "sports" fan when it comes to Wyoming. And to not know who he is until "this thread" must mean you just mark all topics read in the basketball/other sports forum and don't even try to know anything about our other athletes.
Sure. I can't say I care about any other UW sports than Football. Basketball is worse than watching paint dry... I'd almost rather watch soccer, especially if it's the last "minute" of the game where there's 60 fouls and it goes on for an hour+. And while Track and Field and Wrestling are both events where the athletes impress me, I just can't help not caring.

There's only so much time one can split between interests, and everybody enjoys different things. If Wyoming had a D1 hockey team, I'd care about them as well. But they don't, so I don't.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:05 am
wyokoke wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:03 am
BTW, Meredith is now a wrestling announcer in addition to his olympic training on the East coast. He called the Iowa-Princeton dual on ESPN+ and did a decent job. He really gets excited when wrestlers get into scramble situations. I could see him working his way up to the top group and announcing the NCAA championships.
He's photogenic enough. No homo