Nevada down by 3 scores to Ohio late in the 3rd...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

Doesn't look like the MW will be winning Bowl Challenge Cup this year...
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

And the MW goes 1 win and 2 losses vs the mighty MAC in bowl games, preventing it from winning the Bowl Challenge Cup. Way to go, Utah State and Nevada... (Both Ohio and Kent State were 6-6 coming in.)
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

From the feel of some of our fanbase, Ohio is a perfect example of what we should be hoping for. 3 straight bowl wins and 11 seasons straight at .500 or better. How should NV be expected to compete with that type of juggernaut?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:42 am From the feel of some of our fanbase, Ohio is a perfect example of what we should be hoping for. 3 straight bowl wins and 11 seasons straight at .500 or better. How should NV be expected to compete with that type of juggernaut?
The difference is if Wyoming is improving or regaining stagnant. Ohio has been at this level since Solich got to town. Wyoming, on the other hand, has been improving over the last 5 years. If they continue to improve, we'll all be happy. If they don't, then we have a problem. Wyoming isn't the type of place that can go from 2 wins to 10 wins in 1or 2 seasons. Just reality.
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:40 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:42 am From the feel of some of our fanbase, Ohio is a perfect example of what we should be hoping for. 3 straight bowl wins and 11 seasons straight at .500 or better. How should NV be expected to compete with that type of juggernaut?
The difference is if Wyoming is improving or regaining stagnant. Ohio has been at this level since Solich got to town. Wyoming, on the other hand, has been improving over the last 5 years. If they continue to improve, we'll all be happy. If they don't, then we have a problem. Wyoming isn't the type of place that can go from 2 wins to 10 wins in 1or 2 seasons. Just reality.
I saw them go from a 3 win team to a 10 win team between the years of 1985 to 1987... Just sayin'...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

FarEastPoke wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:29 pm
I saw them go from a 3 win team to a 10 win team between the years of 1985 to 1987... Just sayin'...
AND 11 wins in 1988...Just sayin'....IT CAN BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Holy hell... college football from 1987 to today is about equal to the difference in technology from the moon landing to today... completely different universe. If you are living with 1987 (or 1988 Wyokie) expectations, you will NEVER again be happy with Wyo football.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:31 pm
Holy hell... college football from 1987 to today is about equal to the difference in technology from the moon landing to today... completely different universe. If you are living with 1987 (or 1988 Wyokie) expectations, you will NEVER again be happy with Wyo football.
Ha...Right on! That was literally a lifetime ago for fans my age or younger. I can't stand the vocal fringe that can't seem to enjoy the football success at Wyoming right now. And for the record...I would swap straight up the the last 11 years result at Ohio for what Wyoming did the last 11 years. Heck...I would trade for just one more win. I died hard as a Wyoming football fan the first 20 years of this century...and I don't feel bad at all about this program now just because some folks who witnessed the heyday in the 1980's feel like everything should be measured against that. Whatever stars aligned that resulted in the Roach era isn't happening again...period. If Wyoming ever gets to that level again it will be because somebody with a vision and a patient administration allow a solid foundation to be built. This BS about constantly bringing up '87 or '88 or whatever good year Wyoming had 30 effing years ago reminds me of the delusional post-Osborne Nebraska fans I had the misfortune to live amongst before 2010. They could not come to terms with the fact that the landscape of CFB had shifted away from them.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Great comparison 307, never really thought about the tie between Nebraska fans and Wyo fans, but there are some similarities... things are a lot tougher today. Doesn't mean UW can't be successful, but people need to learn that things are different today and the path to the top is different.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Agreed. Things are vastly different now. We play a MUCH weaker schedule than ever before.

I really like Bohl and am not knocking him. I certainly hope he doesn't have the mentality of our fanbase. I think I remember him speaking about NY6 bowls upon his arrival.

Some of our fanbase acts like being relegated to jv cfb and then squeaking out 6 or 7 wins is a major deal. I'd rather have 4 or 5 wins in a tough schedule than 6 or 7 wins in a powder puff league.

I'm just pointing out how little respect Ohio has despite achieving exactly what some of our fanbase pines for. After all, achieving such great heights should make them a favorite against most any MWC team.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:12 am Agreed. Things are vastly different now. We play a MUCH weaker schedule than ever before.
Having been around UW since the invention of dirt (OK, the 70's), our schedule is about where it has always been. It's tougher than when it was BYU and the dwarves, and about the same as when we were running the table and getting beaten by barely-over-500 teams in the holiday and copper bowls. It is tougher than the WAC-16. It is weaker than the early MWC when we had four legit BCS busters (TCU, Utah, BYU and CSU).
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Didn't Gary Anderson get to 11 wins and conference championship within 4 years and a historically terrible usu team? Oh, and set the program on course that many in our fanbase would drool over?
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Take a look at both the turnarounds of air Force and navy this year as well and we know they face all sorts of recruiting challenges as well.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

Wyokie - I like your brand of posting. Keep it up. I love the high expectations
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:12 am Agreed. Things are vastly different now. We play a MUCH weaker schedule than ever before.

I really like Bohl and am not knocking him. I certainly hope he doesn't have the mentality of our fanbase. I think I remember him speaking about NY6 bowls upon his arrival.

Some of our fanbase acts like being relegated to jv cfb and then squeaking out 6 or 7 wins is a major deal. I'd rather have 4 or 5 wins in a tough schedule than 6 or 7 wins in a powder puff league.

I'm just pointing out how little respect Ohio has despite achieving exactly what some of our fanbase pines for. After all, achieving such great heights should make them a favorite against most any MWC team.
Just to rebut this part of your post, Boise didn't get to where they are by beating good teams. They beat up crap teams year after year after year. And a team like App State? They are doing the same thing now. There is some value in just racking up wins.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Lost Poke wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:23 am
Having been around UW since the invention of dirt (OK, the 70's), our schedule is about where it has always been. It's tougher than when it was BYU and the dwarves, and about the same as when we were running the table and getting beaten by barely-over-500 teams in the holiday and copper bowls. It is tougher than the WAC-16. It is weaker than the early MWC when we had four legit BCS busters (TCU, Utah, BYU and CSU).
Agreed. Since they were referencing bcs era. In that timeline, the schedule is much weaker.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:35 am

Just to rebut this part of your post, Boise didn't get to where they are by beating good teams. They beat up crap teams year after year after year. And a team like App State? They are doing the same thing now. There is some value in just racking up wins.
Yeah, but bsu was boat racing those teams not squeaking by with 6 or 7 wins.

I'm not being critical of Bohl, just saying I hope he isn't satisfied with the level the past few years like some of the fanbase and that many of our fans' level of expectation is Ohio level. I hope WYO is closer to bsu than Ohio.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:32 am Wyokie - I like your brand of posting. Keep it up. I love the high expectations
Thank you. Championships or why bother even playing the game!!!!! That should be the mentality at UW.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

Wyokie wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:48 am
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:32 am Wyokie - I like your brand of posting. Keep it up. I love the high expectations
Thank you. Championships or why bother even playing the game!!!!! That should be the mentality at UW.
That is one way of looking at it....I don't think that it is the right way to look at it if you are a coach/player/administrator though. So much of sports outcomes are not entirely in the control of the people on the field. This is outcomes oriented thinking vs process oriented. Outcomes are important but people who have high achievement in sports tend to be far more process oriented. One of my favorite coaches is Brad Stevens of Butler basketball and now on the Celtics. Look up the long form interviews he has given for a far more eloquent explanation of this. The best football version of this is probably the (gag) patriots. It's "next weeks opponent" and "do your job" thinking taken to the max and look what has happened?...arguably the best NFL team run of all time.

Also...Championships or why bother playing?? Seriously? Look at a team like Iowa....super relevant team in their conference, and to a lesser extent, on the national scene but no Big10 titles in the last 15 years. So I guess...they should not have even laced them up?

Maybe it is championships as a goal or why bother playing...I'm definitely down with that...and I think that is the correct way to go into the next season. If you plan to be "above .500" as a goal, that is not great...I don't think I have ever heard anybody say this at Wyoming or anywhere else. I'm just unwilling to look back at competitive seasons and say "why did we even bother playing". (I'm starting to feel that way about the current basketball program at UW though).
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

If you are living with 1987 (or 1988 Wyokie) expectations, you will NEVER again be happy with Wyo football.
Yeah, I'm old enough to remember the Miracle on Ice, too... And I still hold Team USA to that standard... I'm funny that way- lol...