COVID-19

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

At what point in our nation’s history did it become the federal government’s responsibility to make everyone whole when some disaster occurs? The federal government has taken on many powers not granted it in the constitution. I think it started with FDR and got worse with LBJ.

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.” Amendment 10 of the Bill of Rights

This is the UNITED STATES of America. The states need to step up and push back.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

J-Bone wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:20 am .... and then there's this. Please tell me again how the numbers are accurate.

Dude... - I know - but damn - this virus is a mofo.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:50 am Ok, I have a first hand account of a death being deemed COVID when it wasn't. A person I know mother-in-law passed away from a heart attack. No symptoms of COVID and no positive test. When the death certificate was issued, it said cause of death was COVID. They complained and the hospital representative told them "we were told to do this and there is nothing we can do about it now".
They should report this, as it is a crime to falsify this information. On the other hand of things, a month or so ago there were plenty of doctors who were speaking out because they had patients die who had all the COVID-19 symptoms but they were told not to waste any testing on people who had already died (this in California). It's totally possible the numbers were retroactively updated to reflect those, however. I more or less stopped reading about this as it's seriously taking a toll on my mental health.

As a small nitpick... it's not a firsthand account if you yourself didn't experience it. ;)
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:35 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:50 am Ok, I have a first hand account of a death being deemed COVID when it wasn't. A person I know mother-in-law passed away from a heart attack. No symptoms of COVID and no positive test. When the death certificate was issued, it said cause of death was COVID. They complained and the hospital representative told them "we were told to do this and there is nothing we can do about it now".
They should report this, as it is a crime to falsify this information. On the other hand of things, a month or so ago there were plenty of doctors who were speaking out because they had patients die who had all the COVID-19 symptoms but they were told not to waste any testing on people who had already died (this in California). It's totally possible the numbers were retroactively updated to reflect those, however. I more or less stopped reading about this as it's seriously taking a toll on my mental health.

As a small nitpick... it's not a firsthand account if you yourself didn't experience it. ;)
HaHa, fair enough on the firsthand. I have met the lady that passed but wasn't directly involved in any of the events.

They have been complaining and trying to figure out where to even report that. They contacted their State Attorney General. The first line they received back was "chest pain and shortness of breath are symptoms of COVID". However, with a little more prying they are now getting "in these catastrophic times some records will need to be reevaluated and that will happen when we are past the current crisis and can turn our focus to that" or something along those lines.

I can tell you it didn't raise significant alarms or didn't seem like anyone had a strong motivation to chase it down.

I'm with you, this is crazy. One day we had our governor threatening longer shutdowns stronger enforcement etc., and within 1 or 2 days (after huge protests) said the models looked much better. We can probably accelerate re-opening.

Go back and read through the headlines. At first, this was one big unified deal. Democrats and Republicans were mostly agreeing and doing things. Now, it is a political football. As soon as it switched from one big unified, "we'll get through this together", to politics as usual is when they discovered it isn't that big of deal for 85% of the population. That and we'll have to come to grips with the fact that we are all going to be exposed to it at some point (if we haven't already).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Yeah, I don't know where this is going. There's more and more reports of them discovering weird side effects on kids who have had it now - there were a bunch of such reports in Swedish media yesterday after a university hospital released some preliminary findings.

On a different side note: a lot of dirty ass people are finally washing their hands properly - I know it's impossible, but it would sure be interesting to find out just how many deaths that'll prevent from "normal" flu and similar conditions that go around every year.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:38 amDemocrats and Republicans were mostly agreeing and doing things. Now, it is a political football. As soon as it switched from one big unified, "we'll get through this together", to politics as usual is when they discovered it isn't that big of deal for 85% of the population.
Out of all of this, at least I feel fortunate enough to live in Wyoming and not be subject to some of the Democrat-controlled authoritarian states.

It went from “please stay home” to “snitches get rewards” real fast. Some of the stories of government over reach are kind of scary.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

J-Bone wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:42 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:38 amDemocrats and Republicans were mostly agreeing and doing things. Now, it is a political football. As soon as it switched from one big unified, "we'll get through this together", to politics as usual is when they discovered it isn't that big of deal for 85% of the population.
Out of all of this, at least I feel fortunate enough to live in Wyoming and not be subject to some of the Democrat-controlled authoritarian states.

It went from “please stay home” to “snitches get rewards” real fast. Some of the stories of government over reach are kind of scary.
Wyoming being so spread out, and a culture of basically keeping to ourselves outside of certain events, has kept Covid rather limited. Thus far. But still erupted a couple of times in Fremont and Laramie Counties (the largest numbers in the state). And those stemmed from basically a single case. Over 400 confirmed cases and 7 deaths from 1 case in Wyoming. And, while slowed, it is still spreading. And, like Asmodean said, younger people that have been infected (including kids) are now developing side effects of the disease, making it not so harmless to younger people as well.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

I think it remains to be seen what the long term consequences are (if any aside from the deceased). We won't know for years for sure. I don't think closing down populous states is a bad call at all, even though I also don't mind discussions on when to reopen things. We definitely don't want situations where like in Italy, they had to start choosing which people would get the remaining ventilators, and who wouldn't.

Georgia will be one state to check in the next few weeks as it's opening up. It's totally possible it'll be largely fine.

Also, this is cool:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexandras ... new-cases/

Considering how densely populated South Korea is, that's seriously impressive.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Well f-word. I've been diagnosed with COVID-19. I have no idea why the hell I'm still talking to you. Its been weeks later and I still cant breath. I think I'll get out and do better after this. My lung capacity does suck right now. (I've heard everyone tell me I need more vitamin D or better masks, and all that poop). Truth is, it sucks.

It hits everyone differently. Its hit me hard. Don't be stupid - and watch out - it might just hit you. Anyways, I'm out.....good fricking luck.