Wyoming Adds Cal Poly to 2024 Football Schedule

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Future Wyoming Schedules: https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/wyoming/
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I remember the last time we played Cal-Poly. It was the low point of Wyoming football. Worse than Koenning.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:45 pm I remember the last time we played Cal-Poly. It was the low point of Wyoming football. Worse than Koenning.
I don't know, down 21-0 in the 4th quarter to North Dakota (not St) in 2015 would be my vote. Yes, both worse than Koenning.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:34 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:45 pm I remember the last time we played Cal-Poly. It was the low point of Wyoming football. Worse than Koenning.
I don't know, down 21-0 in the 4th quarter to North Dakota (not St) in 2015 would be my vote. Yes, both worse than Koenning.
Agreed. The 2015 team was the worst I witnessed with some of the Koening teams second. The 2015 team was one of the worst college football teams I've witnessed.

I didn't get to see it, but I know following the B14 incident, things went downhill pretty quickly.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:45 am
Agreed. The 2015 team was the worst I witnessed with some of the Koening teams second. The 2015 team was one of the worst college football teams I've witnessed.

I didn't get to see it, but I know following the B14 incident, things went downhill pretty quickly.
Completely disagree.

The 2012 team was in Christensen's 4th year and it was finally apparent just how full of poop he was as to 'building the program'. The program was largely devoid of talent and depth and was as poorly coached as any that I can remember,

The 2015 season was the beginning of Bohl's complete overhaul and most of us knew that team was not going to win many games. That game was littered with freshmen and sophomores all over the field. Coffman was a stop-gap QB transfer because we had no one else...but we also got a glimpse of this unique QB by the name of Josh Allen. While I was not happy with the result certainly, it was not unexpected. Bring on 2016 and we all know what happened next.

Here are some new players to the program from the 2015 North Dakota game that saw action that day:
1) Josh Allen - True Sophomore JUCO transfer
2) Brian Hill - True Sophomore (played as a freshman)
3) Jacob Hollister - Junior TE transfer
4) Sidney Malauulu - Redshirt Freshman
5) Marcus Epps - Redshirt Freshman (walk on)
6) Andrew WIngard (freshman)
7) Carl Granderson (freshman)
8) Kevin Prosser (freshman)

Hmmm...something seems strange about all the guys listed above and not just the fact that (outside of Brian Hill), it was their first time seeing a field for the Cowboys. But I just can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it will come to me.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:14 am

Completely disagree.

The 2012 team was in Christensen's 4th year and it was finally apparent just how full of Sh#t he was as to 'building the program'. The program was largely devoid of talent and depth and was as poorly coached as any that I can remember,

The 2015 season was the beginning of Bohl's complete overhaul and most of us knew that team was not going to win many games. That game was littered with freshmen and sophomores all over the field. Coffman was a stop-gap QB transfer because we had no one else...but we also got a glimpse of this unique QB by the name of Josh Allen. While I was not happy with the result certainly, it was not unexpected. Bring on 2016 and we all know what happened next.

Here are some new players to the program from the 2015 North Dakota game that saw action that day:

Hmmm...something seems strange about all the guys listed above and not just the fact that (outside of Brian Hill), it was their first time seeing a field for the Cowboys. But I just can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it will come to me.
What the hell does any of that have to do with anything? The product on the field that year was terrible. Finished around 120 of 128 teams. Got manhandled by North Dakota. Gave Eastern Michigan their first FBS road win. Was throttled by several teams.

The actual play and actual results on the field that year was one of the worst college football teams I witnessed. VK also had some terrible teams and some of DCs were bad. None were as bad as that 2015 team. Statistically or "eye test".

The 2012 team finished about 20 spots higher and had double the wins against a tougher SOS and still managed to get the boot.

Not even close. 2015 was just bad.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:32 am
The actual play and actual results on the field that year was one of the worst college football teams I witnessed. VK also had some terrible teams and some of DCs were bad. None were as bad as that 2015 team. Statistically or "eye test".

The 2012 team finished about 20 spots higher and had double the wins against a tougher SOS and still managed to get the boot.

The 0'Fer Koenning teams cannot be compared to 2015. The 2015 team got better every week, even if they didn't get wins. The Koenning team just gave up the ghost and got worse all the time over the course of two years. There were laughable plays on almost every drive, and and I can't count the number of times we had 10 or 11 players on the field.

Koenning was (still is) at great DC. I'd take him in that position any day.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Completely disagree.

The 2012 team was in Christensen's 4th year and it was finally apparent just how full of Sh#t he was as to 'building the program'. The program was largely devoid of talent and depth and was as poorly coached as any that I can remember,

I think have all of those future NLF players on the roster (freshmen or not), being down 21-0 in the 4th quarter, at home, to middle of the pack FCS school makes it even worse. At least Cal-Poly in 2012 was in question in the 4th quarter.

I had forgot about being down 38-7 in the 2nd to Eastern Michigan the very next week and their back up quarter back on the way to their first road win in a decade.

I'm going to have to stick with 2015. Clearly, the ship has been righted and Coach Bohl has us on the right trajectory. I hope we get to see some football this fall. This was going to be the best home schedule Wyoming has had in recent memory. I REALLY like getting Boise St late in the season.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

Are we talking low point for the football program or worst on the field season? They are not necessarily going to be the same. A young team in year 2 of a new coach in the middle of a major overhaul of the program with little experience going 2-10 with two conference wins vs an experienced team in year three going 2-9 after 1-10 and 2-9 seasons. There were reasons for optimism in 2015, were there really reasons for optimism in 2002? Based on my experience these are close. I am trying to think back to my thoughts at the time. I was pretty down in 2015, but 2002 it was getting bad enough it was influencing my thoughts about even going to the University. Just remember Wyoming had more conference wins in 2015 as they did combined 2000-2002.

For my experience here is what I would rank the low points.

In the moment 2002 slightly edges 2015.

With hindsight and knowing how 2016 played out 2002 firmly beats 2015 for low point.

This is for on the field as well, considering off the field and DC's conduct, then 2012-2013 comes into play and surpasses them both. As the condition of the program consists of on field and off field and (in my opinion) the most important feature of the program is how it develops the players on and off the field than I rate 2012-2013 as the low point. The way 2013 imploded after a promising start, the way the wheels came off, more of DC's antics came to light, how he conducted himself at San Marcos, that was the worst. At least with Bohl I have had a sense he was building a good foundation, though 2015 was tough.

I wasn't around in 1969-70 but that would be a strong candidate as well.
:twocents:
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Lost Poke wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:24 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:32 am

The 0'Fer Koenning teams cannot be compared to 2015. The 2015 team got better every week, even if they didn't get wins. The Koenning team just gave up the ghost and got worse all the time over the course of two years. There were laughable plays on almost every drive, and and I can't count the number of times we had 10 or 11 players on the field.

Koenning was (still is) at great DC. I'd take him in that position any day.
There were a few of those VK teams that would definitely rival the 2015 squad for worst team. Really good DC but not a great HC for sure. He was also dealing with our body bag days. Some of his OOC schedules were brutal.

His 1-win 2000 squad was pretty bad. Thinking back, it always amazed me that he struggled so bad. There were some decent players. His 02 squad had Bramlet, Scotty, Adam, and Malcom (one of the better pros to come out of WY) and the MWC wasn't great that year.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Expat_Poke wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:24 pm
For my experience here is what I would rank the low points.

In the moment 2002 slightly edges 2015.

With hindsight and knowing how 2016 played out 2002 firmly beats 2015 for low point.

This is for on the field as well, considering off the field and DC's conduct, then 2012-2013 comes into play and surpasses them both. As the condition of the program consists of on field and off field and (in my opinion) the most important feature of the program is how it develops the players on and off the field than I rate 2012-2013 as the low point. The way 2013 imploded after a promising start, the way the wheels came off, more of DC's antics came to light, how he conducted himself at San Marcos, that was the worst. At least with Bohl I have had a sense he was building a good foundation, though 2015 was tough.

I wasn't around in 1969-70 but that would be a strong candidate as well.
:twocents:
For my eye test, I think 2015 is the worst, but they are really close. I can certainly see the side of 2002 (maybe even 00) as being the worst. Fully agree with the rest.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I would have to agree with the 2015 team being the worst Wyo team in the "modern" era. Vic coached in a much tougher MWC and brutal OOC games.

Bohl has had the advantage of competing in a weaker MWC and a balanced OOC schedule
I'm good for 3!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

cowpoke pride wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:03 pm

Completely disagree.

I think have all of those future NLF players on the roster (freshmen or not), being down 21-0 in the 4th quarter, at home, to middle of the pack FCS school makes it even worse. At least Cal-Poly in 2012 was in question in the 4th quarter.

I had forgot about being down 38-7 in the 2nd to Eastern Michigan the very next week and their back up quarter back on the way to their first road win in a decade.

I'm going to have to stick with 2015. Clearly, the ship has been righted and Coach Bohl has us on the right trajectory. I hope we get to see some football this fall. This was going to be the best home schedule Wyoming has had in recent memory. I REALLY like getting Boise St late in the season.
I’ll give Eastern Michigan game some credit. The worst QB performance I’ve personally witnessed at any level (and I’ve watched some bad division 2 teams such as Panhandle State). After Josh Allen broke his collarbone trying to run over the entire EMU team, Nick Smith came in and I really can’t explain what happened.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

The first two games of 2015 was the most embarrassed I've ever been to be a Cowboys football fan. I forgot how bad Nick Smith's quarterbacking was, thanks for dredging up that awful memory. I wasn't paying attention as much in 2000-02 so my comparison between those teams and 2015 and 2012 don't mean much. Please let there be football this year. I'll lose it if there's not.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

That wasn't a very fun game to attend that day, new lows for sure!