Okie Lite and Gundy

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

This will be interesting to watch. On one hand, they have a fan base who probably very much agree with Gundy's endorsement of the president and oan. I've never seen oan (I don't get a streaming service or cable), so I can't comment on that much.

On the other, they have players who view support of the president as racist and necessitates an apology. It appears some fans are mad because Gundy catered and apologized. No win situation.

With as polarized as people are becoming, it will be an interesting development to watch in primarily conservative states who support the president (I guess unless he isn't reelected) and young people who are increasingly more, well frankly, intolerant of conservative viewpoints. Will players want to play in those states? Will boosters want to boost programs where players speak out against the belief of the booster (right or left)? Will fans continue to support programs when politics infiltrates (right or left)?

Very crazy times when a coach is forced to apologize for supporting the president of the US (please note: I'm simply making observations not saying what is right or wrong). I know for me personally, I'll probably casually follow the POKES this fall, but my annual sporting event trips are out regardless of COVID.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 222 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:07 pm This will be interesting to watch. On one hand, they have a fan base who probably very much agree with Gundy's endorsement of the president and oan. I've never seen oan (I don't get a streaming service or cable), so I can't comment on that much.

On the other, they have players who view support of the president as racist and necessitates an apology. It appears some fans are mad because Gundy catered and apologized. No win situation.

With as polarized as people are becoming, it will be an interesting development to watch in primarily conservative states who support the president (I guess unless he isn't reelected) and young people who are increasingly more, well frankly, intolerant of conservative viewpoints. Will players want to play in those states? Will boosters want to boost programs where players speak out against the belief of the booster (right or left)? Will fans continue to support programs when politics infiltrates (right or left)?

Very crazy times when a coach is forced to apologize for supporting the president of the US (please note: I'm simply making observations not saying what is right or wrong). I know for me personally, I'll probably casually follow the POKES this fall, but my annual sporting event trips are out regardless of COVID.
With the headwinds, Gundy is going to face an uphill battle to keep his job I would think. The OAN/President issues are just noise in my opinion.

Gundy's problem is that he repeatedly finds himself in precarious situations that you have to question as a program do you take the risk of keeping a guy like that as a head coach: (1) racial slur allegation from Alfred Williams many years ago that came back to the forefront (which was made immediately following the game perhaps lending to its credibility); (2) the 2007 media tirade; (3) allegations of direct 'bonus' payments to players organized through him and boosters; (4) severe academic issues within the football program; (5) drug abuse problems and allegations within the program; (6) etc. If he didn't take Oklahoma State to a new level as a football program in terms of wins, he would have been canned long ago. I'm certainly happy that Bohl runs a pretty damn tight ship where we don't have to worry about a lot of the baggage that a Gundy type might bring.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:28 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:07 pm This will be interesting to watch. On one hand, they have a fan base who probably very much agree with Gundy's endorsement of the president and oan. I've never seen oan (I don't get a streaming service or cable), so I can't comment on that much.

With the headwinds, Gundy is going to face an uphill battle to keep his job I would think. The OAN/President issues are just noise in my opinion.

Gundy's problem is that he repeatedly finds himself in precarious situations that you have to question as a program do you take the risk of keeping a guy like that as a head coach: (1) racial slur allegation from Alfred Williams many years ago that came back to the forefront (which was made immediately following the game perhaps lending to its credibility); (2) the 2007 media tirade; (3) allegations of direct 'bonus' payments to players organized through him and boosters; (4) severe academic issues within the football program; (5) drug abuse problems and allegations within the program; (6) etc. If he didn't take Oklahoma State to a new level as a football program in terms of wins, he would have been canned long ago. I'm certainly happy that Bohl runs a pretty damn tight ship where we don't have to worry about a lot of the baggage that a Gundy type might bring.
I agree (again can you believe it :lol: ). However, I also think the situation might be a larger indication of things to come. I think the first round of kneeling in the NFL generated some backlash among fans. Now, college athletes are gaining in their ability for compensation as well as "having a voice" so to speak.

Again, I want to be very clear, I'm not saying right or wrong; just making observations. People seem to continue to support Hollywood despite Hollywood's very vocal political stance. Will that continue? Will OSU face fan backlash in terms of ticket or other sales? Will the NFL this round face backlash? If college athletes strongly support something that is unpopular in a given state, will there be backlash from fans and donors? With young people and the cancel culture, will recruits avoid states that largely have a political view different than their own?

I guess I fear the floodgates are open and politics are about to consume athletics to a level we haven't seen before. Combine that with political tensions like I've never seen before, and I worry it going to cause harm to the sports world. I hope I'm wrong.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:27 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:28 pm

I agree (again can you believe it :lol: ). However, I also think the situation might be a larger indication of things to come. I think the first round of kneeling in the NFL generated some backlash among fans. Now, college athletes are gaining in their ability for compensation as well as "having a voice" so to speak.

Again, I want to be very clear, I'm not saying right or wrong; just making observations. People seem to continue to support Hollywood despite Hollywood's very vocal political stance. Will that continue? Will OSU face fan backlash in terms of ticket or other sales? Will the NFL this round face backlash? If college athletes strongly support something that is unpopular in a given state, will there be backlash from fans and donors? With young people and the cancel culture, will recruits avoid states that largely have a political view different than their own?

I guess I fear the floodgates are open and politics are about to consume athletics to a level we haven't seen before. Combine that with political tensions like I've never seen before, and I worry it going to cause harm to the sports world. I hope I'm wrong.
We agree a lot lately!

You also state something very important here! I believe college athletes realize that they now have a voice and can force change. Years ago - it was shut up and play because the coach is always right mentality. Now, players realize that coach isn't always right and they have a voice too. The 'Black-14' were certainly ahead of their time but those guys were right confronting a coach that was wrong.

Another good example of this change, is UCLA players signing a petition forcing additional COVID protections last week. While I am strongly on the side of the fence that thinks the sooner all of us relatively young people get it the better, those players had a right to voice their health and safety concerns and they were taken seriously.

Now what I really worry about is this new found ability of the college player will be taken to the next level of publicly questioning the coaches in-game decisions and player personnel decisions. The 'me first' type gripes that I hate about some professional sports. I hope that does not happen because it is the coach who should solely be in charge of those decisions (and they are held accountable through hiring/firing).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wow, prophetic topic. VIc Koenning now suspended https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia ... tive-leave
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Whelp, end conclusion: no evidence of racism. 1 million in salary reduction (probably to help covid impacted budgets. Needs to have more of a relationship with athletes whatever the hell that means.

Coddle and cancel culture is full force. I suspect similar findings in the VK case. Kids who are intolerant of political views that don't align with their own. Should be kept out of locker rooms but not grounds for severe punishment.

Frankly, it's censorship. If it had been a pro-Obama message and CNN shirt, there would have been grumbling from the fanbase but no big deal. Honestly, the double standard and censorship of anything non-liberal is getting scary.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:57 am Whelp, end conclusion: no evidence of racism. 1 million in salary reduction (probably to help covid impacted budgets. Needs to have more of a relationship with athletes whatever the hell that means.

Coddle and cancel culture is full force. I suspect similar findings in the VK case. Kids who are intolerant of political views that don't align with their own. Should be kept out of locker rooms but not grounds for severe punishment.

Frankly, it's censorship. If it had been a pro-Obama message and CNN shirt, there would have been grumbling from the fanbase but no big deal. Honestly, the double standard and censorship of anything non-liberal is getting scary.
Money talks. Kaepernick said that July 4th was the celebration of white supremacy. He will probably be in an NFL uniform on opening day and Nike will make tons of money off of him. Until those who lean right politically make a stand to boycott companies like Nike and the NFL, the players will be emboldened to say and do anything they want.

At Kansas State, several football players said they will not play unless a student who posted a tweet about George Floyd is expelled. Again, if alumni and boosters actually care that athletes will be dictating university policy, then they will have to withhold donations and tuition (for the sons and daughters) to send a message that their opinions count. There is no other way. The left does this with every corporation they disagree with. Whether it's Chick fil A or Facebook, they boycott advertising or just block the expansion of anything they disagree with.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Agreed. Conservatives are largely inept. They easily speak out against Hollywood or the media yet still turn on TVs. They still buy from companies who advertise with Hollywood elites. Imagine if they withheld their money and viewership? You have 2 voices, your vote and your wallet. If you watch TV or a movie, you endorse the ultra liberal.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 141 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:26 pm Agreed. Conservatives are largely inept. They easily speak out against Hollywood or the media yet still turn on TVs. They still buy from companies who advertise with Hollywood elites. Imagine if they withheld their money and viewership? You have 2 voices, your vote and your wallet. If you watch TV or a movie, you endorse the ultra liberal.
I purposely don’t buy Nike now. But adidas just got on the #stophate4profit list of companies boycotting advertising with Facebook, Instagram etc until they start censoring speech. From the direction we’re headed, it won’t be censoring communist propaganda nor hate speech deemed essential. It will 100% be used to silence conservatives that dare speak out against the progressive dogma.
W-Y, Until I Die!