Any predictions on the season happening?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 am
laxwyo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:03 pm 99.4% survivor rate. The pandemic is a joke. But you’re all right, there won’t be a season because the moment half a team “tests positive” the pandemic adult tv promoters will scare administrators into cancelling the season
This pandemic has killed roughly the population of Wyoming. That's a joke to you?
Are you aware of how many people die a year in the US? Where was your concern and compassion last year for those that died? or the year before, or the year before, or the year before........
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:29 am
laxwyo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:03 pm 99.4% survivor rate. The pandemic is a joke. But you’re all right, there won’t be a season because the moment half a team “tests positive” the pandemic adult tv promoters will scare administrators into cancelling the season
This pandemic has killed roughly the population of Wyoming. That's a joke to you?
Are you aware of how many people die a year in the US? Where was your concern and compassion last year for those that died? or the year before, or the year before, or the year before........
The CDC quotes an average of 7708 deaths per day in 2017 -- for a total of 2,813,420 that year. In 2018 there were 2,839,205. I don't think they have released 2019 yet. The 138,000 or so COVID deaths in the US still don't hold a candle to the heart disease and cancer deaths each year, which are both over half a million per year. Maybe people should stop eating, smoking, and drinking so much.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

'PokeForLife wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:46 am
The CDC quotes an average of 7708 deaths per day in 2017 -- for a total of 2,813,420 that year. In 2018 there were 2,839,205. I don't think they have released 2019 yet. The 138,000 or so COVID deaths in the US still don't hold a candle to the heart disease and cancer deaths each year, which are both over half a million per year. Maybe people should stop eating, smoking, and drinking so much.
How many of the people that died of COVID do you reckon would have died this year, anyway? like 25-50% People lose sight of the fact that really old and really sick people are the ones dying. Stuff happens when you're that old and sick. But the media sensationalizes the random young and healthy ones that die because this is one big political issue.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

'PokeForLife wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:46 am The CDC quotes an average of 7708 deaths per day in 2017 -- for a total of 2,813,420 that year. In 2018 there were 2,839,205. I don't think they have released 2019 yet. The 138,000 or so COVID deaths in the US still don't hold a candle to the heart disease and cancer deaths each year, which are both over half a million per year. Maybe people should stop eating, smoking, and drinking so much.
I didn't realize heart disease and cancer were contagious. Good to know!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Lost Poke wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:53 am
'PokeForLife wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:46 am The CDC quotes an average of 7708 deaths per day in 2017 -- for a total of 2,813,420 that year. In 2018 there were 2,839,205. I don't think they have released 2019 yet. The 138,000 or so COVID deaths in the US still don't hold a candle to the heart disease and cancer deaths each year, which are both over half a million per year. Maybe people should stop eating, smoking, and drinking so much.
I'm so sick of smart ass responses like this. There are severe consequences to these lock downs. Aside from economic ruin, there is depression from isolation and losing a sense of purpose. There is increased alcohol consumption and drug use. There is a loss of fitness and health from closing health clubs, cancelling outdoor activities (i.e. road races), and closing parks and ski areas.

What do you think the future of the University of Wyoming is? There will be massive layoffs and probably the elimination of several sports. Oh, and to answer the thread, there will not be a football season. I've posted this opinion before because until people are ready to assume some risk, then these shutdowns will be a permanent part of society. Frankly, I could see a lot schools getting rid of football permanently. The costs are too high and unless the school is getting big tv money, the revenue with reduced seating capacity is too low.
The fact that Wyoming has 20 covid deaths tells you that this is hardly a pandemic in some areas. I live in Larimer County (Fort Collins). There are 30 deaths in a county with nearly 400k people. All but a few were over 70. It's kind of like cutting your foot off to get rid of an ingrown toenail. But Ok. Feel smug and righteous that forcing everyone to stay home except going to the grocery store is somehow saving us all.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Lost Poke wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:53 am
The point is that a huge number of heart disease and cancer deaths are.... preventable (GASP!!!!!). It also turns out that a not insignificant number of cancer cases are directly due to infectious causes, and in 2002 the WHO reported that viruses caused 17.8% of human cancer. See cervical/penile cancer, head and neck squamous cell cancer, kaposi sarcoma, hepatocellular cancer, multiple lymphomas/leukemias, and many more. And don't come back with some "what about all the cancer patients who didn't do anything wrong?" Of course people get unlucky and there are unpreventable deaths. But how many people don't die if they would just not get fat, smoke, drink, have unprotected one night stands, shoot up heroine? Too many people are trying to have their cake and eat it too with COVID.

But now I'm really getting too far from the point of the thread. Sorry, ragtime.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

The problem with COVID is that it has become so political...see this thread. If you wear a mask you're some liberal nut, and if you don't you're a red hat wearing Trumper. How many of the deaths are being caused because folks are crying about wearing a mask?? I'm not for government mandates, but how about folks just take into account the effect of transmitting the virus to someone that is extremely susceptible? We shouldn't need Governments mandating that we wear masks, we should be wearing them out of common decency for our neighbors.

Most folks realize that there are risks and people are going to die. But how many can be prevented if precautions were taken until the vaccine is released? Why do these idiots run around claiming they don't have to wear a mask in privately owned businesses? Regardless of your political affiliation, how hard is it to wear a f-word mask when you're not able to social distance.

How would Americans be handling this if it weren't an election cycle??
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

PokeNer wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:27 pm How would Americans be handling this if it weren't an election cycle??
I was just wondering that earlier today. LOL

Full disclosure...I voted for Trump and yet, I wear a mask due to the fact I'm disabled (celebral palsy) and had two hernias (one in 2015 & the other in 2019).

BTW,...our jackass governor here in Oklahoma tested positive for COVID-19 and he was hellbent not wanting to wear a mask. Also, I kid you not, he's actually proud of the fact that he is the first governor to test positive.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Wyokie wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:53 pm
PokeNer wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:27 pm How would Americans be handling this if it weren't an election cycle??

Full disclosure...I voted for Trump and yet, I wear a mask due to the fact I'm disabled (celebral palsy) and had two hernias (one in 2015 & the other in 2019).

BTW,...our jackass governor here in Oklahoma tested positive for COVID-19 and he was hellbent not wanting to wear a mask. Also, I kid you not, he's actually proud of the fact that he is the first governor to test positive.
Yeah, he's not the first person to do such a thing, and won't be the last. Just recently, a 30 year old in Ohio went to all sorts of parties claiming Covid wasn't real. He ended up contracting and dying of it not long after.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

fromolwyoming wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:50 pm
Wyokie wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:53 pm

Yeah, he's not the first person to do such a thing, and won't be the last. Just recently, a 30 year old in Ohio went to all sorts of parties claiming Covid wasn't real. He ended up contracting and dying of it not long after.
Heard about the guy in Ohio. Karma can be a royal bitch!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Yes, I am aware that roughly 150,000 people die each day on average world wide. I'm ALSO aware that those numbers have spiked significantly this year, upwards of 50% in some countries.

Also, this disease doesn't just kill people. Out of a sample size of 100 people infected with COVID-19:
  • 1 will die
    19 will be hospitalized
    18 will have permanent heart damage
    10 will have permanent lung damage
    4 will have neurological damage that leads to chronic weakness, loss of coordination, and/or loss of cognitive function
    3 will have strokes
But hey, f-word 'em, right? YOU'RE ok, so everything is fine.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:43 am
Yes, I am aware that roughly 150,000 people die each day on average world wide. I'm ALSO aware that those numbers have spiked significantly this year, upwards of 50% in some countries.

Also, this disease doesn't just kill people. Out of a sample size of 100 people infected with COVID-19:
  • 1 will die
    19 will be hospitalized
    4 will have neurological damage that leads to chronic weakness, loss of coordination, and/or loss of cognitive function
    3 will have strokes
But hey, [#]f##k 'em, right? YOU'RE ok, so everything is fine.
Deaths did not spike 50%. That's misleading. They spiked 50% for a very short period of time. There's going to be a slight increase in overall mortality this year and over a three year period virtually no excess mortality because a lot of the critically ill got killed by covid this year. If you think the massive disruption in life is worth it, then OK. I don't. Millions out of work, national debt skyrocketing, children not getting education, children not having life-defining experiences, overdoses way up, suicides way up, child abuse way up, spouse abuse way up, and there's pretty good evidence that the economic downturn may kill more people than the virus mostly in third world counties, but who cares about those people, right. The media brain washing everyone and government encouraging such ridiculous, hysterical behavior is way more devastating to society then losing mostly sick, really old people that have gotten to live their lives. That's my opinion. And if you think saving just one life is worth it, then why don't we ban swimming and driving? Those deaths are 100% preventable. No? That's terrible logic because life involves risk and we make decisions based what's acceptable and what's not. I'll take greater than 99% chance of living any day
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:46 am

• 1 will die
    19 will be hospitalized
    3 will have strokes
Deaths did not spike 50%. That's misleading. They spiked 50% for a very short period of time. There's going to be a slight increase in overall mortality this year and over a three year period virtually no excess mortality because a lot of the critically ill got killed by covid this year. If you think the massive disruption in life is worth it, then OK. I don't. Millions out of work, national debt skyrocketing, children not getting education, children not having life-defining experiences, overdoses way up, suicides way up, child abuse way up, spouse abuse way up, and there's pretty good evidence that the economic downturn may kill more people than the virus mostly in third world counties, but who cares about those people, right. The media brain washing everyone and government encouraging such ridiculous, hysterical behavior is way more devastating to society then losing mostly sick, really old people that have gotten to live their lives. That's my opinion. And if you think saving just one life is worth it, then why don't we ban swimming and driving? Those deaths are 100% preventable. No? That's terrible logic because life involves risk and we make decisions based what's acceptable and what's not. I'll take greater than 99% chance of living any day
Lander, I agree with many of your points. The question I have is who do you blame for this cluster f-word? I put the majority of the blame at the feet of Trump. It was his administration that shut everything down, and killed this economy. His CDC that gave mixed messages. His vacillating between it was a hoax, then it was real, then it's a hoax, then it is real. He needed to pick a f-word lane and stay in it, instead of weaving back and forth like a drunken fool. He ruined the economy and for what - we are now in worse shape than we were back in March and April, almost twice as many cases, adding a bunch more each day, hospitals being overrun, folks laid off and not going back to work, companies afraid to open for fear their employees will sue if they get sick. I don't have any answers on what he should have done, but I'm not president. Bottom line, he f-word up and now he won't own it. And that really pisses me off.

Oh by the way, I don't see a complete season happening. After one kid tests positive, they will quarantine the whole team and that will be it. Season over.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Meh, I blame China. They knew this was going to be a big problem and kept spreading it around the world. Both sides started saying this was no big deal, then Italy happened. We overreacted based on Italy data AND we botched making the first round of tests which is why testing was so slow. Then the Democrats use draconian lock downs while supporting mass gatherings for protests. You can't be with your family for a 4th of July BBQ but you can join thousands side by side in a protest. Next, we get a huge spike in cases and it isn't because millions across the country joined in protests. This leads to a full blown credibility loss and partisan divide on the virus response.

I can't figure out how the mask thing is so political. There is NOT evidence to conclusively show they help but there is evidence that they could help. The CDC, Trump, Fauci, etc. need to come out and say "Hey, not sure if this going to work, but it is worth a try to get the country open again. Please put a mask on for the at least the next 6 weeks and we'll see if we can get this thing under control". The messaging has been terrible and politically divisive from both sides of the aisle. It has somehow become you're a sheep vs you're a self centered jerk instead of what it really is: an attempt to see if we can mitigate spread while reopening the country.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

I don’t get the Trump bashing. Why not lay the blame squarely where it belongs, China and their WHO lackeys. Trump suspended flights from China and was called a racist. He is not the one who shut things down. That was local government as in governors and Mayors.

We had a similar pandemic in 1969. Does anyone who was around then remember panic and shut downs? No. People took precautions like washing their hands and disinfecting surfaces. That was it. What is happening now is insane.

I agree there won’t be football this year. Too much hysteria.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

• 1 will die
    19 will be hospitalized
    3 will have strokes
I'd like like to know where you got those numbers. Could you provide a link to that data?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

CowboyNV wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:48 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:46 am

• 1 will die
    19 will be hospitalized
    3 will have strokes
Lander, I agree with many of your points. The question I have is who do you blame for this cluster [#]f##k? I put the majority of the blame at the feet of Trump. It was his administration that shut everything down, and killed this economy. His CDC that gave mixed messages. His vacillating between it was a hoax, then it was real, then it's a hoax, then it is real. He needed to pick a f##k[#] lane and stay in it, instead of weaving back and forth like a drunken fool. He ruined the economy and for what - we are now in worse shape than we were back in March and April, almost twice as many cases, adding a bunch more each day, hospitals being overrun, folks laid off and not going back to work, companies afraid to open for fear their employees will sue if they get sick. I don't have any answers on what he should have done, but I'm not president. Bottom line, he f##k[#] up and now he won't own it. And that really pisses me off.

Oh by the way, I don't see a complete season happening. After one kid tests positive, they will quarantine the whole team and that will be it. Season over.
I'm a Trump fan, but yeah, he bungled it. His initial instincts were correct, but he caved. It's hard to judge him too harshly when seemingly everyone is against him. Things are working out to perfection for the libs
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

ZapPoke wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:01 pm I don’t get the Trump bashing. Why not lay the blame squarely where it belongs, China and their WHO lackeys. Trump suspended flights from China and was called a racist. He is not the one who shut things down. That was local government as in governors and Mayors.
He didn't quarantine Americans coming back from China, and a good number of the positive tests have been from the European strain anyway.

And the Governors had to do something since Trump refused to (but notice how he tries to take all the credit for any good thing that happens, but refuses to take responsibility when something bad happens).
We had a similar pandemic in 1969. Does anyone who was around then remember panic and shut downs? No. People took precautions like washing their hands and disinfecting surfaces. That was it. What is happening now is insane.
And a million people died for it. Brilliant! But, Covid is NOT a strain of the Flu. The Flu tends to go into remission during the summer months, for one example. Yet Covid-19 is hammering Texas, California, and Florida (to name a few), while we are STILL finding out ways it spreads.
I agree there won’t be football this year. Too much hysteria.
Agreed on football, but not for "hysteria".

And recent studies are showing that herd immunity may not be possible with Covid-19. Even those that had it when it first made rounds, are getting it again.

By the way, how many remember Trump saying, "It will just go away. Like magic,"? Yeah, he keeps saying that, the death toll, hospitalized, and overall infected keeps rising. But, lets ignore the doctor that's spent the last 40+ years studying and advising on pandemics, whine about masks, dismiss everything else about this, because, "Trump said so!" The same guy that looks into an eclipse without any sort of eye protection and worships the North Korean dictator.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

Lmao major American cities are literally out of space in their morgues and people on here are claiming COVID is no big deal. You don’t sound tough talking like that, you sound like deranged members of a death cult.

By the way, they are discovering heart damage in nearly 50% of COVID survivors. We still don’t even know all the ways this virus can kill you.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Cowduck wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 pm Lmao major American cities are literally out of space in their morgues and people on here are claiming COVID is no big deal. You don’t sound tough talking like that, you sound like deranged members of a death cult.

By the way, they are discovering heart damage in nearly 50% of COVID survivors. We still don’t even know all the ways this virus can kill you.
See attached covid death chart. Note that deaths spiked in late April/early may at about 3k per day. The death rate now is 1k/day.
So why would morgues be filling up now? I'd like some data to back up that 50% claim. Did you get it from MSNBC? Because you sound like one of those hysterical liberals who want people to stay locked down, unless their rioting and looting, of course.

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+d ... e&ie=UTF-8