Bad News Coming Our Way

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Cornpoke wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:53 am Once a D1 conference announces they have canceled the season the dominoes will fall. I didn't think we would see a fall 2020 football season and even moving it to spring is too optimistic. Push everything back to 2021 and grant another year of eligibility, hopefully by then we can return to a normal college football atmosphere with fans being able to attend.
I tend to agree. What would this do to recruiting though? Grant another year of eligibility, does the NCAA grant an excess of scholarships to accommodate this? Can't wrap my head around how this would play out.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:28 am
Cornpoke wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:53 am Once a D1 conference announces they have canceled the season the dominoes will fall. I didn't think we would see a fall 2020 football season and even moving it to spring is too optimistic. Push everything back to 2021 and grant another year of eligibility, hopefully by then we can return to a normal college football atmosphere with fans being able to attend.
I tend to agree. What would this do to recruiting though? Grant another year of eligibility, does the NCAA grant an excess of scholarships to accommodate this? Can't wrap my head around how this would play out.
That’s the problem that I have been thinking about this whole time that I have never heard anyone talk about. It will back log everything a whole year as far as recruiting and high school seniors going to college. My nephew was getting college baseball scholarship offers as he would be a freshman this upcoming year but the teams are now telling him that they don’t need him right now on the account that all the seniors get another year of eligibility.

So I am not understanding what they will do with this either.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:49 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:28 am
That’s the problem that I have been thinking about this whole time that I have never heard anyone talk about. It will back log everything a whole year as far as recruiting and high school seniors going to college. My nephew was getting college baseball scholarship offers as he would be a freshman this upcoming year but the teams are now telling him that they don’t need him right now on the account that all the seniors get another year of eligibility.

So I am not understanding what they will do with this either.
Up the scholarship quota for a few years? I'm guessing a lot of schools wouldn't be able to afford that, though.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:09 pm I am hearing some rumors that UW classes are going to online only. And you all know the domino effect from there...

:evil:
Do you have additional news on this? UW's release from yesterday seems to indicate the opposite. The University has announced it will be sending 2 masks, a thermometer, hand sanitizer and a COVID safety book to every student, faculty and staff member in preparation for in person classer.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:23 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:09 pm I am hearing some rumors that UW classes are going to online only. And you all know the domino effect from there...

Do you have additional news on this? UW's release from yesterday seems to indicate the opposite. The University has announced it will be sending 2 masks, a thermometer, hand sanitizer and a COVID safety book to every student, faculty and staff member in preparation for in person classer.
Still just rumors at this point, although I know several students that all of their classes have been moved "online". They receive notice via email from UW with class schedule updates when they change. **I also know another student that all classes were moved online, to then have one moved back to in-class / in-person. They have also been notified they will have a self-covid-saliva-test mailed to them, at no expense, that they must complete before returning.

I don't know what to believe or not believe at this point, as to what UW will do. The prez is clearly on the bandwagon to have students return this fall...announced on social media over the weekend.

Any students on here with email updates to confirm all of the above?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:32 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:23 pm

Still just rumors at this point, although I know several students that all of their classes have been moved "online". They receive notice via email from UW with class schedule updates when they change. **I also know another student that all classes were moved online, to then have one moved back to in-class / in-person. They have also been notified they will have a self-covid-saliva-test mailed to them, at no expense, that they must complete before returning.

I don't know what to believe or not believe at this point, as to what UW will do. The prez is clearly on the bandwagon to have students return this fall...announced on social media over the weekend.

Any students on here with email updates to confirm all of the above?
The information that I have from someone involved is this - classes are being finalized as to whether they will be 'traditional,' or 'online only'. To qualify as a 'traditional' class, the classroom must be able to accommodate the students registered in the class with social distancing guideline room. Traditional classes should also allow students to participate remotely (i.e. with simultaneous Zoom conferencing). The individual instructors can also move their classes completely online if their departments find that they are the type of class capable of being taught online and if the instructor chooses to do so. All instructors are required to be prepared to move their classes completely online at any moment should the University suspend/pause in-person classes.

The way I see it sorting through all of this: (1) All large 'lecture' type classes will be online because of facility size issues; (2) labs will probably be in person in smaller class sizes; (3) smaller classes will be in person only if the instructor and department determine that it is suitable. I can't see any department head requiring any instructor to teach in person if the instructor doesn't feel comfortable . Hopefully a lot of the younger/healthier faculty will step up and will go forward with traditional teaching if it is feasible.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Since the MLB model has failed thus far, I continue to not have a good feeling about UW football this fall.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:22 am Since the MLB model has failed thus far, I continue to not have a good feeling about UW football this fall.
I actually think the MLB model has shown that it is possible. Miami is sick...so they are out for a week and MLB just changes the schedule. I can see it now - - can't play New Mexico this week because New Mexico is sick but we found a replacement with Texas State.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:32 pm I actually think the MLB model has shown that it is possible. Miami is sick...so they are out for a week and MLB just changes the schedule. I can see it now - - can't play New Mexico this week because New Mexico is sick but we found a replacement with Texas State.
Possible, sure, but what a logistical nightmare. The ripple effect has been major in MLB. This didn't just effect the Marlins. It's also screwing up the schedules for the Phillies, Yankees, Nationals, and Orioles.

I truly hope that we can have a football season in Laramie this year, but I'm with McPeachy. It's not looking promising.