Covid19 in PNW

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

They just announced closure of our schools for the fall. Online only

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/loc ... 56467.html
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Weird since the data is suggesting a really low chance of transmission between children.

Ambitious teachers should quit and open a 15 student home-school service. $200/kid/week for 9 months. Gross 108k.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:49 pm Weird since the data is suggesting a really low chance of transmission between children.

Ambitious teachers should quit and open a 15 student home-school service. $200/kid/week for 9 months. Gross 108k.
Where have you seen this data? Israel is currently blaming their new spikes on schools reopening (though I have not seen it "proven" other than just numbers). They're at about 1500 new cases a day over the past week, which is a lot for a population of under 9 Million.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

In terms of case studies, this could have been useful had they given more numbers:
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/coro ... 33587.html

At least 80 people testing positive, but no mention of how many of those are children, and it only says "hundreds of attendees," which could be 300 or 900, which would obviously mean very different rates of infection.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

That study is a big part of why I had no qualms signing my son up for hockey this fall already, but it's extremely important to not gloss over "provided they follow appropriate social distancing guidelines and take into account rates of transmission in their community."

In other words, while this study suggests children aren't likely to transmit the disease, it still says they get it from interaction with adults. Which is likely also what happened at that church camp in Texas.

Our school district is looking to go to a hybrid model. The kids REALLY need social interaction, and tons of parents simply can't stay at home with the kids without going bankrupt. I hope they figure that whole problem out so those parents can leave their kids in school full time. My son's fine schooling from home, but he really wants to hang out with his classmates.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:19 am
That study is a big part of why I had no qualms signing my son up for hockey this fall already, but it's extremely important to not gloss over "provided they follow appropriate social distancing guidelines and take into account rates of transmission in their community."

In other words, while this study suggests children aren't likely to transmit the disease, it still says they get it from interaction with adults. Which is likely also what happened at that church camp in Texas.

Our school district is looking to go to a hybrid model. The kids REALLY need social interaction, and tons of parents simply can't stay at home with the kids without going bankrupt. I hope they figure that whole problem out so those parents can leave their kids in school full time. My son's fine schooling from home, but he really wants to hang out with his classmates.
Do we really even need to care about positive cases in children if 25% show mo symptoms and the rest show mild cold like symptoms? That church camp you reference had 200+ infections but didn’t mention a single hospitalization. Did it? Why are we worried? We should be vigilant but Jesus, it seems like everyone has lost all sense of reality.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:28 pm

Do we really even need to care about positive cases in children if 25% show mo symptoms and the rest show mild cold like symptoms? That church camp you reference had 200+ infections but didn’t mention a single hospitalization. Did it? Why are we worried? We should be vigilant but Jesus, it seems like everyone has lost all sense of reality.
Because, last time I checked, most kids don't live alone. Not saying we need to throw them in a bubble, but they are the perfect vector to spread a contagion.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:48 am
laxwyo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:28 pm

Because, last time I checked, most kids don't live alone. Not saying we need to throw them in a bubble, but they are the perfect vector to spread a contagion.
All the info points to them being poop vectors. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 100934.htm

This is consistent with most data that’s been out there.

The other question is even if they are, most school age children have parents that aren’t in the age group most at risk. Of course you’d take precautions if grandparents are raising child or hate underlying conditions. But to shut down school for these circumstances is totally dumb.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:38 am All the info points to them being sh#t[#] vectors. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 100934.htm

This is consistent with most data that’s been out there.

The other question is even if they are, most school age children have parents that aren’t in the age group most at risk. Of course you’d take precautions if grandparents are raising child or hate underlying conditions. But to shut down school for these circumstances is totally dumb.
It looks like you didn't actually read what your link found out. From one of the very studies they looked at:
"In 47 COVID-19–infected German children, nasopharyngeal SARS-CoV-2 viral loads were similar to those in other age groups, raising concern that children could be as infectious as adults. Because SARS-CoV-2 infected children are so frequently mildly symptomatic, they may have weaker and less frequent cough, releasing fewer infectious particles into the surrounding environment. Another possibility is that because school closures occurred in most locations along with or before widespread physical distancing orders, most close contacts became limited to households, reducing opportunities for children to become infected in the community and present as index cases."

Israel had an explosion in new cases when they re-opened their schools. They've been hovering around 1500 cases a day for the past few weeks now for a population of under 9 Million. This despite a ton of precautions.

To me, going to distance-learning is to actually still have teachers. Don't know about the school you went to, but a significant portion of my teachers throughout elementary, high school, and college weren't exactly the epitome of healthy choices and an active life. I noticed Dr. Cowles is still teaching at UW... he looked elderly and frail in 2004. Can't even imagine what he looks like today.

Also, do you have any actual studies on long-term effects of this virus on children who were asymptomatic?