Non-COVID Thread: Assume 2020 football doesn't happen

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

By non-COVID thread, I mean no discussion around the other political events. I'm really thinking 2020 is out. For this thread, IF 2020 is out, what does that look like? Do you think we'll have some attrition? Do you think everyone holds but we'll just be even better with more time? How do you think they'll handle the scholarships with incoming Freshmen?

Mind boggling to think of all the variables. Maybe they just try the spring? What would no 2020 mean for WYO football? Better, worse, no change?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Assuming 2020 is out and it's starting to look like it.... :roll:

It'll be the first we won't see Wyoming football since 1945. And...it'll be just the FIFTH time in UW football history that'll be no games in the fall.

The other times....

1918: due to a little ole thing called the Spanish Flu Pandemic. You all might have heard of it. :lol: This world needs humor badly!!!!
1943-45 due to World War II.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times

There are a lot of dominoes that will fall - the trickle down is enormous.

I think all scholarshipped athletes get a free pass year - no loss of eligibility. Will there be attrition? Yes, likely. Especially those that are done with school.

I understand we will know a lot after 8/1/20.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Wyokie wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:26 pm Assuming 2020 is out and it's starting to look like it.... :roll:

It'll be the first we won't see Wyoming football since 1945. And...it'll be just the FIFTH time in UW football history that'll be no games in the fall.

The other times....

1918: due to a little ole thing called the Spanish Flu Pandemic. You all might have heard of it. :lol: This world needs humor badly!!!!
Yeah, despite the name, the Spanish Flu's earliest known cases can be traced to Kansas. It was just in Spain where it was actually reported and studied on publicly for the first time.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

fromolwyoming wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:14 pm
Wyokie wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:26 pm Assuming 2020 is out and it's starting to look like it.... :roll:

The other times....

Yeah, despite the name, the Spanish Flu's earliest known cases can be traced to Kansas. It was just in Spain where it was actually reported and studied on publicly for the first time.
I know the history.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

It was announced today that the U.S. open golf tournament in September will have no fans. I can understand how television alone can prop up pro sports. But how can lower tier schools like Wyoming justify playing if no fans are allowed? We've yet to see a sporting event where any fans are allowed. I personally would rather the season be cancelled than have the team play in an empty stadium. This isn't political - it's a fact- until Covid is treated like a cold instead of leprosy, we can't have sports like football or basketball. They aren't compatible with social distancing. Plus, it isn't fair to the kids. Everyone else has to abide by social distancing rules but the players have to play because their sport generates money? As much as I'll miss football this fall, I don't want to see some half assed version where no one is allowed to attend and games get cancelled anyway after a few positive tests from our side or the opponent of the week. Sorry for the rant but none of this makes sense.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:10 pm There are a lot of dominoes that will fall - the trickle down is enormous.

I think all scholarshipped athletes get a free pass year - no loss of eligibility. Will there be attrition? Yes, likely. Especially those that are done with school.

I understand we will know a lot after 8/1/20.
Is there a major conference meeting going on?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:02 pm Plus, it isn't fair to the kids. Everyone else has to abide by social distancing rules but the players have to play because their sport generates money?
I'm not completely sure I agree with this. I do think the main problem is that it's hard to make sure people stay responsible off the field, but if you had that, technically they'd still abide by social distancing rules while playing a game because both teams come from controlled environments with constant testing. Sure, it's not like the bubbles that the NHL has which are also situated in places with VERY few infections, but still.

I don't know. I'd imagine if I was a player, I'd way rather play than not play, even without a crowd. It's what you spend your entire off season gearing up toward, and if you're a senior with no pro prospects, you'd probably REALLY want to play your last season now rather than getting into a strange no-man's-land where you've graduated but not really, just so you could play another year.

Where this really sucks is that I think we have been perfectly aligned for a potentially great season. Obviously we're not playing Utah no matter what, and they would've been a great measuring stick.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:36 am
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:02 pm Plus, it isn't fair to the kids. Everyone else has to abide by social distancing rules but the players have to play because their sport generates money?
I'm not completely sure I agree with this. I do think the main problem is that it's hard to make sure people stay responsible off the field, but if you had that, technically they'd still abide by social distancing rules while playing a game because both teams come from controlled environments with constant testing. Sure, it's not like the bubbles that the NHL has which are also situated in places with VERY few infections, but still.

I don't know. I'd imagine if I was a player, I'd way rather play than not play, even without a crowd. It's what you spend your entire off season gearing up toward, and if you're a senior with no pro prospects, you'd probably REALLY want to play your last season now rather than getting into a strange no-man's-land where you've graduated but not really, just so you could play another year.

Where this really sucks is that I think we have been perfectly aligned for a potentially great season. Obviously we're not playing Utah no matter what, and they would've been a great measuring stick.
My last post wasn't clear (perhaps none of them are). First, I don't believe college kids will practice social distancing off campus. But the point I was trying to make was the lack of consistency. Either ignore the virus (Sweden), or take it seriously. I'm guessing the players want to play. But how can we tell them to wear masks and practice social distancing on campus but then tell them to do just the opposite for 3 hours on Saturday and for a couple of hours of practice each day?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:42 am My last post wasn't clear (perhaps none of them are). First, I don't believe college kids will practice social distancing off campus. But the point I was trying to make was the lack of consistency. Either ignore the virus (Sweden), or take it seriously. I'm guessing the players want to play. But how can we tell them to wear masks and practice social distancing on campus but then tell them to do just the opposite for 3 hours on Saturday and for a couple of hours of practice each day?
I suppose that all makes sense.
I do want to mention that Sweden's pretty misunderstood in all this. They didn't really shut down (except Stockholm and Gothenburg, both which got hit hard right after Italy started breaking out), but they've been pretty damn strict on social distancing the entire time. My mom still hasn't been inside my sister's house since March, and they live within walking distance of each other.

Maybe it would have been smarter had they shut down like the other Nordic countries, but they're still down to just an average of a couple of hundred new cases a day even if you add in the cases that aren't officially reported (since counties only report when they have whatever threshold of new cases, and individual positive tests are "ignored" aside from contract tracing and follow-up testing).

With all that said, I guess what you said really is the core issue: for practices and games to work and fall under responsible social distancing, ALL the players and coaches need to follow the rules. It only takes one person to screw it up for everybody since they all mingle during games and practices. Guess Marlins have shown us just how quickly it can spread within a team.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

MLB is definitely an interesting study to follow in terms of infections. One pitcher is now out until next season (hopefully it's temporary, at least) because of a heart condition due to previous COVID infection, and there's been a ton of canceled games already.

The players also refused the whole bubble concept used by NBA and NHL, and now we know a significant number of them did NOT adhere to the rules of social distancing and self isolation. MLB's investigation of the Marlins showed players broke protocol and went out to bars while in Atlanta.

These guys are pro athletes, not college kids. I'm more and more seeing your argument, bladerunnr.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I wonder if we hear anything today. I'm betting first attempt is conference only without fans or greatly reduced capacity. Lobos may have to opt out or play all road games. I haven't paid attention, do other states have a mandatory quarantine for travelers? If so, teams in those states will have to play road games only unless that is lifted.

They have to make a call pretty soon. Like I said, I'm betting conference only but worry an outbreak or two will cancel the season.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Kinda doubt there will be any news today as the NCAA Board of Governors meets again tomorrow. I would think that most conferences, if they haven't done anything yet, will wait a day to see what the NCAA says tomorrow. If nothing comes of that meeting, might hear something Wednesday.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Wyokie wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:21 pm
fromolwyoming wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:14 pm

The other times....

I know the history.
Forgive him. He’s just a liberal wanker so he thinks he’s smarter than everyone else
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Though plan is to continue this fall, I still worry it is unworkable. If it gets bumped to spring, NFL said they won't change draft dates. I wonder if that means some kids play until the combine, and then are out? Completely theoretical if season is bumped to spring.