PAC 12 player demands

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I get it; I do. However, you are watching the end of college of football. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think they shot for half in the hopes of getting a smaller fraction, but I'm betting most athletic programs can't operate on even a 25% reduction in revenues especially with the increased costs associated with the other demands.

The COVID liability is also pretty big. Without a liability waiver, I'm betting most athletic departments will punt on seasons. The feds really need to step in and absolve ALL liability associated with COVID.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

The players want 50% revenue sharing. That isn't going to happen. However, the fact that the commissioner of the Pac 12 receives a salary of 5.3 million/year is beyond outrageous. The players are not wrong when they claim their hard work is benefiting college administrators. But turning college sports into a second tier professional league is going to eliminate all but a few very rich schools from continuing their athletic programs.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:12 am I get it; I do. However, you are watching the end of college of football. It will be interesting to see what happens. I think they shot for half in the hopes of getting a smaller fraction, but I'm betting most athletic programs can't operate on even a 25% reduction in revenues especially with the increased costs associated with the other demands.

The COVID liability is also pretty big. Without a liability waiver, I'm betting most athletic departments will punt on seasons. The feds really need to step in and absolve ALL liability associated with COVID.
I would say..the end of college football as we know it. My guess is that it will exist at the highest levels as some sort of quasi-pro league for the big time programs. For everybody else it will be some sort of High school + situation. Either way the vast majority of programs are on the outside looking in. I guess this is kind of already how it was...just now it is going to become official. Ever since the NCAA ceded control of football in the '80s it has been a painful slide to this point. If memory serves, there was a supreme court decision in the early '80s that let the horse out of the corral and it ain't coming back. The decision was probably correct but it still hurts for everybody but the big guys. Ultimately the NCAA has only itself to blame. I can imagine a world where they could have been proactive and kept it's institutions happy but it got lax and tried to keep the gravy train rolling and got burned.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

If a person doesn't like the NCAA they are free not to take part in NCAA athletics. I don't get it. It is what it is. Take it or leave it.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:19 pm If a person doesn't like the NCAA they are free not to take part in NCAA athletics. I don't get it. It is what it is. Take it or leave it.
I'm of the same mindset but the current landscape of college football is far more complex than to think it's that simple. The NFL should be FORCED somehow to institute a minor league. This would allow college's to take on true student athletes while those that choose to go drafted can do so. They are paid under contract just like minor league baseball and try to work their way up to the NFL. Problem solved. Bring back the STUDENT-athlete.
I'm good for 3!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Cornpoke wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:08 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:19 pm If a person doesn't like the NCAA they are free not to take part in NCAA athletics. I don't get it. It is what it is. Take it or leave it.
I'm of the same mindset but the current landscape of college football is far more complex than to think it's that simple. The NFL should be FORCED somehow to institute a minor league. This would allow college's to take on true student athletes while those that choose to go drafted can do so. They are paid under contract just like minor league baseball and try to work their way up to the NFL. Problem solved. Bring back the STUDENT-athlete.
Yeah, I would totally watch minor league football too. It's worked out pretty well for the NHL, and even for the MLB aside from them setting up waaaay too much of a differential between pay for minor and major. Tons of the most talented players still play in college, even though many of them do leave after two or three years, depending. College isn't for everybody, nor should it be. Having other options would also mean a lot less incentive for schools to cheat with the grades a la North Carolina.

That said, for obvious reasons the NCAA would never want this.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I know it won't happen but I wonder if the xfl could serve in that role? I almost think they'd do better as an nfl farm league and play in the spring. Cap age at 5 or 6 years post-high school graduation. Even UDFAs who declared early and don't land on a roster can play.

I agree. A football minor league solves everything.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:04 am I know it won't happen but I wonder if the xfl could serve in that role? I almost think they'd do better as an nfl farm league and play in the spring. Cap age at 5 or 6 years post-high school graduation. Even UDFAs who declared early and don't land on a roster can play.

I agree. A football minor league solves everything.
Speaking of XFL, there's been several articles about Wacha lately. Sure it helps that his brother brings him up in interviews, but cool nevertheless. I hope he does well if the season happens.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:58 pm
Yeah, I would totally watch minor league football too. It's worked out pretty well for the NHL, and even for the MLB aside from them setting up waaaay too much of a differential between pay for minor and major. Tons of the most talented players still play in college, even though many of them do leave after two or three years, depending. College isn't for everybody, nor should it be. Having other options would also mean a lot less incentive for schools to cheat with the grades a la North Carolina.

I believe hockey would be a decent model to emulate. Stud plays 1 year at Alabama, gets drafted, can choose to play at Alabama or go to the minor team or hell, maybe even the nfl team.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:19 pm

I believe hockey would be a decent model to emulate. Stud plays 1 year at Alabama, gets drafted, can choose to play at Alabama or go to the minor team or hell, maybe even the nfl team.
NHL does a solid job for sure. I like the MLB model, too. You can enter the draft after your senior year of high school. Don't like your draft position or don't get drafted? Go to junior college for 2 years, then enter again OR go to a 4 year university for 4 years and enter again. No one and done. No college requirement. Do what is best for you and your situation.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:57 pm NHL does a solid job for sure. I like the MLB model, too. You can enter the draft after your senior year of high school. Don't like your draft position or don't get drafted? Go to junior college for 2 years, then enter again OR go to a 4 year university for 4 years and enter again. No one and done. No college requirement. Do what is best for you and your situation.
MLB and their 5,000 draft rounds is definitely interesting. My son's coach had his oldest kid get drafted, and then he went to a JuCo in Nebraska and had a scholarship waiting for University of North Carolina after that if he didn't go pro.

Except he blew his back out last spring and called it quits, so now he's just finishing up college instead. But at least he had that option and had the first two years of school paid for.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:57 pm
laxwyo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:19 pm

NHL does a solid job for sure. I like the MLB model, too. You can enter the draft after your senior year of high school. Don't like your draft position or don't get drafted? Go to junior college for 2 years, then enter again OR go to a 4 year university for 4 years and enter again. No one and done. No college requirement. Do what is best for you and your situation.
A couple slight tweaks to what you laid out. Players that go Juco are draft eligible after their first and second year. So a guy (like Bryce Harper did) can go Juco for 1 year, get drafted and go pro. However, if the player goes to a 4-year school, they aren't eligible until after their second year. Then they can be drafted after Soph, Jr and Sr years.

I like this format as well. Guys that want to be 1 and done can go to Juco. Anyone else can go to a 4-year, get at least 2 years of education and playing experience and then explore their options.