MWC to go 8 conf and 2 non conf games

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

So which game to wew cut? Weber ST?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

303cowboy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:33 am

So which game to wew cut? Weber ST?
My guess: the road trip to Louisiana.

By the way, UCONN cancelled their entire football season today. Wonder who'll be next to cancel football.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Why
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Any legal experts on here? I'm wondering about these announcements of scheduling format.

If a conference goes conference only, then I'm guessing that absolves a University from being held to the contracted OOC game (buyout) because the decision is beyond control of the University as a result of an Act of God.

However, if a school is allowed 2 OOC games and cancel 2 others (just for example), is the school financially responsible for the buyouts associated with the 2 cancelled games?

It seems the conference and OOC hybrid model muddies the water in relation to any contract cancelled.

I just hope the MWC teams choose to cancel the byu games :evil:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:26 pm Any legal experts on here? I'm wondering about these announcements of scheduling format.

If a conference goes conference only, then I'm guessing that absolves a University from being held to the contracted OOC game (buyout) because the decision is beyond control of the University as a result of an Act of God.

However, if a school is allowed 2 OOC games and cancel 2 others (just for example), is the school financially responsible for the buyouts associated with the 2 cancelled games?

It seems the conference and OOC hybrid model muddies the water in relation to any contract cancelled.

Good questions, or does it also open up the other way for lawsuits against the SEC, big ten, and pac-12 conferences? If the Mountain West and other conferences like the AAC and CUSA play non-conference games and show it was possible could they sue the p5 conferences for the losses of those contracts? Since the presidents of those p5 schools still got a vote in those conference decisions to go conference only, it wasn't totally out of each of those individual schools hands for canceling the games like they try to claim when they got a vote on it.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WyomingAgJ wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:58 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:26 pm Any legal experts on here? I'm wondering about these announcements of scheduling format.

Good questions, or does it also open up the other way for lawsuits against the SEC, big ten, and pac-12 conferences? If the Mountain West and other conferences like the AAC and CUSA play non-conference games and show it was possible could they sue the p5 conferences for the losses of those contracts? Since the presidents of those p5 schools still got a vote in those conference decisions to go conference only, it wasn't totally out of each of those individual schools hands for canceling the games like they try to claim when they got a vote on it.
Good point. They technically voted to stop the OOC season. The only thing I could find about contract verbiage is between TAMU and UNT:
“Neither party will be responsible to the other for losses resulting from the failure to perform any term or provisions of this agreement, if the party’s failure to perform is attributed to acts of war, riot, strike, civil disorder, or other work stoppage, fire, flood, acts of God or any other event not within the control of the party whose performance is interfered with, and which, by reasonable diligence, such party is unable to prevent,” the contract reads."
https://dentonrc.com/rsssports/status-o ... a214d.html

The question is, can they claim the "work stoppage" is a result of the pandemic when on the other hand they are scheduling other games? What makes the OOC games unworkable and the conference games workable? In the MWC's case, teams that have to drop OOC games have even less of an argument. 2 are okay but not 3 or 4?

I wonder if anyone will actually pursue the legal challenges or if it will be an unstated agreement to just let everyone do what they want/can this year? I'm not complaining and happy that we at least tentatively have football scheduled; I'm just curious how the contract side of things works out? I'd imagine there are lots of contracts, TV, game, vendors, etc.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

Officially announced as eight conference games and two non-conference games, but with the season not starting till September 26th. I think that wipes out all of our currently scheduled non-conference games. Do we try to move two of them to later this season, schedule two other teams, or not play the non-conference portion at all?

So much for getting some better TV spots. Mountain West could have probably gotten some better coverage with so many other leagues pushed to the end of September, but that won't happen now as mountain West games will now still be competing against all the other leagues that are starting at the same time
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

WyomingAgJ wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:08 pm Officially announced as eight conference games and two non-conference games, but with the season not starting till September 26th. I think that wipes out all of our currently scheduled non-conference games. Do we try to move two of them to later this season, schedule two other teams, or not play the non-conference portion at all?

So much for getting some better TV spots. Mountain West could have probably gotten some better coverage with so many other leagues pushed to the end of September, but that won't happen now as mountain West games will now still be competing against all the other leagues that are starting at the same time
Provided we even HAVE a season!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Any rationale to postponing until end of September? Of course any change other than trying to minimize fan exposure is stupid.

Can someone name one pro athlete, college athlete or celebrity that tested positive and was hospitalized? If not, we might as well be arguing about a cold.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

laxwyo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:13 pm Any rationale to postponing until end of September? Of course any change other than trying to minimize fan exposure is stupid.

Can someone name one pro athlete, college athlete or celebrity that tested positive and was hospitalized? If not, we might as well be arguing about a cold.
Remember a country rock singer from the 1990s named Joe Diffie? He died from COVID-19 when this whole mess got started.

Herman Cain, a black politician who actually ran for President years ago, died recently from it.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

Just a delay tactic to try and salvage the season. I very much doubt any games will be played this year. Those who think a vaccine will be the answer should remember that the flu vaccine does not prevent widespread flu contagion. After basketball and all spring sports are cancelled, it will be deja vu all over again regarding the 2021 football season.

Here in Colorado, all fall high school sports have been cancelled. Football has been moved to next spring. The football teams will be practicing in February during the height of flu season. Yeah, that's gonna happen.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:09 pm Just a delay tactic to try and salvage the season. I very much doubt any games will be played this year. Those who think a vaccine will be the answer should remember that the flu vaccine does not prevent widespread flu contagion. After basketball and all spring sports are cancelled, it will be deja vu all over again regarding the 2021 football season.

Here in Colorado, all fall high school sports have been cancelled. Football has been moved to next spring. The football teams will be practicing in February during the height of flu season. Yeah, that's gonna happen.
I agree on the college football season not happening.

BTW, as far as I know, Oklahoma's high school athletics association (OSSAA) is allowing football to go on as planned so far.

Also, Okie State ha to cancel Homecoming this year. It woulda been the 100th one.

Amazing how a super tiny virus can do so much damage to everyday life. And I though the people in 1918-19 had it bad with the Spanish Flu (although that one was far deadlier). Incidently there were people at that time who bitched about not wanting to wear a mask. Funny how history repeats itself.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

laxwyo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:13 pm Any rationale to postponing until end of September? Of course any change other than trying to minimize fan exposure is stupid.

Von Miller said it really sucked and people should take it serious.. and he's one of the best athletes in all of pro sports right now.
ImageImageImageImage
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez had to sit out because of the heart thing COVID causes in some people. I think he's like 27 or something.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Back to topic:

I'm assuming we redo the entire MWC schedule. If so, do you think there is a chance that all OOC games must occur early season and games like byu-bsu are forced to cancel? I really hope so but doubt it because of the AF vs Army and Navy.

Not just byu hate, but it makes the most sense. Reserve the latter part of the season for byes and such for flexibility in scheduling.

Either way, I'm guessing the whole conference schedule gets reworked. Thoughts?
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:44 pm Back to topic:

I'm assuming we redo the entire MWC schedule. If so, do you think there is a chance that all OOC games must occur early season and games like byu-bsu are forced to cancel? I really hope so but doubt it because of the AF vs Army and Navy.

Not just byu hate, but it makes the most sense. Reserve the latter part of the season for byes and such for flexibility in scheduling.

Either way, I'm guessing the whole conference schedule gets reworked. Thoughts?
I would bet so too, but I would think they'll leave the eight games that everyone already has scheduled for conference play at least the same both in terms of home and away and not changing the cross division opponents that are scheduled. But I bet the dates of games will move around.

In the big 10 case they actually had to switch some home and away games for some teams to make it work out but they also went to the 10 conference games where they had to add additional matchups.

Since we are staying at eight conference matchups you would think they could leave the opponents scheduled the same and home/away situation the same and just mess with the dates
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

I'm guessing BYU will be desperate to try to schedule MWC games since they're down to just 7 already. If Houston and Northern Illinois cancel, then it's a REALLY light schedule... and they still have North Alabama on there too, though I'm not sure their division will cancel.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think we should rush to be the first team to play. Switch out Weber for Nichols State or Northern Colorado. That way if they cancel the season before anyone else plays we are 1-0. Default national champions 😉.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

marcuswyo wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:05 pm I think we should rush to be the first team to play. Switch out Weber for Nichols State or Northern Colorado. That way if they cancel the season before anyone else plays we are 1-0. Default national champions 😉.
I like the way you think!

Also, I'm sure it would somehow and impossibly have a positive impact on recruiting.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

MrTitleist wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:44 am

Von Miller said it really sucked and people should take it serious.. and he's one of the best athletes in all of pro sports right now.
So, just like the flu. The flue sucks pretty bad and last time I had it was 3 days in bed.
W-Y, Until I Die!