The MWC is canceling fall sports.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

As much as this sucks, I'd enjoy having a spring season and hope it's possible. That said, it doesn't sound like we'll have a vaccine until like March or April at best if that's what we're waiting for. Phase 3 trials are just starting, and for most vaccines, phase 3 takes 1-4 years, and only a little over a quarter of the vaccines make it from there into Phase 4 and then mass production.

Japan full re-opened in June after being down to like 30 cases a day (on a population of 125 Million), and now suddenly they're getting hit harder than the first time around.

Contrast this with South Korea who's kept some restrictions in place and have held steady at 30ish cases a day for several months now - and they've somehow kept their economy going pretty damn well. A 1.9% drop is nothing all things considered, especially since it's turning around too. This while somehow keeping soccer and baseball going since May. I haven't been able to find out any details on how they're so damn different?

I wish college football could do the bubble thing similar to hockey and basketball.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

COVID hype will go away after November or until cable news finds their new thing to incite the public over.

This was about student athlete unionization. I think this topic is going to heat up soon. Expect changes.
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

how about Sept 5.. the Bohl Bowl.

NDSU @ Wyoming.

NDSU is still practicing and vows to play 3 non conference games vs ANY FBS team with the balls to play them.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

J-Bone wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 pm COVID hype will go away after November or until cable news finds their new thing to incite the public over.

This was about student athlete unionization. I think this topic is going to heat up soon. Expect changes.
It hasn't gone away in other places that don't have elections upcoming... even in places that have it under control, it's still almost all they talk about, because people want to return to normal.

Here's a question re: spring football. Couldn't they possibly actually play in cold weather gear? People already wear gloves, long sleeves, and hell, I've seen more than a few NFL players with full athletic face masks in cold weather too (though the ones with a mouth hole do seem more common than the others). You'd think any risk of transmission would go down significantly from that.

I mean, you could probably even find reinforced versions of this that actually stopped any droplets from going anywhere (obviously you have to cover the nose too):

Old-Bull
Cowpoke

J-Bone wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 pm COVID hype will go away after November or until cable news finds their new thing to incite the public over.

I think it's already heated up.

The B1G, Pac, MWC all had united groups of athletes come forward in the last 2 weeks, making demands or they won't play.

That's why they canceled the seasons, not covid.

The problem now, a national group of players has organized under the banner of #Wewanttoplay, because their seasons are being canceled.

Either way, it looks like the genie is out of the bottle for the NCAA. Players have organized, are making demands, and have an entire canceled season to figure out their next moves.

Pac12 players are demanding 50 percent of the profit from their program. MWC players want insurance and all covid medical bill covered.

The problem for the NCAA is keeping their "amateur" tag and tax exempt status. Is that possible if you're paying players and providing them insurance? They call the players current salary a "stipend" to get around it.

There are big changes coming. I'm guessing this is the end of the NCAA as it existed pre covid.
PAPoke
Buckaroo

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:45 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:23 pm Too much liability and too big of risk of forcing players to organize.

Players don't have a lot of rights. Covid is like dropping a lit cigarette in a silo full of fertilizer for the NCAA.

I want them to play, but I can understand. The rich douchebags in charge arent sacrificing their profit margin to give players medical insurance, a salary, and all the things that the players should have, but dont. The good old boys in charge arent giving up amateur status, tax exempt, or their protection from anti-trust issues. If they give the players what they deserve it opens Pandoras box for the NCAA.
Total [#]sh#t. The players are supposed to be students. They get free tuition and free room and board. The minute we or any other school starts paying players to play is the day I quit watching and never give the school another nickel. Craig Bohl makes good money but I would not call him a "rich douchebag". The MWC is not a P5 conference. If football becomes pay to play, then we become another Montana state or end up just dropping all scholarship sports. Dumbest post I've ever read.
LOL. shamateurism is absolutely ending soon. Schools will be paying players sooner than later. The University will certainly miss your contributions.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Things that will send more college kids to the hospital than Covid:

1. VD
2. Car wrecks
3. Alcohol
4. Weed
5. Bad Milk
6. Hardees
7. Occupied Cry Rooms
8. Participation trophy falling on their head
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Been liked: 16 times

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:26 pm

I think it's already heated up.

The B1G, Pac, MWC all had united groups of athletes come forward in the last 2 weeks, making demands or they won't play.

That's why they canceled the seasons, not covid.

The problem now, a national group of players has organized under the banner of #Wewanttoplay, because their seasons are being canceled.

Either way, it looks like the genie is out of the bottle for the NCAA. Players have organized, are making demands, and have an entire canceled season to figure out their next moves.

Pac12 players are demanding 50 percent of the profit from their program. MWC players want insurance and all covid medical bill covered.

The problem for the NCAA is keeping their "amateur" tag and tax exempt status. Is that possible if you're paying players and providing them insurance? They call the players current salary a "stipend" to get around it.

There are big changes coming. I'm guessing this is the end of the NCAA as it existed pre covid.
Big and pac both haven't officially cancelled their seasons yet. Some articles today saying Big is trending the other way now after Ohio States threat to play outside the conference if they cancelled.

It wouldn't surprise me if they still cancel. But boy will it suck if all the other conferences play as well as air force, while the rest of MW schools are sitting at home watching them with envy
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times

carbonpoke wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:39 pm Yes it does, in pro sports u can sign an opt out. In college sports u can't. No matter how many parents jump on board, if their kid dies from covid19, they can sue. Not the same with pro sports where u can say opt out, but don't receive money for the year. If a kid leaves, his scholly is gone. It is what it is
How many families of players who've died of influenza contracted during the season have sued their respective schools?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Feds absolving any and all liability associated with COVID would fix most of this bs. Why they haven't is beyond me.

Why call it now? Stupid move. I sure as hell hope UW didn't support this move. I thought the season would eventually be cancelled, but, damn, the MWC should have hung tight for a while to see if a workable situation developed.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Just had a really bad thought...it's just possible the Big 10 and their other P5 conferences faked out the MW into thinking they were going to cancel so the MW does and then, reverses their plans to get more $$$$$$ out of the T.V. networks.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Wyokie wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:52 pm Just had a really bad thought...it's just possible the Big 10 and their other P5 conferences faked out the MW into thinking they were going to cancel so the MW does and then, reverses their plans to get more $$$$$$ out of the T.V. networks.
Welp....that shoots down my theory...the Big 10 just canned their 2020 fall sports season. The PAC-12 will cancelled theirs within hours of this news.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

Wyokie wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:23 pm
Wyokie wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:52 pm Just had a really bad thought...it's just possible the Big 10 and their other P5 conferences faked out the MW into thinking they were going to cancel so the MW does and then, reverses their plans to get more $$$$$$ out of the T.V. networks.
Welp....that shoots down my theory...the Big 10 just canned their 2020 fall sports season. The PAC-12 will cancelled theirs within hours of this news.
Pac-12 has officially cancelled all athletic competition through 2020. Not only football but that means basketball won't start in this calendar year either.

Mountain West and Big10 haven't decided on winter sports like basketball yet.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

That's all 3 of the leagues where the players organized and made demands. They've all canceled.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:27 am Things that will send more college kids to the hospital than Covid:

1. VD
2. Car wrecks
3. Alcohol
4. Weed
5. Bad Milk
6. Hardees
7. Occupied Cry Rooms
8. Participation trophy falling on their head
Yep. 3 times as many people have died of car accidents this year in WYO than COVID.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Big ten came out saying they are going to boot schools that play outside of conference. MWC needs to take a different approach and encourage schools who can to play. The cancellation was mostly driven by the CA schools as it would be damn near impossible for them to play with CAs current restrictions. Schools like WYO USU BSU are in a better position to make it work and should be allowed to try and get games.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 am Image
This is unacceptable. The ticket office should have had a plan in place back in May...in the event the season cancels. I don't know who is in charge of the TO right now, but there isn't much to do (renewals, new tickets, etc.) at least they could have had this planned out.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:54 am Big ten came out saying they are going to boot schools that play outside of conference. MWC needs to take a different approach and encourage schools who can to play. The cancellation was mostly driven by the CA schools as it would be damn near impossible for them to play with CAs current restrictions. Schools like WYO USU BSU are in a better position to make it work and should be allowed to try and get games.
Good call - good post. :thumb:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Rumors are going around that there's a small chance there'll still be football for the conferences that have shut it down as they're waiting and observing how opening up school goes (this includes MWC). Supposedly UW had 30+ students testing positive this past weekend, but it seems that shouldn't be all the difficult to deal with. Notre Dame shut down for two weeks already, but will likely open up after that.

I'm really curious to see how this goes. Heard it on Altitude Radio that somebody in an MWC school mentioned it's possible they'll be fine with rescheduling games if teams get infected - including waiting until Spring for those that do get rescheduled.