The MWC is canceling fall sports.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:44 am Heart thing overblown?

https://www.outkick.com/university-of-m ... el-season/
Dang, you beat me to it. I am really liking that Outkick site. I generally enjoy reading Jason Whitlock's pieces even dating back to his ESPN days. Even when he communicates things I don't agree with, I can usually follow his line of thinking and it gives me something to think about.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand

six-big-ten-teams-would-play-a-10-game-season

Looks like some teams in the B$G are still trying to make a season happen.

The ramifications of Whitmer not letting Michigan play while OSU does this fall would extend beyond the sports realm. Even more so if OSU would be able to play without an apocalypse happening.

To tie this closer to home, and honestly what is the offseason without crazy pie in the sky realignment talk. What if those teams needed one extra team to make it work, and they couldn't find one. Would that not be an opportunity for the Pokes to join the big boys? :winky: B$G here we come, suck it CSU!

What can I say 2020 has taken a toll on my sanity. Ok, back a little closer to earth, say the B$G does get some teams to play this fall, does that start to change things for the MW? Would it be worthwhile for Wyoming to try and piece together a schedule of say a mixture of FBS and FCS teams to play? Or would it only be worthwhile for FCS teams. I just have my doubts we can count on California, Colorado, and New Mexico schools playing. That would leave potentially Boise St, Utah State, Air Force (U.S. Service academy so less under control of the State Government of Colorado), Nevada, UNLV, and Wyoming. That is six teams would that work? What teams could we bring in, I doubt Utah, Arizona, and Arizona State would opt to play those teams and risk the hammer from the PAC, but what harm comes from exploring? Would it be worth extending a branch to say Montana/Montana State/North Dakota State for a season?

I know this is still pie in the sky thinking, but dang it compared to covid and political talk some light pie in the sky how would we make it work talk is needed. What would you guys accept, what would you not want to see?
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

I would love to have some Cowboy football to look forward to this fall. Since I moved to Texas I don’t hunt anymore (I tried it a few times to put some venison in the freezer but it isn’t really hunting here. You sit in an elevated box and shoot one when it comes to eat the corn you put out) But I digress. If the team plays do they use a year of eligibility? Is it worth playing some meaningless games and lose a year?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

ZapPoke wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:43 pm I would love to have some Cowboy football to look forward to this fall. Since I moved to Texas I don’t hunt anymore (I tried it a few times to put some venison in the freezer but it isn’t really hunting here. You sit in an elevated box and shoot one when it comes to eat the corn you put out) But I digress. If the team plays do they use a year of eligibility? Is it worth playing some meaningless games and lose a year?
Rumor was NCAA was implying If they play 6 or more games that would count as a season.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Expat_Poke wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:35 pm six-big-ten-teams-would-play-a-10-game-season

The ramifications of Whitmer not letting Michigan play while OSU does this fall would extend beyond the sports realm. Even more so if OSU would be able to play without an apocalypse happening.

To tie this closer to home, and honestly what is the offseason without crazy pie in the sky realignment talk. What if those teams needed one extra team to make it work, and they couldn't find one. Would that not be an opportunity for the Pokes to join the big boys? :winky: B$G here we come, suck it CSU!

What can I say 2020 has taken a toll on my sanity. Ok, back a little closer to earth, say the B$G does get some teams to play this fall, does that start to change things for the MW? Would it be worthwhile for Wyoming to try and piece together a schedule of say a mixture of FBS and FCS teams to play? Or would it only be worthwhile for FCS teams. I just have my doubts we can count on California, Colorado, and New Mexico schools playing. That would leave potentially Boise St, Utah State, Air Force (U.S. Service academy so less under control of the State Government of Colorado), Nevada, UNLV, and Wyoming. That is six teams would that work? What teams could we bring in, I doubt Utah, Arizona, and Arizona State would opt to play those teams and risk the hammer from the PAC, but what harm comes from exploring? Would it be worth extending a branch to say Montana/Montana State/North Dakota State for a season?

I know this is still pie in the sky thinking, but dang it compared to covid and political talk some light pie in the sky how would we make it work talk is needed. What would you guys accept, what would you not want to see?
The exposure from playing games when most are not would be tremendous. You might be able to negotiate game to game. This was a chance for the MW to stand up while the likes of the PAC sat down. Instead, much like our governor, our conference and university leadership have no fortitude.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyoklaelk
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:53 pm
Expat_Poke wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:35 pm six-big-ten-teams-would-play-a-10-game-season

The exposure from playing games when most are not would be tremendous. You might be able to negotiate game to game. This was a chance for the MW to stand up while the likes of the PAC sat down. Instead, much like our governor, our conference and university leadership have no fortitude.

Agreed, huge opportunity this year, tv negotiations would be great to explore. Was way too early to roll over
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand

ZapPoke wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:43 pm I would love to have some Cowboy football to look forward to this fall. Since I moved to Texas I don’t hunt anymore (I tried it a few times to put some venison in the freezer but it isn’t really hunting here. You sit in an elevated box and shoot one when it comes to eat the corn you put out) But I digress. If the team plays do they use a year of eligibility? Is it worth playing some meaningless games and lose a year?
That is what I am getting at, what would be meaningless in your eyes vs not?

For me a home and home with the following is borderline

Boise St, Utah St, Air Force, Nevada, UNLV (I just have my doubts of any Colorado or New Mexico school being a remotely real possibility and California schools well I think we have as good a chance playing Ohio State as them seeing the field this fall)

This I would be be fine with
home and home featuring Boise St, Utah St, Air Force, CSU, and then some sort of UNM, Nevada, or UNLV

Definitely Worthwhile
Boise St, Utah St, CSU, Air Force, Utah, Arizona, Arizona St, Nebraska, Iowa and then some mixture of UNM, UNLV, Nevada to fill it out. This is pie in the sky, but how many "P5" schools would be needed to make it worthwhile for teams who want to play this year but are left out in the cold by their conferences? My guess too many to keep us in the loop at the same time.

I don't see any way any Washington, Oregon, or California team plays this fall, and Colorado and New Mexico schools are very unlikely. I have no clue what the likliehood is for the Nevada schools, but these are my thoughts.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

ImageImageImageImage
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

MrTitleist wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:00 pm
After reading about this guy, it sounds like he had a legit shot at winning out for starting at QB. That stinks...

Though the heart condition is not a big deal if you treat it right, it's still going to set him back majorly. No exercise for 3-6 months... and no alcohol, apparently. If I ended up with that crap, I guess I'd end up with a scarred heart in no time.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:02 pm
After reading about this guy, it sounds like he had a legit shot at winning out for starting at QB. That stinks...

Though the heart condition is not a big deal if you treat it right, it's still going to set him back majorly. No exercise for 3-6 months... and no alcohol, apparently. If I ended up with that crap, I guess I'd end up with a scarred heart in no time.
When is his funeral?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:54 am
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:02 pm

When is his funeral?
This is correct. If we are super concerned about the health of the athletes, we wouldn’t have them play football at all. Hundreds lose a season to torn ligaments and who knows what’s going on with the head trauma. A handful of heart issues from a transmissible disease isn’t a drop in the bucket. A single drunk driver killed more of our college athletes in one accident than will die from this disease. Play ball.
W-Y, Until I Die!