Spring Season: Do we get home games

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

If Spring Season is to be wrapped up by April, that means we start somewhere in Jan/Feb. Terrible times for outdoor football in Laramie. Damn near unrealistic. Do you think we have home games? If so, no fans at the IPF?

We could have lobbied this year for a weather exemption to go our own way this fall citing the dangerously cold weather in Laramie and the unfairness of not having home games. Maybe teams would have let us run our own fall schedule because they wouldn't want to come to Laramie in the winter?

I'm betting IPF with no fans.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I doubt a spring season happens. The MWC should have stuck with fall football and they will be regretting their decision if they even attempt to play in Spring. Just a side note on the IPF, from a kicker: There are no goal posts in the IPF, just a net with lines to represent the goal post spacing. I'm assuming official goal posts would need to be installed if the IPF were to be used for an actual college game.
I'm good for 3!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Cornpoke wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:09 pm I doubt a spring season happens. The MWC should have stuck with fall football and they will be regretting their decision if they even attempt to play in Spring. Just a side note on the IPF, from a kicker: There are no goal posts in the IPF, just a net with lines to represent the goal post spacing. I'm assuming official goal posts would need to be installed if the IPF were to be used for an actual college game.
Good point on IPF. Yeah, I'm with you on the spring season thing. I guess we'll see, but definitely not the best thing for us.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

This really sounds as if there is 0 appetite to try to get football going this fall.... https://themw.com/news/2020/9/8/general ... ports.aspx

Not surprising.

If B1G starts by October, that leaves us and the PAC. If by then CFB is being played with only minor hiccups (i.e. few sporadic games postponed or cancelled), the MWC decision is going to look even worse.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:04 am This really sounds as if there is 0 appetite to try to get football going this fall.... https://themw.com/news/2020/9/8/general ... ports.aspx

Not surprising.

If B1G starts by October, that leaves us and the PAC. If by then CFB is being played with only minor hiccups (i.e. few sporadic games postponed or cancelled), the MWC decision is going to look even worse.
We're so small time. It's embarrassing.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:30 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:04 am This really sounds as if there is 0 appetite to try to get football going this fall.... https://themw.com/news/2020/9/8/general ... ports.aspx

Not surprising.

We're so small time. It's embarrassing.
I suppose that is one way of looking at it. I think the PAC and B1G cancelled because they are concerned with the political "look" of playing football right now and opening more of the can of worms labelled "amateurism". By not playing ... they reinforce their commitment (as tenuous as it is) to amateurism while at the same time looking good by following the trend of bowing to safety concerns. The political leanings and dispositions of the SEC and Big12 are such that they are taking less of a risk in playing. Not only that but there is a tacit understanding that, at least in SEC country, college football is the NFL-lite.....Those programs will be just fine with a step towards professionalism.

For MWC I don't think that they share that reason. Professionalism in college football would be a disaster for the MWC. MWC institutions are also not aligned politically at all with the forces that are doing the majority of the hand-wringing. We are talking about state institutions from Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Nevada...*sigh* and California/Hawaii. The makeup of the fan-bases of the MWC definitely trend toward conservatism. So why did they cancel?...I think it came down to money...My guess is that the school presidents could put a number to the amount of money that would be lost if they cancelled...and they could not do the same to the amount that could be lost if they played (due to decreased revenue and increased liability). So they swallowed hard and went with the devil they knew. I don't really blame them for making that call. The possibility of endless liability is a lot scarier for schools like Fresno, SJSU, Wyo, CSU, etc. than it is for Alabama.

Not only that... but the MWC is not even close to being on equal footing with those programs. The budget difference is astounding. You can label it "small time" or "embarrassing" if you want to feel bad about it. I would love to see them reverse course on this but I don't think that will happen. We are too far down this river.