Eligibility Question

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

It looks like the blanket eligibility policy extends to all fall athletes even if they participate in the fall season.

If that is the case, then does this year basically not count at all (from an eligibility perspective)? Is it possible for a Freshmen to play all 8 games this year, play 4 games next year, then redshirt next year. Thus, they would have 2 years and 12 games under their belt along with another 4 years of eligibility?

I'm not sure how many would stick around for 6 years, lol, but it is crazy to think about. Will they increase the number of scholarships? Do you think Bohl and company will still plan on the kids going through a normal 4 or 5 year cycle regardless of eligibility (i.e. have them graduated and scholarship obligations fulfilled even if they have another year of eligibility)?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

From my understanding, everything in your 2nd paragraph is correct. As far as eligibility is concerned, this year doesn't exist. Whether a player opts out, plays every snap, or somewhere in between, their eligibility will be the exact same as it was back in May.

Another interesting scenario would be a player in their 6th year... they could play this year and then come back for a 7th year next year
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

That's all great, but the elephant in the room is scholarship limits and to the recruiting class of 21. What happens to them? Some analytical nerd is gonna half to science the poop out of that equation...
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:35 pm From my understanding, everything in your 2nd paragraph is correct. As far as eligibility is concerned, this year doesn't exist. Whether a player opts out, plays every snap, or somewhere in between, their eligibility will be the exact same as it was back in May.

Another interesting scenario would be a player in their 6th year... they could play this year and then come back for a 7th year next year
*cough*Trey Smith*cough*
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:12 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:35 pm From my understanding, everything in your 2nd paragraph is correct. As far as eligibility is concerned, this year doesn't exist. Whether a player opts out, plays every snap, or somewhere in between, their eligibility will be the exact same as it was back in May.

*cough*Trey Smith*cough*
Bingo...

I thought the NCAA came out and said that schools could add 25 for the class of 2021 and it wouldn't affect their scholarship limit. So basically, anyone that stays won't hurt their scholarship total.