COVID Breakout on Football Team

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Sweden also has the highest death rate per capita except the US.
ImageImageImageImage
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

MrTitleist wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:29 am Sweden also has the highest death rate per capita except the US.
Per the numbers I am seeing Sweden is lower than UK, US, Spain, Brazil, Belgium among others. Also lets keep in mind are those deaths comparing apples to apples, and lets wait and see what happens when places that locked down open back up.

Then there is that the majority of states in the U.S. (31) have a lower death rate than the national rate for France which is lower than the U.K.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

MrTitleist wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:29 am Sweden also has the highest death rate per capita except the US.
Wrong
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:11 am
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:44 pm All testing does is scare the public and hamstrings everyone’s lives. Who’s sick of this Sh#t yet?
On the contrary, testing is what is allowing us to have a football season and is how every public health expert (not people who post on message boards) says we will get out of the pandemic. Screwing up testing in the first month was the government's biggest failure of all, and it led to unnecessary deaths. I know you'll say that they were "just the sick and elderly," but they didn't have to die, and now they are.
F testing. The USA is testing more than any other country and all it has created is panic. Japan, South Koran, Europe has conducted a fraction of the tests that the USA has until recently. Take the UK for example.. they have ramped up testing recently and lo and behold they are discovering MASSIVE amounts of cases, BUT few are dying. Whatever they are testing for isn't a big deal, obviously. It's a "casedemic" Now the UK is about to go into another round of life-destroying lockdowns. Enough is enough. We need our lives back. How many people's lives have to be needlessly ruined?

What was the purpose of all this poop? "Flatten the curve". No hospital was overwhelmed in the USA. The area under the curve (deaths) will remain the same with or without "curve flattening". The restrictions are pointless if no hospital is getting overwhelmed. For most it's a cold. Isolate the old and vulnerable, let the general population, which is at no serious risk, get infected so the virus cannot sustain itself in the population , then let the old and sickly out to go about their normal lives. It was not complicated until about April of this year.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Not sure where you're getting that info. The Johns Hopkins data breaks things down pretty well.
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:17 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:44 pm All testing does is scare the public and hamstrings everyone’s lives. Who’s sick of this Sh#t yet?
On the contrary, testing is what is allowing us to have a football season and is how every public health expert (not people who post on message boards) says we will get out of the pandemic. Screwing up testing in the first month was the government's biggest failure of all, and it led to unnecessary deaths. I know you'll say that they were "just the sick and elderly," but they didn't have to die, and now they are.
F testing. The USA is testing more than any other country and all it has created is panic. Japan, South Koran, Europe has conducted a fraction of the tests that the USA has until recently. Take the UK for example.. they have ramped up testing recently and lo and behold they are discovering MASSIVE amounts of cases, BUT few are dying. Whatever they are testing for isn't a big deal, obviously. It's a "casedemic" Now the UK is about to go into another round of life-destroying lockdowns. Enough is enough. We need our lives back. How many people's lives have to be needlessly ruined?

What was the purpose of all this [#]sh#t? "Flatten the curve". No hospital was overwhelmed in the USA. The area under the curve (deaths) will remain the same with or without "curve flattening". The restrictions are pointless if no hospital is getting overwhelmed. For most it's a cold. Isolate the old and vulnerable, let the general population, which is at no serious risk, get infected so the virus cannot sustain itself in the population , then let the old and sickly out to go about their normal lives. It was not complicated until about April of this year.
Look, the virus is there whether you test for it or not. You can either use testing to understand the situation or you can stick your head in the sand and say "f testing." You have the entire medical community world wide on one side of that argument, and you on the other, so i'll go with the doctors.

If 200,000+ Americans dead isn't a big deal to you, that says a lot about you I guess. And since i know you're rolling with the "old and vulnerable" defense, consider that there are outcomes other than just living or dying. A family member of mine in her 50s was recently hospitalized with a f-word tube down her throat for 3 weeks, while the rest of her family had to wait for updates by text just to find out if she might make it through. You don't want this virus, I promise. You don't want your family to have it.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Might be worth looking at what's going on in France right now too. They opened up completely a little while ago and now their ICU is at capacity for Paris. They're shutting everything down again...

Yes, the blessing is that we now mostly know how to treat it. The mortality for those hit hard in March and April was waaaay higher than it is now. That's a good thing. But yes, there's also a reason to be careful still.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:36 pm

What was the purpose of all this [#]sh#t? "Flatten the curve". No hospital was overwhelmed in the USA. The area under the curve (deaths) will remain the same with or without "curve flattening". The restrictions are pointless if no hospital is getting overwhelmed. For most it's a cold. Isolate the old and vulnerable, let the general population, which is at no serious risk, get infected so the virus cannot sustain itself in the population , then let the old and sickly out to go about their normal lives. It was not complicated until about April of this year.
Look, the virus is there whether you test for it or not. You can either use testing to understand the situation or you can stick your head in the sand and say "f testing." You have the entire medical community world wide on one side of that argument, and you on the other, so i'll go with the doctors.

If 200,000+ Americans dead isn't a big deal to you, that says a lot about you I guess. And since i know you're rolling with the "old and vulnerable" defense, consider that there are outcomes other than just living or dying. A family member of mine in her 50s was recently hospitalized with a f-word tube down her throat for 3 weeks, while the rest of her family had to wait for updates by text just to find out if she might make it through. You don't want this virus, I promise. You don't want your family to have it.
Plus NO one really knows what the long term effects of it will be if you do get it and recover. I hate to get it, recover from it, and croak sooner then later due to the after effects years down the line.

I'm disabled since birth due to celebral palsy so I have to wear a mask to guard against this virus. I could go without a mask but the odds aren't in my favor if I don't wear one in public. And I really like to be around to see the day Wyoming football FINALLY wins a conference championship for the first time since 1988 whenever the hell that'll be :roll: !!!! Thank you very much!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

If 200,000+ Americans dead isn't a big deal to you, that says a lot about you I guess. And since i know you're rolling with the "old and vulnerable" defense, consider that there are outcomes other than just living or dying. A family member of mine in her 50s was recently hospitalized with a f##k[#] tube down her throat for 3 weeks, while the rest of her family had to wait for updates by text just to find out if she might make it through. You don't want this virus, I promise. You don't want your family to have it.
Trust me (I know), doctors are just about as varied on their opinion of this as we on this board are. There are some who think we need more shutdowns, some who just think that we need to wear masks without widespread lockdowns, and some who think we can open things up without restriction. Almost all think that schools should be opened up and that school shutdowns hurt kids badly.

Its just that the ones you hear opinions from are the loud ones, mostly epidemiologists, who have a fairly narrow area of expertise when it comes to doctors (those of them that are MDs/DOs and not just MPHs) as a whole. And who can blame them? Their training is based on the 100,000 ft view without considering individual people.

And your assertion to consider that there are other outcomes than just living or dying goes the other way too. Many people have warned that the response to COVID will almost certainly kill more people than the virus. This is an article that is from the UN from 6 months ago, but there are many more recent ones.
https://unglobalcompact.org/take-action ... -the-virus

There are so many seen and unseen consequences to shutting down the US economy, and unfortunately it affects third world countries much more than it does us in our bubble here. Maybe bleeding heart libs should take their own advice and start being "good global citizens."
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

'PokeForLife wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:58 pm

If 200,000+ Americans dead isn't a big deal to you, that says a lot about you I guess. And since i know you're rolling with the "old and vulnerable" defense, consider that there are outcomes other than just living or dying. A family member of mine in her 50s was recently hospitalized with a f##k[#] tube down her throat for 3 weeks, while the rest of her family had to wait for updates by text just to find out if she might make it through. You don't want this virus, I promise. You don't want your family to have it.
Trust me (I know), doctors are just about as varied on their opinion of this as we on this board are. There are some who think we need more shutdowns, some who just think that we need to wear masks without widespread lockdowns, and some who think we can open things up without restriction. Almost all think that schools should be opened up and that school shutdowns hurt kids badly.

Its just that the ones you hear opinions from are the loud ones, mostly epidemiologists, who have a fairly narrow area of expertise when it comes to doctors (those of them that are MDs/DOs and not just MPHs) as a whole. And who can blame them? Their training is based on the 100,000 ft view without considering individual people.

And your assertion to consider that there are other outcomes than just living or dying goes the other way too. Many people have warned that the response to COVID will almost certainly kill more people than the virus. This is an article that is from the UN from 6 months ago, but there are many more recent ones.

There are so many seen and unseen consequences to shutting down the US economy, and unfortunately it affects third world countries much more than it does us in our bubble here. Maybe bleeding heart libs should take their own advice and start being "good global citizens."
I never said anything about lockdowns, and I understand the varied opinion on them as well as their serious consequences. I too think we should open the schools and am against the idea of shutting down places where the virus is under control. What I was responding to is the idea that we would be better off doing no testing and going at this with our heads in the sand, which is completely ludicrous and not supported by any serious person who knows what they are talking about. Again as others have said, the anti-lockdown, personal responsibility crowd also seem to be against the steps that give us a better (but not perfect) chance of safely opening up more and avoiding a second lockdown. Mostly that is the case with masks and not gathering in crowds, but apparently on this site, also testing — again completely ridiculous.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

How many people do you suppose die each year in the USA? It's like 3 million. COVID is picking off the old and sick that other sicknesses and illnesses would have, including flu. 200k old, sick people dying (many of which would have died this year anyway) just isn't enough to seriously mess up, or even ruin millions and millions of lives. How many people missed cancer treatments because of this virus? How many people didn't get a cancer or other diagnosis in a timely manner where getting early treatment is critical? How many other medical treatments and surgeries were postponed. How many people's businesses are shuttered? How much has the national debt grown? How many people have starved to death in countries that depend on making poop that we here in the USA consume? 10% economic contraction is MASSIVE! This is going to have devastating effects on the global community including people starving to death. What about the high school seniors that got screwed over and didn't get to have a normal prom, graduation, high school sports. What about the cancelled recital, concerts, speeches, parties, weddings, first jobs, vacations, funerals, missing their loved one take their last breaths, etc.. Life is for living, not sitting in a basement staring at a computer. People are NEVER going those things back. What about the kids that went hungry because they didn't get school lunch? What about the kids that got the deed abused or beaten because they were locked down with abusive people? What about those that committed suicide for isolation that because of lockdown? Sue me, but a lot of people don't think that stopping the world for a relatively benign virus, and doing a sinister experiment with the world was the best course of action.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 am
'PokeForLife wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:58 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:44 pm
Look, the virus is there whether you test for it or not.
Many people have warned that the response to COVID will almost certainly kill more people than the virus.

I never said anything about lockdowns, and I understand the varied opinion on them as well as their serious consequences. I too think we should open the schools and am against the idea of shutting down places where the virus is under control. What I was responding to is the idea that we would be better off doing no testing and going at this with our heads in the sand, which is completely ludicrous and not supported by any serious person who knows what they are talking about. Again as others have said, the anti-lockdown, personal responsibility crowd also seem to be against the steps that give us a better (but not perfect) chance of safely opening up more and avoiding a second lockdown. Mostly that is the case with masks and not gathering in crowds, but apparently on this site, also testing — again completely ridiculous.
The point for or against testing is really the same point as lockdowns, masks, and the whole response to COVID.
The point people are trying to make is this -- The virus is there whether you test for it or not. Its going to do what its going to do. We can let it flame out, or we can prolong this thing for as long as possible. When we have widespread testing, it makes people feel like they have to shutdown. When everything shuts down, does it really save lives? No, because having 100% of people quarantine for two weeks is completely incompatible with the way life is. Therefore, it just kicks the can down the road. All the same deaths in the end, but way more deaths due to economic shutdown. Oh, wait, maybe a few less COVID deaths because some of the people who would have died of COVID had they gotten it will die of their NYHA class IV heart failure given the two months of covid freedom.
Anyway, thats the thought process. Its not all that illogical. Just that lockdowns and testing are not mutually exclusive.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 am
Until they put biological relevance to cycle number on the PCR test, COVID testing is suspect. 90% of positive cases at the last cycle!!!??? For the record, I've shared that article with several MDs and a couple virologists. All are floored that this isn't gaining attention.

Are asymptomatic carriers really carriers or just a victim of a positive test at 37 or 40 cycles? I personally know 2 instances of people testing positive and then negative within 2 days. Reason? Because they are calling 37 or 40 cycles positive which is nearly 100% unreliable or biologically irrelevant at best.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:16 am

How many people do you suppose die each year in the USA? It's like 3 million. COVID is picking off the old and sick that other sicknesses and illnesses would have, including flu. 200k old, sick people dying (many of which would have died this year anyway) just isn't enough to seriously mess up, or even ruin millions and millions of lives. How many people missed cancer treatments because of this virus? How many people didn't get a cancer or other diagnosis in a timely manner where getting early treatment is critical? How many other medical treatments and surgeries were postponed. How many people's businesses are shuttered? How much has the national debt grown? How many people have starved to death in countries that depend on making Sh#t that we here in the USA consume? 10% economic contraction is MASSIVE! This is going to have devastating effects on the global community including people starving to death. What about the high school seniors that got screwed over and didn't get to have a normal prom, graduation, high school sports. What about the cancelled recital, concerts, speeches, parties, weddings, first jobs, vacations, funerals, missing their loved one take their last breaths, etc.. Life is for living, not sitting in a basement staring at a computer. People are NEVER going those things back. What about the kids that went hungry because they didn't get school lunch? What about the kids that got the deed abused or beaten because they were locked down with abusive people? What about those that committed suicide for isolation that because of lockdown? Sue me, but a lot of people don't think that stopping the world for a relatively benign virus, and doing a sinister experiment with the world was the best course of action.
No one here is advocating for or wanting a shutdown. We are all literally saying we want things to open back up, but guidelines need to be followed in order for that to happen.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:49 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:16 am

How many people do you suppose die each year in the USA? It's like 3 million. COVID is picking off the old and sick that other sicknesses and illnesses would have, including flu. 200k old, sick people dying (many of which would have died this year anyway) just isn't enough to seriously mess up, or even ruin millions and millions of lives. How many people missed cancer treatments because of this virus? How many people didn't get a cancer or other diagnosis in a timely manner where getting early treatment is critical? How many other medical treatments and surgeries were postponed. How many people's businesses are shuttered? How much has the national debt grown? How many people have starved to death in countries that depend on making Sh#t that we here in the USA consume? 10% economic contraction is MASSIVE! This is going to have devastating effects on the global community including people starving to death. What about the high school seniors that got screwed over and didn't get to have a normal prom, graduation, high school sports. What about the cancelled recital, concerts, speeches, parties, weddings, first jobs, vacations, funerals, missing their loved one take their last breaths, etc.. Life is for living, not sitting in a basement staring at a computer. People are NEVER going those things back. What about the kids that went hungry because they didn't get school lunch? What about the kids that got the deed abused or beaten because they were locked down with abusive people? What about those that committed suicide for isolation that because of lockdown? Sue me, but a lot of people don't think that stopping the world for a relatively benign virus, and doing a sinister experiment with the world was the best course of action.
No one here is advocating for or wanting a shutdown. We are all literally saying we want things to open back up, but guidelines need to be followed in order for that to happen.
And my point is it's all BS, and we don't need restrictions or guidelines.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

It’s obvious from the schools in Wyoming. We’re wearing masks and following protocols is the only logical explanation for why we’re not stacking bodies in the streets. Any deviation from the set protocols will kill all the students and your grandma. I’ve already buried 9 grandmas because the schools opened too soon. It’s the only reason we’re alive right now. We should always shut down the economy for deaths. We do it for the flu. Wait, what? The Nfl coaches wearing masks while the players do not is also saving millions of lives. The teams should most definitely forfeit if the coach doesn’t where a mask.

We need to continue to shoot our own feet economically especially for positive cases that are resulting in no illness. My god, if they don’t know they’re sick, they could possibly give it to other people who won’t get sick either. The number of positive cases will explode! Scary oooooh. Nothing scarier than so many people testing positive and not being sick. It may cause a heart condition! Who knows the long term affects of not getting sick?
W-Y, Until I Die!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:00 pm It’s obvious from the schools in Wyoming. We’re wearing masks and following protocols is the only logical explanation for why we’re not stacking bodies in the streets. Any deviation from the set protocols will kill all the students and your grandma. I’ve already buried 9 grandmas because the schools opened too soon. It’s the only reason we’re alive right now. We should always shut down the economy for deaths. We do it for the flu. Wait, what? The Nfl coaches wearing masks while the players do not is also saving millions of lives. The teams should most definitely forfeit if the coach doesn’t where a mask.

We need to continue to shoot our own feet economically especially for positive cases that are resulting in no illness. My god, if they don’t know they’re sick, they could possibly give it to other people who won’t get sick either. The number of positive cases will explode! Scary oooooh. Nothing scarier than so many people testing positive and not being sick. It may cause a heart condition! Who knows the long term affects of not getting sick?
I'll pray for the health of you and your family
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:00 pm It’s obvious from the schools in Wyoming. We’re wearing masks and following protocols is the only logical explanation for why we’re not stacking bodies in the streets. Any deviation from the set protocols will kill all the students and your grandma. I’ve already buried 9 grandmas because the schools opened too soon. It’s the only reason we’re alive right now. We should always shut down the economy for deaths. We do it for the flu. Wait, what? The Nfl coaches wearing masks while the players do not is also saving millions of lives. The teams should most definitely forfeit if the coach doesn’t where a mask.

It brightens my day when you share your thoughts on Covid
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:06 pm

It brightens my day when you share your thoughts on Covid
Thanks.

I’m not saying when all this first hit I wasn’t worried and I get the initial panic. However, swine flu was really spooky too, no shutdowns. The initial SARS as well, no shutdowns. It became clear right away that healthy people weren’t dying in droves. We should have reversed right away, but fear adult tv gets clicks and as you can see, there’s lemmings here that spoon up the poop by the gallon. This is suppose to be a free society. Stay home if you’re scared. If players are too scared of getting the cold, they can quit football and go home and sit in a bubble for the rest of their lives. That’s their choice. No masks, full capacity games.
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:13 pm

I'll pray for the health of you and your family
No need. Since school opened up, I’ve had to bury dozens of my kids. We learned that masks save lives and now the rest of my offspring have been spared. Truly remarkable.
W-Y, Until I Die!