In case anyone forgot

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Vigen sucks. This program will never take the next step til he’s gone
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Vigen has no concept of "taking a shot". Instead we are going to run into 10-in-the-box and blame it on execution.
nashvillepoke
Ranch Hand

PokeTransplant wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:37 pm Vigen has no concept of "taking a shot". Instead we are going to run into 10-in-the-box and blame it on execution.
The defense will get the blame for not stopping the other team, even though they have been on the field for 3/4 of the game.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Are we sure that the conservative nature of the offense that we all hate is being directed by Vigen??? What is the evidence that Bohl is a personnel change away from becoming the new Mike Leach? Unless I'm missing something, it seems just as likely that we would have the same cruddy offensive output as long as Bohl's philosophy is what it is, and he wears the head coach hat. By all accounts...Vigen and Bohl are good buddies but only one of them is truly in charge. Is it possible that Vigen would be open to "opening" things up, but Bohl is not for it? I'm just asking.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

307bball wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:21 pm Are we sure that the conservative nature of the offense that we all hate is being directed by Vigen??? What is the evidence that Bohl is a personnel change away from becoming the new Mike Leach? Unless I'm missing something, it seems just as likely that we would have the same cruddy offensive output as long as Bohl's philosophy is what it is, and he wears the head coach hat. By all accounts...Vigen and Bohl are good buddies but only one of them is truly in charge. Is it possible that Vigen would be open to "opening" things up, but Bohl is not for it? I'm just asking.
I'm of the same opinion. If Bohl wanted a more wide open offense, we'd see it. Bohl will never be accused of being an offensive guru like Steve Spurrier. 3 yards and a cloud of dust is more to his thinking. And frankly, our highly praised offensive line was hardly dominant last night. Except for 1 amazing year when Josh was a sophomore, Bohl's offense has been predictable and largely unproductive in the passing game ( and the running game, for that matter).
307bball
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:53 pm
307bball wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:21 pm Are we sure that the conservative nature of the offense that we all hate is being directed by Vigen??? What is the evidence that Bohl is a personnel change away from becoming the new Mike Leach? Unless I'm missing something, it seems just as likely that we would have the same cruddy offensive output as long as Bohl's philosophy is what it is, and he wears the head coach hat. By all accounts...Vigen and Bohl are good buddies but only one of them is truly in charge. Is it possible that Vigen would be open to "opening" things up, but Bohl is not for it? I'm just asking.
I'm of the same opinion. If Bohl wanted a more wide open offense, we'd see it. Bohl will never be accused of being an offensive guru like Steve Spurrier. 3 yards and a cloud of dust is more to his thinking. And frankly, our highly praised offensive line was hardly dominant last night. Except for 1 amazing year when Josh was a sophomore, Bohl's offense has been predictable and largely unproductive in the passing game ( and the running game, for that matter).
Yeah...at a certain point...when is this just "Bohl's team"? Offense included. I mean...after suffering through the first 15 years of the 2000's I'm greatful that Cowboy footbal has made the move from low mediocrity to upper mediocrity but what about the next step?

*edit* Don't get me wrong ... the next step is anything but trivial. Every college football team is trying to make it and largely failing.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

What brought hope, for me anyway, were numerous comments since the bowl game stating that Bohl was pushing for more offensive production and a more effective passing game. That would take a significant change in play calling to achieve. Maybe it's Bohl's system, maybe is a pathetic excuse of play calling by Vigen.

- When opponents have 10 guys within 5-7 yards of the LOS, why the hell do we throw short routes that are no different than a run? To have an effective offense you have to stretch out the D. If our passing game is essentially a glorified run game, why even try?

-It's obvious we have the ability to stretch the field, hence the big comeback on Saturday. However, the instant we got back square with Nevada (both in the 4th and OT), we immediately went back to the game plan that didn't work for the first 3 quarters.

-Vigen continues to operate a system that utilizes fakes and PA. What percentage of plays have a jet sweep motion? My guess is somewhere around 25-40%. However, not ONCE did he hand off to the jet man. It's absurd, and does nothing to the D when that action isn't utilized every now and again.

-If the offensive system essentially takes half of your offense to be NFL caliber, then you need to change your system. It's a joke. Bohl's philosophy is ball control and TOP. It doesn't work when your 1 of 8 (not sure what the final number was) on 3rd down, and you have barely 100 yards in the first half. Supposedly Nevada's D is their weakness, and we should have been able to exploit them; for 3+ quarters we we're dominated by them. TOP was 34:58 for Nevada and 25:02 for our vaunted ball-control O. That's against a Air Raid offense that is predicated on high-tempo and quick strikes.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Been liked: 16 times

It would be nice in a press conference if anyone would actually ask the direct question "why on the first play of overtime did we go back to an I-formation with a run up the middle, when it hadn't worked all game?" And try to get an actual answer of did they see something in the defense that made them think this would work, or if the answer is "well this is our philosophy to run from the I-formation first and foremost in any game in any situation, and in ot we are always going to go with our base philosophy".

Because other than the answer that this is their base philosophy, I don't see why they would go back to that play call in such a critical situation
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Agree with most of the above... Just thought I was missing something as it pertains to the hate towards Vigen while Bohl escapes judgement. As I asked previously, is there definitive proof that Vigen has no limitations on how he calls the offense? If there is not, then I would default to blaming Bohl.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I think my biggest concern with the offense is they play like they are more scared to make a mistake or scared to not take time off the clock than they are of 3 and outs. When down significantly and "nothing to lose", the offense actually performs quite a bit better. Once the game is back within reach, it freezes again. The offense is not capable of overcoming adversity (2 punts pinning them deep). Such a weird thing. When the game is close, it really feels like "oh crap, the offense has to go back out. wish we didn't have to play this side of the ball". When not playing to try to control clock, it loosens up and feels like "hey, we gotta attack, get 1st downs, and score points".

It seems like the players are good enough, the scheme can be good enough, etc. but through most of the games, it is as dysfunctional of an offense as I've seen at WYO.

I think the conservative offense appears more like we're scared to play offense. 3rd and over 5 seems damn near insurmountable and the offense plays like it--avoid 3rd and long at all cost (even if it means 3 and out).

Weird.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I’m hoping that the first half can be chalked up to losing the starting QB on the first series and levi not quite being ready. I’m sure Sean received most of the reps and we gameplanned around him. There is something called momentum and we lost it all. That being said, I too agree that it was odd that Vigen went back to conservative calling after we squared up. Let’s also not forget that we probably win this game if crow doesn’t f-word up two straight punts.

For the most part I agree with you all but there’s also someone that argued against qb sneaking out of your own endzone. Who was that clown? That’s probably the worst take I’ve ever read on this board and we’ve had Dino, beaver poke and that East popcorn state person.

Here’s hoping we keep throwing like we did in the second half
W-Y, Until I Die!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

I think what happened honestly is that Chambers went down the first series and it was a shock to everyone on the team. Kind of like a guy punch. Then Levi has to go in a lot earlier than expected and also had to realize it was his game now and he was playing the whole thing. So it took him a couple of quarters to settle down. I commented during the game that Levi seemed hesitant on his decision making and wasn’t getting rid of the ball soon enough. I think that made Vigen and Bohl Hesitant to call a lot down the field. Once Levi hit a couple they seems to open it up more and Levi seemed more comfortable and the offense started rolling.

We basically scored 34 points in just over one quarter. Imagine if we didn’t get the gut punch at the beginning and everyone having to reset their minds and get back into it. We probably could have scored over 50.

I imagine we will see a lot better offense for The whole game this week rather than just in the 4th quarter.

With that said I am not sure why Bohl and Vigen decided to run on first and 2nd down in OT. I can understand maybe a run on first down at the most but then you have to start throwing on 2nd down after they stuffed you on first down.

There were a couple plays in the 4th quarter that probably cost us the game in regulation. If Levi doesn’t throw that interception inside our own 10 yard line they probably don’t score and we go down and kick a field goal and win. The defense stopped Nevada and made them kick a field goal there.

Then we wouldn’t have to have this conversation this week and we could wait for another week.

I do think Bohl is the final say on the play calling though. He knows what is being called and can override it anytime he wants.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

It's possible to have a conservative pro-style offense without running it inbetween the guard and center literally 60% of the time. Vigen and Bohl are retarded. How easy would it be to defend us? Just put 8 guys really, really close to the LOS in between the tackles.

Why not utilize pitches, tosses and sweeps to get outside the tackles???? That would make too much sense. And, I bet, the run that goes in between the C and G would open up. What about using the TEs in the middle of the field?
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

307bball wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:47 pm Agree with most of the above... Just thought I was missing something as it pertains to the hate towards Vigen while Bohl escapes judgement. As I asked previously, is there definitive proof that Vigen has no limitations on how he calls the offense? If there is not, then I would default to blaming Bohl.
I can only speak for me specifically, but Bohl definitely deserves blame. However, overall he's brought stability and talent into the program that we haven't had in a very long time. We are producing NFL talent, and we're almost always competitive. He's definitely built this program up, and I don't want to lose him.

However, I also believe Vigen is what's hamstringing him from taking this program to the next level. Bohl may have a philosophy, but I feel like you can operate in that box and be a more strategic in how you call plays. Like what was mentioned above, why did we not call a single sweep, pitch, etc? Not only does the defense know we're going to run, they also know that it'll likely be inside the tackles so all 11 men can crash.

I realize that Vigen is his right-hand man, and he's next in line. But what if we're in a MBB scenario? The program is brought back from the dead, just to be handed off to someone that immediately wrecks it
Last edited by PokeNer on Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:40 pm

We basically scored 34 points in just over one quarter. Imagine if we didn’t get the gut punch at the beginning and everyone having to reset their minds and get back into it. We probably could have scored over 50.
We didn't see a lot of running it up the middle during that period of the game when we were actually scoring points, did we? What is so seductive about running it up the middle to these coaches?
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:29 pm

We didn't see a lot of running it up the middle during that period of the game when we were actually scoring points, did we? What is so seductive about running it up the middle to these coaches?
Boring football or basketball and a win is ok. Boring of either and a loss hurts. First half was atrocious, glad we played to win in the second half. There is definitely talent on this team, just have to have the “correct” plays called. On D, can’t just sit back and rush 4 or 5 and drop back and expect them, with their good receivers not to tear us apart. Gotta bring some pressure
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Vt poke wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:36 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:29 pm

Boring football or basketball and a win is ok. Boring of either and a loss hurts. First half was atrocious, glad we played to win in the second half. There is definitely talent on this team, just have to have the “correct” plays called. On D, can’t just sit back and rush 4 or 5 and drop back and expect them, with their good receivers not to tear us apart. Gotta bring some pressure
Agree about binging the pressure. Us blitzing correlated well with them not getting first downs. Coaches on boths sides f the ball need to grow a pair and think outside the box going forward.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

PokeNer wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:23 pm
307bball wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:47 pm Agree with most of the above... Just thought I was missing something as it pertains to the hate towards Vigen while Bohl escapes judgement. As I asked previously, is there definitive proof that Vigen has no limitations on how he calls the offense? If there is not, then I would default to blaming Bohl.
I can't speak for me specifically, but Bohl definitely deserves blame. However, overall he's brought stability and talent into the program that we haven't had in a very long time. We are producing NFL talent, and we're almost always competitive. He's definitely built this program up, and I don't want to lose him.

However, I also believe Vigen is what's hamstringing him from taking this program to the next level. Bohl may have a philosophy, but I feel like you can operate in that box and be a more strategic in how you call plays. Like what was mentioned above, why did we not call a single sweep, pitch, etc? Not only does the defense know we're going to run, they also know that it'll likely be inside the tackles so all 11 men can crash.

I realize that Vigen is his right-hand man, and he's next in line. But what if we're in a MBB scenario? The program is brought back from the dead, just to be handed off to someone that immediately wrecks it
Bohl's not a dumb guy. At what point does he realize that he loses defensive coordinators to other programs but Vigen is still here? I just can't imagine that defensive coordinators around the league lose sleep wondering what kind of game plan is coming their way. It basically hasn't changed in 7 years.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:42 pm
Agree about binging the pressure. Us blitzing correlated well with them not getting first downs. Coaches on boths sides f the ball need to grow a pair and think outside the box going forward.
Also agree, except when they dialed up that stupid wr screen :tickedoff:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Interesting reading all of the takes on this thread...Seems like a consensus would be that, overall, the Vigen/Bohl combo will forever be limited by the inability to produce offensive consistency. This is to say that the duo is entangled to the point that they probably are not going to be seperated and to point fingers at Vigen is ultimately an indictment of Bohl himself since he is either:

A: The one directing the conservative nature of the offense
B: he has been hoodwinked by Vigen and won't part with him.

No matter how you slice it ... it's time to part w/Bohl right?