Wyoming at CSU game thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

307bball wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:45 pm Look... Is obvious the passing game is crap. Levi has some tools but he's learning on the job. If I had any confidence that these guys could pitch and catch id be calling for passing every down. Our options are:
1. Win or lose trying to run the ball.
2. Lose the game trying to throw it around.
Out of 7 years, has the passing game been not crap? Maybe 1?

You are exactly right. The offense is to dysfunctional to pass.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Offline. Hope Pokes pull it out. Have good night all.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:49 pm
307bball wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:45 pm Look... Is obvious the passing game is crap. Levi has some tools but he's learning on the job. If I had any confidence that these guys could pitch and catch id be calling for passing every down. Our options are:
1. Win or lose trying to run the ball.
2. Lose the game trying to throw it around.
Out of 7 years, has the passing game been not crap? Maybe 1?

You are exactly right. The offense is to dysfunctional to pass.
I'd just like to be successful... If I had any confidence that we had a successful passing attack under wraps I would be leading the call to pass more....
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Damnnnnit
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Uggh.. Why does our center snap it so high??? I don't think Levi was supposed to keep that one.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

307bball wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:48 pm
WyomingAgJ wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:39 pm
307bball wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:37 pm
WyomingAgJ wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:30 pm
307bball wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:20 pm
WyomingAgJ wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:15 pm
laxwyo wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:11 pm Play action 1st down and a sack. You like that one?
Of course no one likes that, but it's not that different then all the runs on first down in the first quarter that lost 2 and 4 yards. At least we are mixing it up a little more now.

The trade off question is, did you prefer our pass plays we have had that went 30+ yards, or would you have rather we had 2 yard runs on those plays instead?
That is not the trade off question...comparing failed plays against successful plays is just cherry-picking. Wyoming will either fail or succeed with the style they are trying to perfect. We failed a that with Koenning, Glenn, and DC...We have had more success with Bohl-ball but they are definitely not impressing me tonight.
Is cherry picking the sack on a pass play, while ignoring other successful pass plays, not exactly the same thing?

I argue we are moving the ball better now because we started mixing it up. Calling a run play every first down for most of the first half is predictable. Mixing up runs and passes on first downs brings more success to both.
Would you rather Levi throw a pick six or lose a fumble deep in our own territory? ...

We were "mixing it up" the entire first half while turning the ball over and killing ourselves with penalties
You mean when it was third and long because of two unsuccessful run plays? Again cherry picking plays. When you don't mix up calls and everyone knows when it will be a run or pass it is very easy to defend.

If you consider the first half mixing it up, does that mean you would prefer to have thrown no passes and be even less diverse in our play calls?
You obviously feel like this group should be relying more on the passing game...I actually kind of agree.... But if we pull this game out (unlikely) and have a successful season... It will be because we dominate the LOS and grind teams down
Actually I simply wish we would not be predictable in play calling. You call the passing game crap in the other post. I disagree and think it is "ok" and should not be abandoned. I'll take option 3 of win or lose by mixing up the calls to not be predictable through the 4th quarter. In mixing it up it would be nice to maybe see a run to the outside vs up the middle, or how about a screen pass, two things we never see.

At end of 3rd quarter Levi is 12 of 20 on passing for 230 yards averaging 8.5 yards a catch. I think that is at least "ok" to not totally abandon it. We have 40 rushes for 145 yards. A total of 375 yards to csu 279.
Last edited by WyomingAgJ on Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Geez... The Rams are so all over this game
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

No one saw that run up the middle coming. I’ve never understood running it out of the shotgun in short yardage situations
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

You smooth brains will cry on that playcall but Bible gets wrecked on that play. Must have injury on OL. Didn’t they say Logan had an illness ?
W-Y, Until I Die!
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Levi has been throwing the ball well today. Some drops and a throw he was trying to force through a tight window. Other than those, I feel way more confident with our passing game than previous years. Haven't seen eberhardt in the second half, but he had a fantastic first half.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

WyomingAgJ wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:54 pm
307bball wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:48 pm
WyomingAgJ wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:39 pm
307bball wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:37 pm
WyomingAgJ wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:30 pm
307bball wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:20 pm
WyomingAgJ wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:15 pm
laxwyo wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:11 pm Play action 1st down and a sack. You like that one?
Of course no one likes that, but it's not that different then all the runs on first down in the first quarter that lost 2 and 4 yards. At least we are mixing it up a little more now.

The trade off question is, did you prefer our pass plays we have had that went 30+ yards, or would you have rather we had 2 yard runs on those plays instead?
That is not the trade off question...comparing failed plays against successful plays is just cherry-picking. Wyoming will either fail or succeed with the style they are trying to perfect. We failed a that with Koenning, Glenn, and DC...We have had more success with Bohl-ball but they are definitely not impressing me tonight.
Is cherry picking the sack on a pass play, while ignoring other successful pass plays, not exactly the same thing?

I argue we are moving the ball better now because we started mixing it up. Calling a run play every first down for most of the first half is predictable. Mixing up runs and passes on first downs brings more success to both.
Would you rather Levi throw a pick six or lose a fumble deep in our own territory? ...

We were "mixing it up" the entire first half while turning the ball over and killing ourselves with penalties
You mean when it was third and long because of two unsuccessful run plays? Again cherry picking plays. When you don't mix up calls and everyone knows when it will be a run or pass it is very easy to defend.

If you consider the first half mixing it up, does that mean you would prefer to have thrown no passes and be even less diverse in our play calls?
You obviously feel like this group should be relying more on the passing game...I actually kind of agree.... But if we pull this game out (unlikely) and have a successful season... It will be because we dominate the LOS and grind teams down
Actually I simply wish we would not be predictable in play calling. You call the passing game crap in the other post. I disagree and think it is "ok" and should not be abandoned. I'll take option 3 of win or lose by mixing up the calls to not be predictable through the 4th quarter.

At end of 3rd quarter Levi is 12 of 20 on passing for 230 yards averaging 8.5 yards a catch. I think that is at least "ok" to not totally abandon it. We have 40 rushes for 145 yards. A total of 375 yards to csu 279.
Exactly! Have some balance and keep them guessing! That is what we all want!

Also.. Add in the lost fumble and the pick six... Along with inexplicable drops, poor protection on crucial downs... I'll stand by calling this passing attack crappy.... Every time Levi drops back it's a bit of an adventure tonight.... To be fair.. It's unlikely that we would have had success running in those situations either.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Come on Levi!.. Prove me wrong!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Routes over the middle are very, very good
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

'PokeForLife wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:01 pm Levi has been throwing the ball well today. Some drops and a throw he was trying to force through a tight window. Other than those, I feel way more confident with our passing game than previous years. Haven't seen eberhardt in the second half, but he had a fantastic first half.
Feel like he’s just a tad off from hitting receivers in stride for big TDs instead of big gainers
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 43 times

I rarely watch on tv, turned it on and saw the pick 6 and the fumble, man, i kinda had a feeling they'd come out flat...(so my fault, lol)..why do we run the pistol so much??? Still 9:28 left we'll see
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

TD WILLIAMS!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 43 times

Much needed TD with 8:18 left, how bad do they want it?????
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

laxwyo wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:05 pm
'PokeForLife wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:01 pm Levi has been throwing the ball well today. Some drops and a throw he was trying to force through a tight window. Other than those, I feel way more confident with our passing game than previous years. Haven't seen eberhardt in the second half, but he had a fantastic first half.
Feel like he’s just a tad off from hitting receivers in stride for big TDs instead of big gainers
How long has it been since we've had better passing? JA junior year? And how many years before that? This is close to the best we've had in a decade.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

To! Let’s go
Last edited by LanderPoke on Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:05 pm
Agreed...I feel like he is an off-season of reps away from hitting those big.