Elephant in the room...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Expat_Poke wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:29 pm Here is a list of state and local expenditures per capita in the Rocky Mountain/Plains Region FY2017 (Most current I could quickly find)

Wyoming - $15,393
North Dakota - $12,842
Nebraska - $9,204
Montana - $8,967
Colorado - $8,960
Utah - $8,379
South Dakota - $8,091
Idaho - $6,766

source: https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/statist ... res-capita

Two of these are not like the others. Yes we are a large unpopulated state but so is SD and MT to a large degree.

If coal, natural gas, and oil are dying we are fooling ourselves to think we can operate a state government at a budget per capita 183% of the average of the states bordering Wyoming. If coal, natural gas, and oil are dying that means we better brace ourselves and look at the biggest costs and that is education and healthcare/insurance costs (largely tied to education as that industry has the biggest number of government employees). Outside of mineral extraction taxes you are not going to make up that nearly $7000 more per capita that Wyoming spends compared to our bordering states. If you want to maintain that level of state and local spending that is going to mean trying to come up with something similar to minerals severance and leasing taxes. Maybe some outside the box ideas making personal information online and placing a severance tax on mining that, higher taxes on all energy generated in the state (wind, hydro, solar). In short taxes on individual and corporate incomes isn't going to make up that shortfall. They may be necessary to keep pace with our bordering states, but it won't maintain our current level of state and local government spending.

Of course I am less concerned with the state budget than me and my neighbors ability to put food on the plate. That is why attracting different industries to Wyoming helps out. If we have a viable private economy the state government can be worked out. It may hurt some, but it is workable. Yes I know the budget and ability to put food on the plate are tied, but my main point is not that I am not concerned about the state budget rather I am more concerned about how do we create a strong economy here in Wyoming so that we can live a decent living where we want to live.

A couple of things that should be done tomorrow in my opinion. Raise Wyoming's IFTA rate. No tolls are needed and no tax paid at the pump. The vast majority of WYDOT spending is on keeping I-80 in shape and that is hard to do with all the trucking running on it. It only makes sense that those benefitting from that trucking pay for it, and they will as the trucks pass that tax cost onto the consumers. I don't buy that truckers will choose I70 with Denver and Eisenhower tunnel in large enough numbers. If the state is concerned about this hurting our local ranchers and farmers, let the state pass an exemption of agricultural vehicles. Raise the tax on electricity generated by wind turbines. We need someone to calculate the direct taxes generated by coal per unit energy and whatever that is slap it on those turbines.
Last edited by ZapPoke on Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

What sense does implementing a tax that will drive people out? If I’m going to get taxed like other places, I might as well move out. There would be almost 0 reason to stay

The point is, there either needs to be more people to tax or you take more from those that are here and cutting spending. Having industry or promoting people to stay and buy poop is about all there is. If there’s roadblocks as WyoVanian has said, then we should have addressed them while things were good and not look to diversify once our ass is in trouble
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:16 am
laxwyo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:26 pm Anyone advocating for a state income tax is a moron.

Interstate tolls should start tomorrow. I80 is rutted out after one summer after its been resurfaced. If I have to pay $10 just for using the interstate to the airport in Denver, those piss bottle monkeys and out of staters can pay some for crossing our whole state. Other things wyovanian mentioned are also good ideas.

We should be calling every firearm/ammunition company that lives in a liberal sh#t[#] and encourage them to relocate to the new firearm hub of the US.

There was talk of a rare earth mineral deposit over here by RS but haven’t heard much lately. Couldn’t find anything online for it either. Lithium is definitely needed for the future.

Doesn’t matter anyway, Gordon is a dork and Biden will put the nail in the coffin for tons of us after some kind of authoritarian 6 week national lockdown.
How does inviting every firearm company to the state raise revenues in any meaningful way? We don’t have a corporate income tax. I’m all for bringing in business but it really just brings in jobs and perhaps moderate increases in sales tax revenues. Sales tax revenues are dwarfed by mineral revenues.

I’m afraid we will see steep property tax increases. I hate income taxes just as much as the next person, but I’d personally prefer an income tax over steep property tax increases.

Rare earths and lithium are unlikely to bring in any meaningful revenue anytime soon. Because of labor prices in China, rare earth business models of any substantial scale don’t work in the US currently. Lithium in Wyoming is largely brine extraction in deep formations - - it probably only works economically currently if you can produce another usable product simultaneously.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

laxwyo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:53 pm What sense does implementing a tax that will drive people out? If I’m going to get taxed like other places, I might as well move out. There would be almost 0 reason to stay

The point is, there either needs to be more people to tax or you take more from those that are here and cutting spending. Having industry or promoting people to stay and buy Sh#t is about all there is. If there’s roadblocks as WyoVanian has said, then we should have addressed them while things were good and not look to diversify once our A$$ is in trouble
Many of us started sounding the alarm bells 6 years ago (demanding cuts and investments in other revenue generating sources) when coal demand began to slip and when oil prices took a precipitous drop from $100/bbl to $28/bbl due to excess supply.

The legislature’s response was to bury its head in the sand because ‘coal would bounce back’ and to pander to its base by running on platforms that were largely irrelevant to the work of the Wyoming legislature.

So here we are and we are in real trouble. That is a fact. 70 degree programs on the chopping block at the University and that is merely the first round of cuts. It will get worse.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I would way rather increase lodging tax, fuel tax and sales tax than have an income tax or increased property taxes
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

WYO population is just under 600k.
8.7 million overnight visitors annually.
1.5 billion shortfall = extracting another $162 from every individual that spends at least 1 night in WYO (resident or visitor).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:16 am I would way rather increase lodging tax, fuel tax and sales tax than have an income tax or increased property taxes
The only thing worse than income tax is property tax. It’s so wonderful I get rent my property from our lords. Founding fathers would be rolling in their graves.
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

There's just one word that describes our state legislature ... EMBARRASSING! They have ALWAYS ignored reality, in favor of THE PARTY. Sad!
In my humble opinion, an income tax won't happen. Also ... I think a higher sales tax is the best option. People with higher incomes spend/buy more than people with lower incomes, hence they pay more tax. I heard that the sales tax exemption on food might be removed. That would harm the folks who are just getting by. And there's talk of removing the Veterans Exemption. That would affect both my wife and me ... We're both veterans. Selfish thinking? Probably. Oh well. We have "enough," so we'll be okay, regardless. Fingers crossed. Say your prayers. Buy a voodoo doll.
PAPoke
Buckaroo

I live in Omaha now and we have an bar and restaurant tax (2.5%) (on top of the regular sales tax, 6%). It's helped fund a lot of things in our city such as the massive CWS baseball stadium. It's not very popular (what taxes are), but I think it's a pretty good compromise... It's completely optional, if you don't go to bars/retaurants.

It's been helpful for Omaha since we have so many tourists with NCAA CWS, NCAA March Madness, the Zoo, Berkshire etc...

I don't know a lot about economics, but could something like this be viable with all the tourism we see in Wyoming?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:37 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:16 am I would way rather increase lodging tax, fuel tax and sales tax than have an income tax or increased property taxes
The only thing worse than income tax is property tax. It’s so wonderful I get rent my property from our lords. Founding fathers would be rolling in their graves.
yup. I hate property taxes with a passion. More than income tax almost
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

:tickedoff:

..................... /´¯/)
…................../¯../
…................/..../
…............../...'/´¯¯`·¸
…......../.../..../......./¨¯\
…......('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
….......\.................'...../
….........\............... _.·´
…...........\.............(
….............\.............\...
Last edited by ZapPoke on Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.