Utah State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
drupp5456
Buckaroo

I have watched a few Utah State games this year and I can not believe how far they have fallen in two seasons! Honestly, I think their offense is the worst I have ever seen in the Mountain West! Absolutely horrible! Anyway, I don’t see them moving the ball very well against our defense. I will say their defense is solid, but not great by any means. I see Pokes winning this game 24-3.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

If we don’t win this one I will have lost all faith in this staff. I mean it
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Looks like we will be facing their third string qb. Starter left team, backup in COVID protocol
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Vt poke wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:15 pm ... backup in COVID protocol
If this game gets cancelled because of COVID at USU, maybe play CU in Boulder next week. Their game with Arizona State has been cancelled.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:26 pm
Vt poke wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:15 pm ... backup in COVID protocol
If this game gets cancelled because of COVID at USU, maybe play CU in Boulder next week. Their game with Arizona State has been cancelled.
Praying we get to play in Laramie, would be better if needed to see CU head north. Interesting idea
drupp5456
Buckaroo

I was curious to see where Utah State ranked nationally for offense. Out of every D1 FBS team they rank second to last. Just above U Mass. It looks like their starting quarterback Jason Shelley was actually kicked off the team after the Fresno loss because of team rules violations. They are an absolute mess as a program! At least we have some sense of stability.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:52 pm If we don’t win this one I will have lost all faith in this staff. I mean it
7 years in; I'm with you and I really like Bohl. At this point, these types of games should be solid Ws and I think it will.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I’m putting this season into the dust bin along with bohls first two seasons. That being said, there’s no excuse to lose this one
W-Y, Until I Die!
drupp5456
Buckaroo

Bad luck is a big factor when it comes to this season. Aside from Covid we had to open our season on the road against a team we had beaten three times straight. If we won that game I’m almost certain the momentum would have carried us forward to win the sheep game. I’m concerned Utah State is gonna play out of their minds against us because they have nothing to lose and they are due to play their best game against somebody.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

drupp5456 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:43 pm Bad luck is a big factor when it comes to this season. Aside from Covid we had to open our season on the road against a team we had beaten three times straight. If we won that game I’m almost certain the momentum would have carried us forward to win the sheep game. I’m concerned Utah State is gonna play out of their minds against us because they have nothing to lose and they are due to play their best game against somebody.
Utah State is a mess. Their head coach was fired 3 games into the season and their starting QB was kicked off the team this week. Utah State is second to last in FBS football in offense at 240 yards per game and pts scored per game at 11.3 (Cal is the only school lower having only palyed one game). Utah State is 5th worst in total defense giving up 525.8 yards per game. Utah State is by far the worst in FBS in yard differential at nearly -285 yards per game.

Come on man, we are in a much much better place than Utah State. While I doubt Wyoming puts up 525 yards of offense, I do expect us to control the clock and put over 200 yards of offense on the ground. I don't see a competitive game. If it is competitive, then we are much worse than I thought.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:38 pm I’m putting this season into the dust bin along with bohls first two seasons. That being said, there’s no excuse to lose this one
Agreed. Although this team has a lot of fight and we have seen it every game so I do expect the team to compete in every game and will be excited to watch the season even if it has little meaning in the scheme of things.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

drupp5456 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:06 pm I will say their defense is solid, but not great by any means.
If solid means being the 5th worst team in the country in yards per game at 525.8 allowed, then you have quite a low standard.

For comparison, we are all complaining about the drop off in our defense (me included) and we are allowing 357 yards per game.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

In 2017, we lost to a San Jose state team whose only other win was vs. mighty Cal poly. We've proven we can lose to anyone. Boise state had 15 players out with covid and beat csewe like a high school team. And contrary to other opinions I've read on this board, they dominated us. They put pressure on Levi all night and we gave their qb all day to throw. When we really needed to get the ball back, they ran over 6 minutes off the clock before kicking the fg to go up by 10. We averaged 3.0 yards/carry - hardly dominating stuff.

This season is a mess anyway. We should open up the offense and let Levi throw 40 times a game. Let's see what he can do. Give him a head start on next year. If he isn't the guy, we need to know now. If nothing else, maybe a team will actually have to game plan for more than our run,run, throw sequences. We are in year seven of an offense that Woody Hayes would call conservative. If nothing else, let's try something else for the sake of variety.
drupp5456
Buckaroo

I definitely think Levi is the guy but Vigen needs to use his tools. The kid can flat out run! Need more read option plays where he holds the ball and runs off tackle. Between him and Valladay they could really keep defenses off balance and then pass the ball a lot more
drupp5456
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:39 pm
drupp5456 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:06 pm I will say their defense is solid, but not great by any means.
If solid means being the 5th worst team in the country in yards per game at 525.8 allowed, then you have quite a low standard.

For comparison, we are all complaining about the drop off in our defense (me included) and we are allowing 357 yards per game.
Ya the defense is pathetic you are right. I didn’t realize how many yards they give up.