New OC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Leftherbucknaked
Buckaroo

I am conflicted. I have disliked Vigen for years, but I know he is attached at the hip to Bohl, only way to lose Vigen is lose Bohl. After our humiliating defeat to CSU and now tonight losing to 0-5 hapless NM, something is structurally wrong that needs to be addressed. We are left yet again with no bowl hopes in a year and a conference where we should have had a legitimate shot. Maybe it is time for bowl to pack his bags.
Leftherbucknaked
Buckaroo

A potato for OC is looking so good right now, can we sink any lower? Oh, I should not have asked that. Boise is going to clean our clocks.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:01 pm Points per game 2020: 33.5
Ppg 2016: 35.9

Yards per play 2020: 5.82
2016: 6.05

I get it, this offense is frustrating but the data says it’s not that bad.
We are 2-3; 4 out of 5 games have been against the bottom 4 teams in the MW and have some of the worst defenses is FBS. The 2016 team would have averaged 50+ points a game against this schedule.

It's an extremely small sample size against the worst of the worst. Vigens poop offense works well when he can manhandle the line, ie UNLV and a hawaii team that was nearly two weeks away from the island and played in Laramie. We actually put up decent output when he opened up the playbook, but when it was too late. That's why I think the possibility of having a top half off FBS offense is possible.

But no, we're stuck with the genius that thinks a sneak from 4th and nearly 3 is a good idea, and then ignores the sneak when they line up for 4th and 1 and there isn't a DT on the other side. And the guy that throws a fade to a 5-8 receiver when you have 5+ guys that stretch 6-4, including Neyor.

f-word Vigen/Grant and f-word Bohl if he doesn't make a change.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:04 am Every QB Bohl and Vigen have coached has gotten worse than when they got here.
Bingo. The numbers tell the tale. Bohl, at this point, is an overpaid experiment. Time to move on.
He'll get a pass this season, but anything less than 8 wins next season should be his farewell.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:19 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:04 am Every QB Bohl and Vigen have coached has gotten worse than when they got here.
Bingo. The numbers tell the tale. Bohl, at this point, is an overpaid experiment. Time to move on.
He'll get a pass this season, but anything less than 8 wins next season should be his farewell.
Burman gave him an extension in October that takes him through 2024. The extension was only for 1 year added on but still, an extension. If Bohl doesn't succeed next year, Bohl needs to go and take Burman with him.

By the way, Bohl is making $1,500,000 per year for this poop show on turf.

https://footballscoop.com/news/wyoming- ... -contract/
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

People need to come to grips with 2 key points: 1) Josh was drafted high DESPITE Vigen even though Vigen gets some credit for recruiting but recruiting only.
2) the 2016 offense had success DESPITE Vigen; there were just good players all over the field which could put up points against largely bad teams. How did the offense do against NE?

Also remember, NDSU offense improved when Vigen left.

Bohl has to make changes. The passing game is dysfunctional with poor technique throughout. At very minimum, we need a new QB coach, new WR coach, and I'd suggest a passing game coordinator. We really need a new offensive coordinator but that ain't happening.

We are approaching the dreaded situation where a coaching change can be legitimately debated. I'm not there but I can appreciate the argument of "how much worse can it get? why not try something else?".

If Bohl sticks with Vigen and next year is the same, I might be on the replacement bandwagon. There is simply no logical argument in support of our in justification for this offense. Receivers can't catch? Who recruited and coaches then? QBs can't throw? Who recruited and coaches them? Players can be the problem in a few rebuilding years not in 85% of the years.

UNM shouldn't have been able to keep pace. It is a testament of how easy it is to scheme for WYO.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

I would replace the staff now. I know burman won't because he always waits 2 to 3 years too long. But if we replaced the staff this year, the new staff would have players to work with because the recruiting has not been that bad, plus we have young qbs with multiple years to still be developed and improved. When he does fire the staff several years from now, our recruiting will have dropped off because our team is continually regressing, our qbs will be in their final seasons or gone and it will be a total rebuild
SheepSlayer
Buckaroo

Against one of the worst teams and defenses in the country, we scored only one touchdown and that was a 60 yarder where they had all 11 guys within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage. No touchdowns on sustained drives. One of our field goals was after a turnover where we went three and out but were already in field goal range. So in 60 minutes of play we scored a grand total of two field goals on sustained drives. That would be disappointing but understandable against Alabama, but New Mexico?!?!
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

SheepSlayer wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:03 am Against one of the worst teams and defenses in the country, we scored only one touchdown and that was a 60 yarder where they had all 11 guys within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage. No touchdowns on sustained drives. One of our field goals was after a turnover where we went three and out but were already in field goal range. So in 60 minutes of play we scored a grand total of two field goals on sustained drives. That would be disappointing but understandable against Alabama, but New Mexico?!?!
On top of all that garbage, 1/3 of our total yards came on two plays. The Neyor "pass" and Smith's run. We had 91 passing yards on paper, 58 of those came on the Neyor play that was a run that counted as a pass. Beerup had an 18 yard pass. So in nearly 4 full quarters, Levi had 15 yards of true passing production against nearly the worst passing D in the Country.

Vigen continues to poop his pants and refuses to gameplan to the opponents weakness. Rocky knew he wouldn't mix it up, and punished us for it. This BS about "imposing our will" and making the other Ds beat us, is utter nonsense.

I'm not against this type of offense, and am not advocating for a Spread or other similar offense. But Vigen continually calls the worst games when it matters the most. Down 1 point, have 2 timeouts and need 15 yards to get in FG range? Let's go ahead and throw four straight passes over 15 yards with our third string QB. His two minute offense is hands down the worst situational play calling I have ever witnessed and his full game isn't much better.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Vigen's offence is great. The problem is that he was born 70 years too late. What he's doing now would have been just fine in 1950. Maybe he just got caught in a time warp.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

PokeNer wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:29 am
SheepSlayer wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:03 am Against one of the worst teams and defenses in the country, we scored only one touchdown and that was a 60 yarder where they had all 11 guys within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage. No touchdowns on sustained drives. One of our field goals was after a turnover where we went three and out but were already in field goal range. So in 60 minutes of play we scored a grand total of two field goals on sustained drives. That would be disappointing but understandable against Alabama, but New Mexico?!?!
On top of all that garbage, 1/3 of our total yards came on two plays. The Neyor "pass" and Smith's run. We had 91 passing yards on paper, 58 of those came on the Neyor play that was a run that counted as a pass. Beerup had an 18 yard pass. So in nearly 4 full quarters, Levi had 15 yards of true passing production against nearly the worst passing D in the Country.

Vigen continues to Sh#t his pants and refuses to gameplan to the opponents weakness. Rocky knew he wouldn't mix it up, and punished us for it. This BS about "imposing our will" and making the other Ds beat us, is utter nonsense.

I'm not against this type of offense, and am not advocating for a Spread or other similar offense. But Vigen continually calls the worst games when it matters the most. Down 1 point, have 2 timeouts and need 15 yards to get in FG range? Let's go ahead and throw four straight passes over 15 yards with our third string QB. His two minute offense is hands down the worst situational play calling I have ever witnessed and his full game isn't much better.
The pass to Neyor was actually a pass, it was a deep throw down field for 54 yards. The other play you are referencing was a rush for 58 yards.

Don't disagree with anything else you said, but thought I'd point that one out.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:12 pm
PokeNer wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:29 am

Vigen continues to Sh#t his pants and refuses to gameplan to the opponents weakness. Rocky knew he wouldn't mix it up, and punished us for it. This BS about "imposing our will" and making the other Ds beat us, is utter nonsense.

The pass to Neyor was actually a pass, it was a deep throw down field for 54 yards. The other play you are referencing was a rush for 58 yards.

Don't disagree with anything else you said, but thought I'd point that one out.
Ah, I stand corrected. I forgot about that pass, I was thinking they counted the run he had as a pass. Either way, it was an abysmal performance from the passing game.
BeachPoke
Ranch Hand

To go against the worst team in the league and not be able to throw the football is pathetic. Their is no excuse for this loss.
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo

Wyovanian wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:19 amHe'll get a pass this season, but anything less than 8 wins next season should be his farewell.
wow. There are only a handful of coaches on the planet who could get the University of Wyoming to achieve what Bohl has in his tenure in Laramie. And the percentage of those coaches that UW can afford or attract is almost zero

bowl eligible for four straight years, bowls in three of four seasons? Three eight-win seasons in four years? Incredible

this year has not been great and the development of QBs has been an issue. But if you are making a list of head coaches who who deserve a pass on 2020 with the lack of proper preseason practice and the opt outs and overall lack of normalcy, I think Bohl would be right up near Dabo/Saban/Day/Mullen/etc

new QB coach and maybe look at the recruiting strategy for the QB position? Fine. But it's tough to recruit really quality talent to Laramie, it just is

wish the state would legalize weed to bring in tax revenue and create jobs. Would go a long way toward helping WYO athletics IMO
SheepSlayer
Buckaroo

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:33 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:19 amHe'll get a pass this season, but anything less than 8 wins next season should be his farewell.
wow. There are only a handful of coaches on the planet who could get the University of Wyoming to achieve what Bohl has in his tenure in Laramie. And the percentage of those coaches that UW can afford or attract is almost zero

bowl eligible for four straight years, bowls in three of four seasons? Three eight-win seasons in four years? Incredible

this year has not been great and the development of QBs has been an issue. But if you are making a list of head coaches who who deserve a pass on 2020 with the lack of proper preseason practice and the opt outs and overall lack of normalcy, I think Bohl would be right up near Dabo/Saban/Day/Mullen/etc

new QB coach and maybe look at the recruiting strategy for the QB position? Fine. But it's tough to recruit really quality talent to Laramie, it just is

wish the state would legalize weed to bring in tax revenue and create jobs. Would go a long way toward helping WYO athletics IMO
One too many edibles for you tonight. I like what Bohl has done with the program for the most part but he doesn’t belong anywhere near a conversation with saban or dabo. If he did he’d be long gone by now coaching a major P5 school. We can walk and chew gum at the same time and recognize that Bohl has brought us to the brink of greatness, but he’s holding on tight to the one thing that’s holding us back the most. Alabama used to pound the ball up the middle every play too, but when Saban realized he needed to score more points to continue to be at the top, he made a change. LSU did the same. I’m not saying to go spread, but being terrible on offense can’t be acceptable and the great programs make changes when they need to. We recruit QB just fine, they just all get worse while they’re here and are not given play calls to help them succeed. If Vigen can change it up to improve the offense then great, I have nothing against him personally. But I’m just a little skeptical at this point.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

Or the other way of saying that is in 7 years Bohl has never won the conference, has never won the division outright, has never had a double digit win season, has never lost less than at least five games in a season, has snapped an opposing teams longest in the nation losing streak twice in the last 4 seasons by losing to them, lost to an fcs school at home, has multiple losses to teams that won only one game that season (against wyo), and for six of the seven years has had an offense ranked in the bottom 25 of all of college football. I don't think "incredible" is quite the right word to describe that span. Going to a bowl game for three years is average at best. Nearly every other team in the league can say they went to 3 bowl games in a row at some point in the last 15-year span. When there are bowl games for 60 percent of the college football teams, and bowl games even allow teams with losing records now, that isn't an "incredible" achievement.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:18 am

Or the other way of saying that is in 7 years Bohl has never won the conference, has never won the division outright, has never had a double digit win season, has never lost less than at least five games in a season, has snapped an opposing teams longest in the nation losing streak twice in the last 4 seasons by losing to them, lost to an fcs school at home, has multiple losses to teams that won only one game that season (against wyo), and for six of the seven years has had an offense ranked in the bottom 25 of all of college football. I don't think "incredible" is quite the right word to describe that span. Going to a bowl game for three years is average at best. Nearly every other team in the league can say they went to 3 bowl games in a row at some point in the last 15-year span. When there are bowl games for 60 percent of the college football teams, and bowl games even allow teams with losing records now, that isn't an "incredible" achievement.
I get what you're saying WyomingAJ... But that assessment misses the point of what HomeOnTheRange is saying. Maybe I to would take exception to using the comparison to the coaches mentioned but he's not wrong about everything else. There are a few facts that you have to grapple with if you are calling for a coaches head at a school like wyoming.

1. Wyoming is not seen as a "good" coaching destination... And it's reputation as a stepping stone destination seems to be gone as well.

2. Craig Bohl's results on the field are more preferable than any other coach has achieved this century.

Given those two facts... It's not obvious that wyoming gets automatically better by moving on from Bohl. All of this talk about his stubbornness to fire an offensive coordinator is a red herring. This is Bohl's team running his he wants it to run. Some years we will have better talent and get better results.

*And don't even get me started on the asinine references to how strong the mwc or WAC was in the past.... If we go down that road, let's not even have seasons, conferences, or championships and just install some sort of rating system that will be eternally adjusted and argued about. Regardless of the conference or opponent... The point is to win as many as you can... That goes for Clemson on down to whomever is the weakest team in the weakest conference.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

307bball wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:07 am
2. Craig Bohl's results on the field are more preferable than any other coach has achieved this century.

*And don't even get me started on the asinine references to how strong the mwc or WAC was in the past.... If we go down that road, let's not even have seasons, conferences, or championships and just install some sort of rating system that will be eternally adjusted and argued about. Regardless of the conference or opponent... The point is to win as many as you can... That goes for Clemson on down to whomever is the weakest team in the weakest conference.
Just because you choose to deny it doesn't make it less true. Past coaches had substantially harder conferences both with on field results as well as playing against schools with much larger budgets, fanbases, etc. Even Burman and DC commented about competing against schools more closely aligned with UW's budget capabilities.

Bohl has had it easier than any coach in WYO history over a 7 year span (sans DC). You might be able to dig out a year here or there that was easier but over 7 years? No way.

The weaker the conference opponents the easier it is to win. It is not rocket science not some sort of mathematical voodoo. Claiming Bohl is some mythical coach who can do things at WYO that no one else can while completely ignoring the fact that his SOS is substantially easier than previous coaches is asinine.

SOS by year:
2003-2004 62 4-8
2004-2005 67 7-5
2005-2006 69 4-7
2006-2007 63 6-6
2007-2008 66 5-7
2008-2009 102 4-8
Overall 30-41 42%W
AVG SOS 71.5

2009-2010 80 7-6
2010-2011 82 3-9
2011-2012 95 8-5
2012-2013 107 4-8
2013-2014 107 5-7
Overall 27-35 43%W
AVG SOS 94.2

2014-2015 91 4-8
2015-2016 106 2-10
2016-2017 77 8-6
2017-2018 84 8-5
2018-2019 84 6-6
2019-2020 85 8-5
Overall 38-43 47%W
AVG SOS 87
202 SOS is 96 with probable record of 2-4 or 33% win percentage. If 2-4 is used in calculations, overall win percentage is 46%

DC was a disaster. Craig Bohl gained 5% in the W column against an average SOS ranked 16 spots lower compared with Glenn. Moving mountains? I guess depends on your definition of moving mountains.

I like Bohl, but he has definitely benefited from a MUCH weaker schedule compared with Glenn while not improving overall win percentage by that much.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SheepSlayer
Buckaroo

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Attracting a coach is one thing and a much longer topic, but let’s squash the notion of affordability. There are several coaches on this list below Bohl who would have the potential to do a great job here. And that’s just the fbs head coaches, not assistants or fcs coaches. Of the schools who publish their salaries, the lowest paid coach is the coach at Coastal Carolina. Last I checked they are 10-0, just beat byu, and are ranked in the top 15 nationally. This isn’t an argument to can Bohl but let’s stop acting like budget is what’s holding us back.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

307bball wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:07 am
WyomingAgJ wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:18 am

I get what you're saying WyomingAJ... But that assessment misses the point of what HomeOnTheRange is saying. Maybe I to would take exception to using the comparison to the coaches mentioned but he's not wrong about everything else. There are a few facts that you have to grapple with if you are calling for a coaches head at a school like wyoming.

1. Wyoming is not seen as a "good" coaching destination... And it's reputation as a stepping stone destination seems to be gone as well.

Given those two facts... It's not obvious that wyoming gets automatically better by moving on from Bohl. All of this talk about his stubbornness to fire an offensive coordinator is a red herring. This is Bohl's team running his he wants it to run. Some years we will have better talent and get better results.

Well stated.

Those calling for Bohl's firing at this point or for Bohl to somehow shift his offensive philosophy are not being realistic. Bohl ball is what you see and is what we will get. There is no such thing as a Bohl head coach and a different offensive philosophy. Overall, it is hard to get an accurate gauge on the state of the program based on this season that is a fact (who knows where we are without the defensive opt outs and the unfortunate Chambers injury and the crazy schedule that was in constant flux). Next year we should have an opporunity to evaluate the program and see where we are at.

I've said this over and over but there is a huge difference between the program under Bohl and the program under Christensen from a competitive standpoint. I've never seen the players pack in a game under Bohl. They continue to compete and that has been shown in all of the games this year as well. under Christensen (and Glenn at points), there were definitely games where the players just packed it in and went through the motions.

Finally - if Trey Smith doesn't fumble against New Mexico are we really having all of these same discussions? Not pointing the blame on Smith but it goes to show the impact of one perhaps unlucky play. As the old saying goes, you are never as good as you think you are after a win or never as bad as you think you are after a loss.