Next Year....QB and more

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

This year is basically over. I think if the pokes were gonna have a losing year, at least it was this shortened year. We all know Levi is not the answer and probably wont be the starter next year. Chambers will start or the Freshman will probably pass him
on the depth chart. I know everybody is armchair QB, but the importance of the QB cannot be understated. Wyoming will only go as far as the QB will take them. If we have a good QB Wyoming can win every game on their schedule, if we dont, than next year will be like this year. The cupboard is full next year. D line and Oline should be good. Linebackers and secondary will be better. Running backs are good and I think Our receivers will be good enough.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

QB is not the problem. This staff puts these kids in a position to fail as passers. It's as simple as that. The offensive staff is the problem. No kid will be successful here until the coaches learn how a modern offense works or are replaced.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

WyoVaquero wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:45 pm This year is basically over. I think if the pokes were gonna have a losing year, at least it was this shortened year. We all know Levi is not the answer and probably wont be the starter next year. Chambers will start or the Freshman will probably pass him
on the depth chart. I know everybody is armchair QB, but the importance of the QB cannot be understated. Wyoming will only go as far as the QB will take them. If we have a good QB Wyoming can win every game on their schedule, if we dont, than next year will be like this year. The cupboard is full next year. D line and Oline should be good. Linebackers and secondary will be better. Running backs are good and I think Our receivers will be good enough.
I guess I didn't know that Levi isn't the answer. He's a freshman. It's kind of hard to judge how good he is when Josh Allen's biggest year for us produced a completion percentage of 56 percent.

I'm not sold that we should cut and run on Levi.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Vigen and Grant need to go, ASAP. Vigen's offense is pedestrian and predictable. Bohl is loyal - sure - but he knows he has a lot of other coaches and their families and the players relying on him to make tough decisions. Bohl is not getting any younger and wants to win a MW championship and hit a NY6 bowl. He is realizing that Vigen will never get him there. Bohl does want this general type of offense, but he is not pleased with the playcalling in Brent's offense and its anemic production. Bohl's growing impatience has been extremely evident this year and was certainly top of his mind last summer. He said that they needed to improve. They have regressed. Time for the pink slip for the OC.

The only meaningful passing production we get is from TE in the passing game (most of the time), and Moore coaches them. Grant's squad cannot block, runs terrible routes (which only makes our young QB's jobs harder) and, oh yeah, can't catch. Other than that, I would say that our WR corps is top drawer. Anytime you have an old Nebraska QB from the option days as your WR coach, you are signaling that you don't value WR production outside of blocking ...and, as noted, they cannot even block. Time to send Mike packing with Vigs.

As far as Levi is concerned, I love Shawn, but the kid has glass legs (not his fault, but a reality). So long as that is the case, we need as many QBs that can breath, run and throw as possible on the roster. Having watched him in the AZ Bowl, the kid can play - but as with all of our QBs, the longer he works with Vigen, the more he regresses. Cut ties with Brent and the world gets better for Levi, Shawn, Beerup and the whole of the QB room.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Bohl said we moved the ball well enough to win the game in postgame interview.

I'm not sure what to make of that.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:51 am Bohl said we moved the ball well enough to win the game in postgame interview.

Technically, he is correct. And UNM has lost some close games to Hawaii and Nevada - but good enough to win against one of the worst teams in D1 is not good enough for me. I hope he expects more than "good enough."

Fact is we didn't win. Our punter, Vigen, Grant and, unfortunately, Smith, made sure of that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:51 am Bohl said we moved the ball well enough to win the game in postgame interview.

It means his an IDIOT. What a stupid thing to say.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

That's some good "technically correct" speak worthy of a DC politician. Pretty meaningless to say we did well enough to win if we didn't win.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:08 am

That's some good "technically correct" speak worthy of a DC politician. Pretty meaningless to say we did well enough to win if we didn't win.
Technically they moved the ball okay.... Just not when it mattered the most. 1 for 11 on third down versus the worst D in the MW on 3rd down conversion allowed, and 1 for 3 on 4th down. Four straight 15 yard + passes with your 3rd string QB when you have 2 timeouts and only need 15ish yards. Vigen poop his pants when it matters the most. He's garbage.

If you want to put blinders on and say the offense did enough to win, and put the blame on the D then it's time for Bohl to pack his bags as well. This poop has gotten stale, and it's time to change or move on to the next regime.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

PokeNer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:48 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:08 am

Technically they moved the ball okay.... Just not when it mattered the most. 1 for 11 on third down versus the worst D in the MW on 3rd down conversion allowed, and 1 for 3 on 4th down. Four straight 15 yard + passes with your 3rd string QB when you have 2 timeouts and only need 15ish yards. Vigen sh#t[#] his pants when it matters the most. He's garbage.

If you want to put blinders on and say the offense did enough to win, and put the blame on the D then it's time for Bohl to pack his bags as well. This Sh#t has gotten stale, and it's time to change or move on to the next regime.
This. All of this. Knowing who you are and having a good sense of how you want to play and recruit is essential in a head coach. Some degree of stubbornness is also ok. Blind, pigheaded, beating your head against a brick wall defiance of reality is what gets otherwise decent coaches canned.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

If the Pokes had used the imaginative "don't-know-who's-going-to-run-the-ball" scheme NM used, we would have won easily - the Pokes simply have better players than NM.