How can Bohl be OK with the offense, get new offensive coaches to save the program

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Still blows my mind.

He basically blamed the loss on the defense as he is prone to do after the offense craps the bed.

Bohl cut bait with DC Stannard and it bore tremendous fruit. We've had a good defense since. WHY THE HELL won't he do that with OC Brnt Vigen? It's going to sink his career here at Wyoming and ruin his legacy. Is that really worth keeping a friend around for? :willybs:
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:15 am Still blows my mind.

He basically blamed the loss on the defense as he is prone to do after the offense craps the bed.

Bohl cut bait with DC Stannard and it bore tremendous fruit. We've had a good defense since. WHY THE HELL won't he do that with OC Brnt Vigen? It's going to sink his career here at Wyoming and ruin his legacy. Is that really worth keeping a friend around for? :willybs:
Bohl is basically Joe Glenn 2.0 He won't fire Vigen.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

At some point you gotta wonder if Vigens got something on Bohl.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

bullbugle307 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:54 pm At some point you gotta wonder if Vigens got something on Bohl.
Wouldn't shock me.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:54 pm At some point you gotta wonder if Vigens got something on Bohl.
You think maybe Vigen is helping out Bohl with his wife?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:10 pm
Oh...PLEASE...I just ate!!!! :puke:
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand

Wyokie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:23 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:15 am Still blows my mind.

Bohl is basically Joe Glenn 2.0 He won't fire Vigen.
Its funny. When he got hired I told my dad that I thought he would be just like Glenn. He pretty much told me I was an idiot and parroted all the talking points, "championships this, nebraska that".....as he and many others are prone to do.

At some point I started to think maybe I was wrong, if only we could put a decent offense of the field we could get to where we need to be. Now, it's looking more and more like Bohl won't do what needs to be done on offense no matter how bad it gets. I'm starting to wonder if it's not about more than friendship and loyalty.

I've figured out a few things about our offense, and so has every other defensive coordinator we face. More often that not, all you have to do is stop the big run from happening. Our offensive stats are smoke and mirrors. Total yards and ypp don't mean squat if your drives ultimately stall out and you can't move the chains consistently or settle for FGs too much. That's been our problem all along with Bohl it seems like. Look at this last game, 6.8 ypp and 374 total yards. That sounds pretty damn good, if you didn't actually watch the game. 1/11 on 3rd down and 1/3 on 4th. That's what kills us. Every game it seems like 65-80 percent of our yards come on less than 10 percent of our plays. In other words, we have way too damn many unproductive downs. This kills our defense and puts them in situations where they're prone to fail. They do a pretty damn good job despite this, and if I were them and the defensive coaches I'd be irate at how they're expected to do everything all the time or they get thrown under the bus. No wonder all our coaches on that side of the ball left the last couple years.

Hunter S. Thompson
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:10 pm
Man Idk. I doubt it's that. Honestly I feel bad about even speculating openly. Bohl seems to run a pretty tight ship. I hope I'm completely wrong.

But at some point I can't help but wonder.

Hunter S. Thompson
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

According to Bohl, we're all just a bunch of "little league" coaches. Whatever. pretty soon everyone will just start checking out and not giving a poop
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Bohl needs to go back and look at the numbers for the last several years, cause if he's shocked and depressed about 104th on 3rd down this year, he might be amazed at how god awful the offense has been since 2016.

Vigen has had 7 years to "recalibrate," what a f-word joke. This tweet doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy that anything is going to change in the off-season. Every year there is some excuse that allows him to give Vigen the benefit of a doubt. If they didn't prepare for Levi to potentially be the starter after all the injury problems Chambers has, they are dumber than I thought.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Umm, wow. That's all I'll say.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Bohl is getting paid $1,500,000 per year to produce the product we all saw on the field Saturday. Personally, I think he's way overpaid for the results over 7 years. Burman, Bohl, and the rest of the program need to be on the hot seat, especially in these trying economic times. It's been 7 years and Bohl ball 2020 looks a lot like 2015 Bohl ball. I am sick of the excuses. He's 38 - 43 and that just isn't good enough. Put up or shut up time for Bohl, Burman, et al.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

meh, nevermind
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Bohl and Vigen is just a repeat of Glenn and Cockhill. Sometimes a strong friendship can destroy careers!!!!!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

The problem is Bohl more so that Vigen. Vigen runs the offense Bohl wants. Bohl won’t fire Vigen , so either way Bohl gets the blame.

This isn’t about people thinking they can coach little league baseball and call football plays. Bohl has a losing record after 7 years and is getting paid WAY too much money for the results.

I don’t want to hear his stupid excuses about Quarterback and Sean going down. If they were halfway decent coaches they would have a couple of guys that can throw the ball.

Levi was rated the 5th best passing QB in Texas high school football which is no joke. The problem with what Bohl says is that every QB they coach ends up getting worse here from the first game they play to the last game because of the atrocious coaching. He needs to pack his bags if he isn’t going to take some responsibility. This is just another Glenn and Cockhill thing happening as said above.

I’m done with the football team anyways. Basketball has a lot more excitement and potential.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Ok, I can't help myself, lol. I wonder if only males are questioning the offense? Based on my household, I'd say no. When the wolves come knocking on the door asking to cut the WYO football program or severely limit it financially, I wonder if Bohl will still think everyone is a little league coach? When big donation campaigns are launched to fill massive budget shortfalls, I wonder if the slogan is "every red blooded american Male needs to open their wallet and shut your mouth".

Coach, I don't need to be a mechanic to tell you that a car runs like poop just like I don't need to be a college coach to tell you the offense isn't working.

The key point he made was knowing what you can and can't do. The offense doesn't do more because it can't. They don't have the personal and the offense plays like it. I've never witnessed an offense so scared to play offense ever.

Sorry, Coach, you lost me there. Call whatever plays you want, but the offense is poop largely driven by an incompetent passing game. All the data points to it AND YOU ARE PLAYING THE WORST DEFENSES IN FBS. Maybe the fact that even little league coaches can figure that out and you can't or at least acknowledge it is a problem.

I don't give a damn about your play calls but a bottom 1/3 offense 6 of 7 years, terrible on 3rd downs, incompetent passing game, etc. is telling enough. Amazing that he thinks it's just fine. Crazy really.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:13 am Ok, I can't help myself, lol. I wonder if only males are questioning the offense? Based on my household, I'd say no. When the wolves come knocking on the door asking to cut the WYO football program or severely limit it financially, I wonder if Bohl will still think everyone is a little league coach? When big donation campaigns are launched to fill massive budget shortfalls, I wonder if the slogan is "every red blooded american Male needs to open their wallet and shut your mouth".

Coach, I don't need to be a mechanic to tell you that a car runs like [#]sh#t just like I don't need to be a college coach to tell you the offense isn't working.

The key point he made was knowing what you can and can't do. The offense doesn't do more because it can't. They don't have the personal and the offense plays like it. I've never witnessed an offense so scared to play offense ever.

Sorry, Coach, you lost me there. Call whatever plays you want, but the offense is [#]sh#t largely driven by an incompetent passing game. All the data points to it AND YOU ARE PLAYING THE WORST DEFENSES IN FBS. Maybe the fact that even little league coaches can figure that out and you can't or at least acknowledge it is a problem.

I don't give a damn about your play calls but a bottom 1/3 offense 6 of 7 years, terrible on 3rd downs, incompetent passing game, etc. is telling enough. Amazing that he thinks it's just fine. Crazy really.
As usual, we're on the same page. I may not be able to decipher the blocking scheme on each play, but I can look at a play and analyze why it did or why it didn't work. The fact of the matter is our Offense design and play calling is the most unimaginative system in FBS. For example, when you finally do call a pass play, and 1) you only have two receivers running routes against Cover 2, it's probably not going to work or 2) you call a pass in the Red Zone and all 3 of your receivers end up within 3 yards of each other, along with the entire Defensive secondary, it's probably not going to work. We've seen the potential; frankly Levi looked really good when they opened up against Nevada and CSU.

I think it really boils down to: they don't care who they are playing; it's an "impose our will" type of offense. The gameplan doesn't change based on an opponents strengths and weaknesses. When imposing our will fails, like it does time and time again, Vigen panics. Frankly, when one pass play fails he panics and it seems to be tossed from the play book. Our QBs don't have any liberty to audible or change at the line; if they see a safety or linebacker planning to run blitz off the edge and won't be blocked, they don't change. This has probably happened 50 times this year. This offense works when your Alabama, Clemson, or the NDSU of FCS; it doesn't work when it is difficult to recruit and develop depth. Teams that have difficulties recruiting typically have to develop an offense that is "gimmicky", i.e the Run and Shoot, Triple Option, or Spread. This offense has talent, and when the run game clicks it's impressive. However, without a pass game the run game won't click very often and takes a lot longer to wear down the D.

As you say though, we are in a situation where Bohl should not be dismissing any potential donors thoughts. The State is seeing a MASSIVE budget shortfall, and the money that used to come from Cheyenne will be drying up. I received my CJC renewal packet yesterday; it went straight into the trash. Bohl and Vigen are both employees of the State and probably the two highest paid at that. They deserve to be analyzed and criticized by anyone, since essentially every individual that lives in the State are paying their wages.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand

Bohl and Vigen are both employees of the State and probably the two highest paid at that. They deserve to be analyzed and criticized by anyone, since essentially every individual that lives in the State are paying their wages.

Governors salary is just over 100k.

Bohls is an order of magnitude higher.

Hunter S. Thompson
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 31 times

Here's a great Twitter thread:
ImageImageImageImage
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

" I can't play the violin, but I can tell if you can"