Option Offense

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

Some of the most entertaining Cowboy games I ever saw occurred when we were running the option. Phil Davis was incredible. Just ask BYU. I remember listening to a Wyoming game in Norman, Oklahoma. At halftime, Barry Switzer was raving on about Davis: "How did you find that guy, when we overlooked him? He should be on our team." The option was good enough for Switzer, Fred Akers and Pat Dye, Bear Bryant and others who won National Championships running the option. I just don't see the option as a "gimmicky" offense. Not after watching Oklahoma, Texas, Auburn, Alabama, the Service Academies, and even Wyoming kick butt with it.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times

There's a reason no one runs it anymore. Rules favor passing far more than the old days. In the old days, you could bump a receiver all over the field. Receivers used to get unbelievably brutal head shots. Head hunting was legal in those days. Pass interference was mostly a rumor. In today's college football, you can't be one dimensional. Scores in national championship games more closely resemble basketball scores. Plus, if you have pro aspirations, who is going to want to play in an option offense? No qb or receivers with talent will want any part of it. Not to mention O-linemen who might want to learn to pass block.