Dontae Crow Transferring

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:42 pm
1. If you were a receiver, what are the benefits of playing in this offense and under Vigen/Grant?

2. I'm not a big fan of Crow. I thought he was in a starting role mainly due to seniority. He cost us many times on punt returns. He didn't seem to have great hands, which is a huge detriment at his size.

3. Where he ends up and how he plays will give us an idea of talent vs coaching since he's supposedly our WR1.
Last edited by PokeNer on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

This could be a relatively non football related transfer. Crow may have a specific graduate program in mind at a different school. Certainly all speculation but it makes sense when considering that Crow was a senior this year and is from Wyoming.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Kid did whatever was asked of him. Good luck, young man.
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:41 pm This could be a relatively non football related transfer. Crow may have a specific graduate program in mind at a different school. Certainly all speculation but it makes sense when considering that Crow was a senior this year and is from Wyoming.
This ^ ^ ^

Hopefully it also had to do with some writing on some wall(s). Although with Vigen calling the plays...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Happy trails, Dontae. Best of luck
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Kid stepped in whenever and wherever he was asked. He made mistakes, especially in the return game, but filled in capably as our punter and had some decent catches in an offense that makes any catch a celebratory event and with a position coach that was a QB in an option offense at Nebraska that couldn't find a receiver on a clipboard on most days.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Wish him all the best as a Wyoming kid. Became clear that he was not a Division I level receiver unfortunately. Showed how bare the cupboard was at that position
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:04 am Wish him all the best as a Wyoming kid. Became clear that he was not a Division I level receiver unfortunately. Showed how bare the cupboard was at that position
I take issue with this a bit. Crow proved he had a Division 1 work ethic with an interesting skill set mix (being a punter and punt returner in the same game at one point), did everything that was asked of him and earned a scholarship after walking on. He may have been listed at receiver but he brought other assets to the team as well.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up but I believe he has a bright future.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Poke in New England wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:04 am Wish him all the best as a Wyoming kid. Became clear that he was not a Division I level receiver unfortunately. Showed how bare the cupboard was at that position
Not sure I agree with that. A bit inconsistent as a punt returner, yeah. But its hard to really pin much on the WRs without looking at the playcalling and development as a whole.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:43 am
Not sure I agree with that. A bit inconsistent as a punt returner, yeah. But its hard to really pin much on the WRs without looking at the playcalling and development as a whole.
It's kind of funny that all these kids come to UW with division 1 offers and suddenly aren't division 1 level receivers or quarterbacks. It's almost as if people say this every year. It's definitely the kids fault and not on the staff at all.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

DVDA wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:34 pm
It's kind of funny that all these kids come to UW with division 1 offers and suddenly aren't division 1 level receivers or quarterbacks. It's almost as if people say this every year. It's definitely the kids fault and not on the staff at all.
Again, I wish him nothing but well, but Crow was never really a factor in the passing game over 4 years. 12 catches across 4 seasons. Not going to comment further and bash the kid just to argue. I hope he finds a situation where he can continue playing football and represents Wyoming well.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Poke in New England wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:59 pm
Again, I wish him nothing but well, but Crow was never really a factor in the passing game over 4 years. 12 catches across 4 seasons. Not going to comment further and bash the kid just to argue. I hope he finds a situation where he can continue playing football and represents Wyoming well.
I don't think Crow is anything special, but the only receiver to ever look good for Bohl was Tanner Gentry and that was due to being a borderline NFL talent and Josh Allen. This staff does not put their quarterbacks and receivers in a position to be successful. It's not fair of us to blame these kids when they're given a handful of poop to make art with.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

DVDA wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:20 pm
I don't think Crow is anything special, but the only receiver to ever look good for Bohl was Tanner Gentry and that was due to being a borderline NFL talent and Josh Allen. This staff does not put their quarterbacks and receivers in a position to be successful. It's not fair of us to blame these kids when they're given a handful of Sh#t to make art with.
I'll grant that the staff does not do the receivers any favors...But I am POSITIVE that the overall talent at WR is low as well. Does anybody believe that a guy like Ryan Mcguffey, Malcolm Floydd, or Boughknight would not be a huuuuge upgrade to any of the WR of the last four years? Recent and current WR are not good...just because they don't play in a good offense does not let them off the hook....nothing against them, I'm sure they are trying, they just don't have the tools. At this point....I blame the staff much more for whiffing on recruiting this position so consistently. Undersized guys like crow are such a long shot to be high impact WR. The best case scenario for a guy like that would be something like what Austin Conway accomplished...decent career...nothing to write home about.

BTW...pointing out that the WR position is a black hole of low talent does not take the staff off the hook...who do you think recruits these guys? Who do you think develops these guys? What WR, in the Bohl era, had talent that just leapt off the screen, but was kept down by an inept offense? I'll be generous and rate them as just below mediocre.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

307bball wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:01 am
DVDA wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:20 pm
I don't think Crow is anything special, but the only receiver to ever look good for Bohl was Tanner Gentry and that was due to being a borderline NFL talent and Josh Allen. This staff does not put their quarterbacks and receivers in a position to be successful. It's not fair of us to blame these kids when they're given a handful of Sh#t to make art with.
I'll grant that the staff does not do the receivers any favors...But I am POSITIVE that the overall talent at WR is low as well. Does anybody believe that a guy like Ryan Mcguffey, Malcolm Floydd, or Boughknight would not be a huuuuge upgrade to any of the WR of the last four years? Recent and current WR are not good...just because they don't play in a good offense does not let them off the hook....nothing against them, I'm sure they are trying, they just don't have the tools. At this point....I blame the staff much more for whiffing on recruiting this position so consistently. Undersized guys like crow are such a long shot to be high impact WR. The best case scenario for a guy like that would be something like what Austin Conway accomplished...decent career...nothing to write home about.

BTW...pointing out that the WR position is a black hole of low talent does not take the staff off the hook...who do you think recruits these guys? Who do you think develops these guys? What WR, in the Bohl era, had talent that just leapt off the screen, but was kept down by an inept offense? I'll be generous and rate them as just below mediocre.
While overall I do think the talent is really low at the WR spot, Neyor is very good and if utilized properly could be another great. Also, I don't think we have a good metric on what talent we have since they seem to be played based on blocking ability first and catching/route running second. Alex Brown looks the part, but rarely played or thrown to. Josh Cobbs had really good numbers coming out of high school and saw the field as a true frosh, but again wasn't utilized much when he was out there.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

PokeNer wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:38 am While overall I do think the talent is really low at the WR spot, Neyor is very good and if utilized properly could be another great. Also, I don't think we have a good metric on what talent we have since they seem to be played based on blocking ability first and catching/route running second. Alex Brown looks the part, but rarely played or thrown to. Josh Cobbs had really good numbers coming out of high school and saw the field as a true frosh, but again wasn't utilized much when he was out there.
Agreed...and this just highlights the problem with the WR position. During the Bohl tenure...it has been a bunch of guys that, if "utilized properly" could be good. There are WR out there, (and in previous years, some have been cowboys), that are gifted in a way that does not require them to be "utilized properly". Would the receivers have looked better if they had been coached by the best offensive minds?..Of course...but even in that case, I'm not seeing much raw talent.

Neyor looks pretty good...definitely has more physical tools than most of the rest of them. He obviously would benefit from some top level instruction...but that won't happen in Laramie right now.