Tim Polasek

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WindRiverPoke
Buckaroo

Tim Polasek will be the new OC at Wyoming.
WindRiverPoke
Buckaroo

Per Adam Rittenberg’s twitter account.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

The speed of this hire tells me that this has been in the works. Given Polasek's NSDSU background and experience with TE, FB and OL groups in his career, the hire makes a ton of sense.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

This hire is a home run. Very impressive.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

carbonpoke wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:11 pm This hire is a home run. Very impressive.
On paper, Agreed!
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:09 pm The speed of this hire tells me that this has been in the works. Given Polasek's NSDSU background and experience with TE, FB and OL groups in his career, the hire makes a ton of sense.
Sure seems like it. He's supposedly making $325K at Iowa, so he's likely taking a pay cut to come here. I wonder if Bohl had given some ultimatums to Vigen and had Polasek ready to go.

It's an interesting hire, and not really my preferred guy, but hopefully it works out.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

PokeNer wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:13 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:09 pm The speed of this hire tells me that this has been in the works. Given Polasek's NSDSU background and experience with TE, FB and OL groups in his career, the hire makes a ton of sense.
Sure seems like it. He's supposedly making $325K at Iowa, so he's likely taking a pay cut to come here. I wonder if Bohl had given some ultimatums to Vigen and had Polasek ready to go.

It's an interesting hire, and not really my preferred guy, but hopefully it works out.
He was set to make $440,000 at Iowa this year. This is an incredible hire. I am curious what the contract will be.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sport ... 450467001/
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Those salaries at Iowa are pretty insane and make me depressed.
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

A Big Ten hire truly is an eye opener, and yes to make around 400k in Laramie that's a good thing. Cya Vigen we can hope we see results next year and the next few years. Good hire(we can hope)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Seems kinda ''meh'', almost like nothing is going to change. If you feel this is a great hire why do you feel that way?
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:50 pm Seems kinda ''meh'', almost like nothing is going to change. If you feel this is a great hire why do you feel that way?
Considering the Ringolsby candidate from the MAC, and the very real possibility of yet another FCS hire, I'd call a B1G hire pretty solid. He coached an o-line that helped produce just under 32 points per game. Now, does that mean the offensive world of Wyoming Cowboys football has changed? That remains to be seen.

I will say, it appears as though Bohl had his finger on the trigger even before Vigen got the Bobcats' job. That could be an indication that he knows a serious change was needed for the sake of his job.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

Wyovanian wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:53 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:50 pm Seems kinda ''meh'', almost like nothing is going to change. If you feel this is a great hire why do you feel that way?
Considering the Ringolsby candidate from the MAC, and the very real possibility of yet another FCS hire, I'd call a B1G hire pretty solid. He coached an o-line that helped produce just under 32 points per game. Now, does that mean the offensive world of Wyoming Cowboys football has changed? That remains to be seen.

I will say, it appears as though Bohl had his finger on the trigger even before Vigen got the Bobcats' job. That could be an indication that he knows a serious change was needed for the sake of his job.
To be a fly on the wall in Bohl's office. Polasek was a serious candidate for MSU as well. Was Vigen already out the door, or being demoted or given ultimatums he wasn't fond of? I'm wondering how much influence Bohl had on the MSU process. Did he tell Polasek to pull back on MSU, knowing he had the OC job?

None of it matters, I guess, we got the change we were hoping for. Vigen saves face and gets a nice gig as a Head Coach. Crazy how quick things change, a couple weeks ago everyone thought we were stuck with Vigen and hoping the offense was sufficiently "re-engineered." Now we have a new OC that COULD bring about the change we need to compete for MW titles.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Bohl needs to be 100 % hands off when it comes to the offense. He has to realize this by now
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

He is relatively young (41). He is a former quarterback with understanding of the position. He won two National Championships as NDSU's offensive coordinator in his 3 seasons in the position averaging 30+ points a game. He developed tackle Tristan Wirfs (did you watch the super bowl) and others . He is part of an Iowa offensive staff that averaged 32 points per game in the Big 10 the past couple of years while running a pro-style ground and pound type offense. In his career, he has coached all of the position groups on the offense other than receivers. He helped turned Carson Wentz into the #1pick in the NFL draft.

My god, what is not to like about this hire? Were you expecting Nick Saban? Were you expecting Bohl to abandon his coaching philosophy for the air raid?

EDIT: Oh yea, do you remember that game in 2017 where Iowa's offensive line manhandled Wyoming's defense loaded with NFL talent. I was there. I can't get the announcer stating 'Akrum Wadley rushes to the right for 5 years' out of my head. Because it was ALL GAME!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Aside from what has been said so far, I think he'll relate well to the type of kids Bohl is recruiting.

Seems like a good fit all the way around. More than playcalling, the offense needs a recruiting boost, better player development particularly at QB, and a change of culture to play a little looser.

The boost on offense will happen in the offseason much more so than x and o on game day, imo.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

If he has one or two good years, he's gone to a p5 team again.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

'PokeForLife wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:02 am If he has one or two good years, he's gone to a p5 team again.
Or maybe Bohl hangs it up and he becomes Wyoming's head coach. Bohl won't be coaching very many more years. Vigen was slated to be the guy in waiting but it became apparent that he had very little chance for that (so he went to Montana State and Bohl did not have to part ways with his friend).
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:10 am
'PokeForLife wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:02 am If he has one or two good years, he's gone to a p5 team again.
Or maybe Bohl hangs it up and he becomes Wyoming's head coach. Bohl won't be coaching very many more years. Vigen was slated to be the guy in waiting but it became apparent that he had very little chance for that (so he went to Montana State and Bohl did not have to part ways with his friend).
Even if that were to happen...the overall perceived talent on the Wyoming coaching staff will not increase or even stay steady as long as we have a successful season or seasons. If he's great...It will be noticed and he'll get poached.

Steady program improvement seems pretty impossible given that improvement past a certain point results in a talent exodus from the staff which will stall or reverse the improvement.

I want to be be more excited about the program but I just don't see a realistic path to sustained success. It seems like the best we can hope for is a spike of success...and that spike seems to be not very high anymore.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:43 am
He is relatively young (41). He is a former quarterback with understanding of the position. He won two National Championships as NDSU's offensive coordinator in his 3 seasons in the position averaging 30+ points a game. He developed tackle Tristan Wirfs (did you watch the super bowl) and others . He is part of an Iowa offensive staff that averaged 32 points per game in the Big 10 the past couple of years while running a pro-style ground and pound type offense. In his career, he has coached all of the position groups on the offense other than receivers. He helped turned Carson Wentz into the #1pick in the NFL draft.

My god, what is not to like about this hire? Were you expecting Nick Saban? Were you expecting Bohl to abandon his coaching philosophy for the air raid?

EDIT: Oh yea, do you remember that game in 2017 where Iowa's offensive line manhandled Wyoming's defense loaded with NFL talent. I was there. I can't get the announcer stating 'Akrum Wadley rushes to the right for 5 years' out of my head. Because it was ALL GAME!!
K. That's good.

Yes, I was hoping that Bohl would get away from ground and pound and I was hoping that he'd hire someone that he is not very familiar with and older and more experienced at the FBS level. IMO Bohl needs someone that will truly challenge his archaic offensive outlook. This does not seem like that guy. This seems like a guy that will just do what Bohl wants. The age difference is significant and I don't see someone that young standing up to Bohl's strong personality. Like, is Bohl going to blow a gasket when we don't run it up the middle? Is this guy going to cower to Bohl and run A-gap for 50 times in a row because he's scared to call something different?

Here's to hoping Bohl is truly open to a more modern offense. And here's to hoping this is the homerun that some think it is. And here's to hoping that we can have at least a middle of the road offense.