Any thoughts on Supreme Court ruling?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

I'm not sure it is as game altering as some media outlets are portraying. However, it definitely stands to increase the cost of student athletes across the board (Title IX considerations) which might be a challenge at smaller revenue/budget schools.

The elephant in the room is still what Kavanaugh mentions. The average NFL career is only 3 years +/- and colleges are depriving all athletes from capitalizing on the revenue generated as a result of those players' services. A highly talented player making more during college in combination with a short NFL career still sets them up better than relying on NFL salary only. I also understand that the name on the front of the jersey in college athletics is more important than the name on the back (differs significantly from the pros).

Between this, profiting from image, and new transfer rules, we are getting closer and closer to free agency. Just rambling, I don't know what to think about all this but I do think it will be worse for college football overall--at least from this fan's perspective. I also support many of the changes because I understand how some of the previous rules were unfair to the athletes.

Messy and lots of changes down the road.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 15 times

I think it will accelerate the already large arms race.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I'm curious to see what will happen in regards to taxes with NIL. Also, if athletes start getting paid, what will be taxed? Just additional income on top of the scholarship, or will the value of the scholarship become taxable as well?

An athlete with a scholly worth $40K and then making another $10K in NIL and pay is gonna owe a bit in taxes. Probably something most student- athletes aren't thinking about in advance.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:08 pm I'm curious to see what will happen in regards to taxes with NIL. Also, if athletes start getting paid, what will be taxed? Just additional income on top of the scholarship, or will the value of the scholarship become taxable as well?

An athlete with a scholly worth $40K and then making another $10K in NIL and pay is gonna owe a bit in taxes. Probably something most student- athletes aren't thinking about in advance.
I've been on several sites talking about the ruling and NOBODY even mentioned anything about taxes. Good point, WestWYOPoke. :thumb: :thumb:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

Wyokie wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:00 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:08 pm I'm curious to see what will happen in regards to taxes with NIL. Also, if athletes start getting paid, what will be taxed? Just additional income on top of the scholarship, or will the value of the scholarship become taxable as well?

I've been on several sites talking about the ruling and NOBODY even mentioned anything about taxes. Good point, WestWYOPoke. :thumb: :thumb:
Room and board is taxable and has always been taxable. Laptops, books, and supplies related to class work are never taxable.
If an athlete gets cash in any form for jersey sales, it will be taxable. Frankly, until a single person's income reaches about 12k, they will owe zero tax. So this isn't going to be a consideration for very many athletes.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Pandora's Box has been opened. College football & basketball as we know it will only be viable for the elite schools. I predict a 25% reduction in schools electing to field football teams in the next 20 years. Other factors are at work as well. Younger generations do not have as much interest in traditional sports as we do. Soccer is the one the exception (no clue why)

The real fix would be to force the NFL and NBA to create minor leagues in the same structure MLB has. A player can sign a minor league contract out of high school or choose to go to college. This would be bring back the true "student-athlete" to college athletics. This is the only way to reel this back in. Money is the root of the problem.
I'm good for 3!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I trust that capitalism will find a way. It's what it does best.

Hell, there may be situations where they find a way to get commission for players in a way that benefits both smaller programs AND the players.

As for why fewer kids play football, is it really a surprise? Half a dozen years ago my hairdresser's kid was headed to Nebraska before his HS coach put him back on the field despite an obvious concussion... and he took another hit. He's 23 now with lingering cognitive issues.

My son's hockey and baseball teams have lots of kids who play flag football, but I know several of the parents aren't going to let them play contact football once they get to that age.

And I'm not gonna lie... I will probably pull my son from hockey if he ends up with a serious concussion as well. It's really freaking hard to balance risk vs how much he loves the game. I'm glad they banned checking from rec hockey here as there were plenty of kids playing just to light other kids up. In competitive, there's a vested interest in playing hard AND clean, so form and technique for hitting matters a lot... but that obviously still doesn't completely eliminate the risk.

I wonder if football will do something similar.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

I'm guessing that schools like Wyoming will essentially be farm programs for the big schools. If we get a stud qb who plays great as a freshman or soph., other schools will lure him away. This was happening anyway but the lure of more money will probably accelerate the process.

Another aspect is how this will affect all the non revenue sports. If football and basketball become less profitable to the schools, it's going to be hard to fund all the other sports necessary to comply with title 9 and D1 standards. Small schools will have to schedule annual curb stompings from the big boys just to raise some cash.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:03 am Small schools will have to schedule annual curb stompings from the big boys just to raise some cash.
I'm also worried that expanding the playoff might make those games less accessible because the big boys will schedule each other OOC more (IMO that's one of the big drivers for the expanded playoffs---more marquee non-conference games for better TV the first 4 weeks) . The fear of a loss or two isn't as big because you know you still have a chance by winning the conference.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Cornpoke wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:55 am Pandora's Box has been opened. College football & basketball as we know it will only be viable for the elite schools. I predict a 25% reduction in schools electing to field football teams in the next 20 years. Other factors are at work as well. Younger generations do not have as much interest in traditional sports as we do. Soccer is the one the exception (no clue why)

The real fix would be to force the NFL and NBA to create minor leagues in the same structure MLB has. A player can sign a minor league contract out of high school or choose to go to college. This would be bring back the true "student-athlete" to college athletics. This is the only way to reel this back in. Money is the root of the problem.
NHL has a good structure too. Either would probably work better than what college is turning into.
W-Y, Until I Die!