First Realignment rumor of the 2020s

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Wyokie wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:19 am
aranderson wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:26 am
Yes but the big rumor floating around now is Kansas is seeking to move to the BIG. They are themselves actively seeking that move. The Big 12 is falling apart and the MWC had better be ready to pick up the pieces and position themselves properly.
Plus Iowa State wants to go to the Big Ten as well.

West Virginia, which NEVER made ANY sense going to the Big 12, needs to get their butts into the ACC ASAP!!!!
Do those teams add money to each team in the league they're joining? Kansas might. The B1G already has Iowa so ISU doesn't add anything. The ACC already passed on WVU.

I dont think this is going to stop at 4 leagues. At some point the B1G will take the top off the Pac and drop the dead weight. The Sec will do the same to the ACC.

It basically a competition between the SEC and B1G.

I do think the NCAA is going to split the top division into the B1G and Sec and everyone that gets dumped from the other leagues plus us.

I also see my passion for college athletics dying on the vine with each of these greedy land grabs.

The whole thing makes me sick to realize that the only thing that matters in this country is money, cheaters usually win, and if you aren't the richest guy on the block you're giving your money plus a lifetime of labor to someone that is.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Old-Bull wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:16 pm The whole thing makes me sick to realize that the only thing that matters in this country is money, cheaters usually win, and if you aren't the richest guy on the block you're giving your money plus a lifetime of labor to someone that is.
Aint Capitalism wonderful?!!!! :rofl: :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Old-Bull wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:16 pm
Yes but the big rumor floating around now is Kansas is seeking to move to the BIG. They are themselves actively seeking that move. The Big 12 is falling apart and the MWC had better be ready to pick up the pieces and position themselves properly.

West Virginia, which NEVER made ANY sense going to the Big 12, needs to get their butts into the ACC ASAP!!!!
Do those teams add money to each team in the league they're joining? Kansas might. The B1G already has Iowa so ISU doesn't add anything. The ACC already passed on WVU.

I dont think this is going to stop at 4 leagues. At some point the B1G will take the top off the Pac and drop the dead weight. The Sec will do the same to the ACC.
Adding value to TV contracts was last alignment. There are only 2 or 3 major players in the CFB TV biz, and, if you pulled the curtain back, they'd be driving the bus. The Big12 teams add value by blowing up the Big12 when they leave. That eliminates the TV contact and eliminates being in the awkward position of having an extremely weak autonomous conference. The legal implications of kicking them out of the P5 would be large.

Eliminating the Big12 is the value in getting the castoffs placed. The new P4 will remain with the revamped NCAA for the time being. The next round will be a complete break from the NCAA and a contraction in team numbers. The value will be in streamed content for big name matchups and the playoffs. Fewer teams means more money for the big dogs.

4 power conferences of 16 teams seems most likely at this point, imo.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:47 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:16 pm

Adding value to TV contracts was last alignment. There are only 2 or 3 major players in the CFB TV biz, and, if you pulled the curtain back, they'd be driving the bus. The Big12 teams add value by blowing up the Big12 when they leave. That eliminates the TV contact and eliminates being in the awkward position of having an extremely weak autonomous conference. The legal implications of kicking them out of the P5 would be large.

Eliminating the Big12 is the value in getting the castoffs placed. The new P4 will remain with the revamped NCAA for the time being. The next round will be a complete break from the NCAA and a contraction in team numbers. The value will be in streamed content for big name matchups and the playoffs. Fewer teams means more money for the big dogs.

4 power conferences of 16 teams seems most likely at this point, imo.
I understand what you are writing and agree this is likely the thinking and motivation of the people behind this. For discussion though, I think they are mistaken on increasing value. Already we are seeing signs of diminishing returns, down ratings, and these are all happening with a contraction of talent and competition. Those big markets still need teams to play, and as they contract they kick out fans and eyeballs. As it gets more and more a handful of localized teams and lack of competition, value will not be added, or at least not as much as if you had a wider more vibrant competitive field. Also, people are getting bored by Bama, Clemson, Ohio St. Competitive games across the geographical spectrum is what would bring in the most eyeballs. Widening the gap between the haves and have nots and contracting teams is going reduce the regional footprint, reduce competition, and kill the goose.

Honestly though with the way college football is going, I might prefer Wyoming playing a more local conference with easy to access games to watch and afford to take the family to. I am not advocating the MWC or Wyoming fold and not fight for more access, just a comment I don't particularly care for the trend FBS is currently on and is losing a lot of what made it special in the first place. :twocents:
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

Expat_Poke wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:37 am Honestly though with the way college football is going, I might prefer Wyoming playing a more local conference with easy to access games to watch and afford to take the family to. I am not advocating the MWC or Wyoming fold and not fight for more access, just a comment I don't particularly care for the trend FBS is currently on and is losing a lot of what made it special in the first place. :twocents:
Hit the nail on the head for me.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

sandiegopoke wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:10 pm
Expat_Poke wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:37 am Honestly though with the way college football is going, I might prefer Wyoming playing a more local conference with easy to access games to watch and afford to take the family to. I am not advocating the MWC or Wyoming fold and not fight for more access, just a comment I don't particularly care for the trend FBS is currently on and is losing a lot of what made it special in the first place. :twocents:
Hit the nail on the head for me.
He certainly did. Clemson/Alabama XX going to be lit though!

I certainly agree as the gap widens, the fan pool shrinks. There’s also no magic. People would watch a Cinderella play a big boy in the playoff. Can’t imagine the same 4-5 teams playing each other would be very exciting.

Boise/Utah bcs games are the most memorable for me besides Wyoming games
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Expat_Poke wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:37 am
I understand what you are writing and agree this is likely the thinking and motivation of the people behind this. For discussion though, I think they are mistaken on increasing value. Already we are seeing signs of diminishing returns, down ratings, and these are all happening with a contraction of talent and competition. Those big markets still need teams to play, and as they contract they kick out fans and eyeballs. As it gets more and more a handful of localized teams and lack of competition, value will not be added, or at least not as much as if you had a wider more vibrant competitive field. Also, people are getting bored by Bama, Clemson, Ohio St. Competitive games across the geographical spectrum is what would bring in the most eyeballs. Widening the gap between the haves and have nots and contracting teams is going reduce the regional footprint, reduce competition, and kill the goose.
I think that is a wildcard. Will the new model capture and sustain enough interst to be a cash cow? I'm starting to wonder if consolidation of top teams will happen sooner than later?
It'll be interesting to see what happens with castoffs and streaming options. Getting content to viewers isn't as hard as it used to be. Will we see new opportunities for the second tier?
If they break away, I hope everyone fights like heck to instate strict transfer rules. We can't allow them to use us as a farm league. I'm sure nothing we can do but that will be the most detrimental to us, imo.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I obviously was way off on my prediction, at least in the short-term. If reports are true, it looks as if the B12 is going with byu, Houston, Cinci, and UCF (all or in some combination).

If that is true and they poach all those teams, it does 2 things: greatly weakens the AAC and potentially weakening the WCC. Is this something the MWC can capitalize on or best to just stay put? We'll be the strongest remaining G5 team (unless they relegate B12 to the G6) so that would mean we are almost guaranteed an Access Bowl every year.

I could definitely see a play to increase bball (by a lot). Add Tulsa (or someone) and Memphis (before anyone says anything, Memphis is about the same distance as SUDS) and roll them on the Mtn division (moving BSU and USU to the West). Make a play for the Zags and 1 other for 14 teams in football and 16 in bball?

Not well thought out on my part yet, but if the B12 makes those moves, the MWC might be able to strengthen. DISCLAIMER: not necessarily advocating this; just thinking while typing, lol.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I hope Gonzaga is in play. That would be a feather in our cap
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:35 pm I hope Gonzaga is in play. That would be a feather in our cap
Definitely. I also wonder how this will impact future schedules? We have a few teams slated that are in the realignment scenarios.

Complete speculation on this next part but it wouldn't surprise me. We'll probably go to provo next year then the damn pukes from utah will use realignment as an excuse to not come to Laramie. I'll bet there is a clause in the contract so they won't even have to buy out. I'll never forgive Burman for scheduling them.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:21 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:35 pm I hope Gonzaga is in play. That would be a feather in our cap
Definitely. I also wonder how this will impact future schedules? We have a few teams slated that are in the realignment scenarios.

Complete speculation on this next part but it wouldn't surprise me. We'll probably go to provo next year then the damn pukes from utah will use realignment as an excuse to not come to Laramie. I'll bet there is a clause in the contract so they won't even have to buy out. I'll never forgive Burman for scheduling them.
Ugh. Didn’t think about that. That would be the ultimate kick in the nuts
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:18 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:21 am

Ugh. Didn’t think about that. That would be the ultimate kick in the nuts
But...if we were to actually beat them in Provo for the 1st time since 1987...... :D :D
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

This is out there and won't happen, but honestly, something like this wouldn't bother me as long as we still played the P5, were in FBS, and maintained some sort of spot(s) in the Access Bowls.

Many schools (looking at bsu, csu, sdsu, and all of the aac) still have the delusion that there is some mythical "exposure, market, tv money, etc." rabbit to chase. They haven't recognized that era is over for the remaining G5 teams and may be over for many P5 teams in the coming years (b12, cough, cough).

https://sports.yahoo.com/alabama-aside- ... 04848.html
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

My thoughts:

1) NIL changes the landscape completely
2) It is just a matter of time before the so-called P5 break away - (As you will read over and over again in this post, I think the G5 + higher tier FCS need to hasten the flip and take control over their own destiny for once and not beg for table scraps from the P5. I think Cinci, BYU, Houston and UCF are making a monumental mistake, but any circumstance that leads to BYU taking a high hard one to the head is AOK with me)
3) It wouldn't surprise me to see four 16-Team conferences as an NFL lite - the dogs in the manger (i.e. Purdue, Rutgers, Northwestern, Arizona, Vandy) may find a pink tag in their lockers over time (see #5 and #7 below)
4) The rest of us will then have to be assertive and direct to reconstitute and rebrand ourselves as the "real" college football - which will require us to put some limits on NIL and, above all, constrain transfers to the NFL lite
5) NFL lite will plow along and make a ton of money in the short-run, but over the long-haul, outside of the bigger fish, the hangers-on will become meaningless, leading the top tier of the 16 team leagues to want to add by subtracting because, well, greed is what runs those programs now
6) Can't say this loudly enough, if we are smart, the "real" college football crowd will brand accordingly and build market-share and revenues
7) NFL lite will lose its luster and get their collective tax exempt status yanked. Once that happens, the dogs in the manger I mentioned earlier will be even a bigger drag on NFL lite and will be voted off the island for sure

There is a lot to the adage that pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. It will take a while, but the P5 hogs are fattening up nicely.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I've been anti-expansion since the Wac 16 but I've changed my opinion recently. Expansion is a long way from over. We're almost forced to expand now so we can get the teams we want in BEFORE we get gutted again and lose Boise, SDSU....

Since that's the case I think we should add to get to 16 in each sport. All sports teams: SMU, Memphis, Tulsa. Football only: Navy. Basketball only: Wichita St, Gonzaga.

It would gut the AAC and ensure the MWC is the conference left standing after the Big 12 raids us again in a few years.

At this point it's all about survival and the MWC needs to do everything possible to ensure we have a conference moving forward.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Old-Bull wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:25 pm I've been anti-expansion since the Wac 16 but I've changed my opinion recently. Expansion is a long way from over. We're almost forced to expand now so we can get the teams we want in BEFORE we get gutted again and lose Boise, SDSU....

Since that's the case I think we should add to get to 16 in each sport. All sports teams: SMU, Memphis, Tulsa. Football only: Navy. Basketball only: Wichita St, Gonzaga.

It would gut the AAC and ensure the MWC is the conference left standing after the Big 12 raids us again in a few years.

At this point it's all about survival and the MWC needs to do everything possible to ensure we have a conference moving forward.
It sounds like Big 12 isn't done with their invites to BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF. Memphis and Boise are the likely next candidates if you are to believe rumors, though lots of teams are in that rumor mill, including the sheep and Air Force.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:58 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:25 pm I've been anti-expansion since the Wac 16 but I've changed my opinion recently. Expansion is a long way from over. We're almost forced to expand now so we can get the teams we want in BEFORE we get gutted again and lose Boise, SDSU....

It sounds like Big 12 isn't done with their invites to BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF. Memphis and Boise are the likely next candidates if you are to believe rumors, though lots of teams are in that rumor mill, including the sheep and Air Force.
Yeah. I think that will likely happen. So expansion to 16 sets us up for the steps that follow. If Memphis and Boise leave then we can add Utep and NDSU. If we don't add those teams now, then most teams aren't going to want to make a lateral move to a gutted MWC.

We need to seperate ourselves from the other G5 leagues now and demolish the AAC in the process. It wouldn't be a bad idead to establish an eastern division in Texas either. That way when further moves happen we can invite teams to fill the gaps. There aren't any teams left out west, so we need to go into Texas to establish an eastern footprint.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Looks like BYU, UCF, Cinci and Houston are gone to the Big 12. Time to strike while the American is down and scoop up the leftovers. Pick up Tulsa and SMU + Wichita State for basketball. 14 team conference that immediately becomes the best G5 league in the country,
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:17 am Looks like BYU, UCF, Cinci and Houston are gone to the Big 12. Time to strike while the American is down and scoop up the leftovers. Pick up Tulsa and SMU + Wichita State for basketball. 14 team conference that immediately becomes the best G5 league in the country,
I think the Sun Belt might be the best the last year or two and maybe this year? I haven't really paid attention to them this year, so I don't know on that.