Bohl’s deepest team ever

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

He said this today. Hopefully it translates to some wins
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

That's just coachspeak. They ALL say that!!!!!

I'll believe it when I see it.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Wyokie wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:13 pm That's just coachspeak. They ALL say that!!!!!

I don’t know all of Bohl’s teams at other schools. Since I have been following Wyoming, there has never been a deeper and more experienced team. That is why I optimistically predicted 10 wins.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:51 pm
Wyokie wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:13 pm That's just coachspeak. They ALL say that!!!!!

I don’t know all of Bohl’s teams at other schools. Since I have been following Wyoming, there has never been a deeper and more experienced team. That is why I optimistically predicted 10 wins.
All head coaches say the usual "this is the deepest one yet" or whatever to the media. Basic coachspeak. My theory...to get more people to buy season tickets.

Until we actually get 10 wins or more and/or an outright conference championship for the first time since 1988, I aint holding my breath. As I said before...I'll believe when I see it!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

It seems it should be purdy deep, BUT it's Year 8 so it's definitely time to see more fruit for all the labors, and they should go 9-3
We'll see how good Bohl should be or without Viggi but Im ready, its time no more excuses
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Wyokie wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:33 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:51 pm

All head coaches say the usual "this is the deepest one yet" or whatever to the media. Basic coachspeak. My theory...to get more people to buy season tickets.

Until we actually get 10 wins or more and/or an outright conference championship for the first time since 1988, I aint holding my breath. As I said before...I'll believe when I see it!
Or you can also look at the roster and depth chart and see the game experience of the players at the various positions to draw your own conclusions.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

We automatically assume that number of years in our system automatically translates into quality of player. That's not always the case. I don't really believe our O line is just going to dominate JUST because of experience when they weren't able to do it in the past with the same players and when people were saying all the same things about them. Maybe Polasek changes that, but I'm starting to get worried that we're not really gonna change much on offense and Bohls gonna make Polasek run Vigen 2.0, or maybe it really has been Bohl ball all along.

Until it happens, it's all just people yapping. Obviously I want to be proven wrong, but I've heard enough over the years and seen enough overly optimistic poke fans year in and year out, you can't help but be suspicious.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Rich K
Buckaroo

While Bohl's proclamation that his team is the deepest it's ever been might just be rhetoric, it better be true. Practically every college football team will be deeper than normal as the NCAA granted an extra year of eligibility for the 2020 season. Roster sizes are exploding all across the nation. Check out this article https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/20/n ... 0allotment.
I'm not sure how the Poke's roster size compares to normal years, but I would expect it to be larger than normal. The next couple years are going to be harsh on a number of good players as roster sizes return to normal.

Anybody know if the above holds true for the Cowboys?
BeachPoke
Ranch Hand

As far as I’m concerned this year should be different. Better be…..the 2 changes on the OL coach Frazier & OC Polasek will make the difference. A monkey could of called a better game than Vigen. From what I’ve heard and read there is a different feeling on the offensive side of the ball this year. Shouldn’t take much to improve on what we did a couple years ago to be better. Execution will be the key.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:04 am We automatically assume that number of years in our system automatically translates into quality of player. That's not always the case. I don't really believe our O line is just going to dominate JUST because of experience when they weren't able to do it in the past with the same players and when people were saying all the same things about them. Maybe Polasek changes that, but I'm starting to get worried that we're not really gonna change much on offense and Bohls gonna make Polasek run Vigen 2.0, or maybe it really has been Bohl ball all along.

Until it happens, it's all just people yapping. Obviously I want to be proven wrong, but I've heard enough over the years and seen enough overly optimistic poke fans year in and year out, you can't help but be suspicious.
I am hearing all the optimistic chatter as well. I think harsh reality is going to set in for a lot of programs that feel more experienced/deep than they have in years due to the extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA. It seems like that won't really translate into an advantage for any particular team though because, in theory, that rising tide will have lifted all boats.

What does it mean that this is the most experienced/deep team at Wyoming in years when that will be true for almost everybody on our schedule?
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

bullbugle307 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:04 am We automatically assume that number of years in our system automatically translates into quality of player. That's not always the case. I don't really believe our O line is just going to dominate JUST because of experience when they weren't able to do it in the past with the same players and when people were saying all the same things about them. Maybe Polasek changes that, but I'm starting to get worried that we're not really gonna change much on offense and Bohls gonna make Polasek run Vigen 2.0, or maybe it really has been Bohl ball all along.

I laugh when people mention how good the offensive line is supposed to be. What have they done to warrant that? They were bad last year and it wasn't a fluke. They just lacked execution. Another year of seasoning doesn't change the fact that they aren't the most talented group. They're an experienced group of mediocre offensive linemen. Maybe the new coordinator puts them in a place to be successful but I don't see any reason to be talking them up as one of the better groups in the conference. They haven't earned it. It's all building hype for the season to keep fans coming back each year.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

💯 Agree. Put up or shut up.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

phxpoke wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:25 pm

💯 Agree. Put up or shut up.
My take. I thought the guys did well at times individually but didn't necessarily function well as a unit. Some of that is scheme and some is likely experience. That is why I believe the O line will be much improved this year. Also, they are thrown in a tough spot where the defense largely knew what types of plays were going to be ran and didn't really have to think that much on the defensive side of the ball. I think that also changes this year.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

All FBS teams are deeper this year, who are we kidding. The teams that excel, will be the ones that realize this, and have to up their overall game to a higher level. If UW thinks they are competing like 2019, we are in deep f-word trouble.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Article about most stable program (also discussed below) https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... erformance

One metric is roster stability which measures returning productivity. Though in the paragraph they incorrectly state Wisconsin instead of Wyoming is at the top of this metric, it does indicate that relative to other programs, Bohl does have more returning players that contributed in previous years than other programs. Granted I have no idea how they calculated that, but I'm too damn lazy to go run through any sort of similar analysis for even the MWC let alone all of CFB. Thus, I'm taking their word for it :lol:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:16 am Article about most stable program (also discussed below) https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... erformance

One metric is roster stability which measures returning productivity. Though in the paragraph they incorrectly state Wisconsin instead of Wyoming is at the top of this metric, it does indicate that relative to other programs, Bohl does have more returning players that contributed in previous years than other programs. Granted I have no idea how they calculated that, but I'm too damn lazy to go run through any sort of similar analysis for even the MWC let alone all of CFB. Thus, I'm taking their word for it :lol:
Huh...well... there you go! Maybe they aren't just blowing smoke.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I think that article about program stability was written by someone that did exactly one year of research, during a season effected by covid. They obviously missed us having to replace key defensive coaches every few seasons for the entire Bohl tenure. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing: it means Bohl is good at hiring defensive coaches. I just don't think we have as much stability as people imply.

I do think we're incredibly deep. Yes, everyone is deep this year because everyone got an extra year of eligibility. There are levels to that and I think Wyoming is at the top of that level. Not everyone decided to use their extra year of eligibility. Some left for the draft. Some just moved on. Not everyone came back. Everyone on our team came back. We weren't going to lose a lot last season even without Covid, so we would have been pretty deep in comparison anyway.

As far as the offensive line is concerned, they were disappointing last year. Some of that was performance. Some of that was having a bunch of unexpected losses right before the season started. Patrick Arnold leaving, another injury to Velazquez.....etc. Even though they had depth, they still lost 3 or 4 guys out of the rotation. I guess depth should have minimized that effect and it didn't, but I'm not ready to say the offensive line isn't talented, especially with the circumstances last season.

We'll see though. The pressure is on for Bohl. Anything less than 9 wins is going to be considered failure. If Polasek struggles and they can't make significant improvements in the passing game it's going to point the finger squarely at Bohl. If Polasek isn't any better at developing our qb's than Vigen was maybe that shows that we haven't been good at identifying qb talent.

This will be an interesting season for Wyoming. If Bohl's seat isn't hot yet it's because of the increase in attendance he's managed to orchestrate, but that's only going to last so long. His seat might not be hot yet but he's sitting on a huge pile of firewood soaked in gasoline and people have their matches in hand.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Old-Bull wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:26 pm I think that article about program stability was written by someone that did exactly one year of research, during a season effected by covid. They obviously missed us having to replace key defensive coaches every few seasons for the entire Bohl tenure. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing: it means Bohl is good at hiring defensive coaches. I just don't think we have as much stability as people imply.

I do think we're incredibly deep. Yes, everyone is deep this year because everyone got an extra year of eligibility. There are levels to that and I think Wyoming is at the top of that level. Not everyone decided to use their extra year of eligibility. Some left for the draft. Some just moved on. Not everyone came back. Everyone on our team came back. We weren't going to lose a lot last season even without Covid, so we would have been pretty deep in comparison anyway.

As far as the offensive line is concerned, they were disappointing last year. Some of that was performance. Some of that was having a bunch of unexpected losses right before the season started. Patrick Arnold leaving, another injury to Velazquez.....etc. Even though they had depth, they still lost 3 or 4 guys out of the rotation. I guess depth should have minimized that effect and it didn't, but I'm not ready to say the offensive line isn't talented, especially with the circumstances last season.

We'll see though. The pressure is on for Bohl. Anything less than 9 wins is going to be considered failure. If Polasek struggles and they can't make significant improvements in the passing game it's going to point the finger squarely at Bohl. If Polasek isn't any better at developing our qb's than Vigen was maybe that shows that we haven't been good at identifying qb talent.

This will be an interesting season for Wyoming. If Bohl's seat isn't hot yet it's because of the increase in attendance he's managed to orchestrate, but that's only going to last so long. His seat might not be hot yet but he's sitting on a huge pile of firewood soaked in gasoline and people have their matches in hand.
Man...9 wins would be great. I'm always amazed at how accurate the sports books betting stuff on season wins is. From what I've seen...the O/U for Wyoming is at 8 with the under getting the most action as of right now.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

I would bet the under too. (I hope I'm wrong). I see us getting our 8th win if we win our bowl game.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

I guess, with Hicks leaving yesterday - we get to hold 'ol Bohly to his word. Deepest team ever. :whistle:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...