Charles Hicks is leaving.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

He just entered the transfer portal. I don't know how much longer I'm going to be a fan of college athletics, but the clock is ticking.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:45 pm Keith Kelley broke the news. Hicks entered the transfer portal.

I don't know how much longer I'm going to be a fan of college athletics, but the clock is ticking.
2 weeks into fall camp, and he pulls the plug on his career as a Wyoming Cowboy? Hopefully there is a legit reason (family, health, etc.).

f-word the portal. And f-word college football. :willybs:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:52 pm
Old-Bull wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:45 pm Keith Kelley broke the news. Hicks entered the transfer portal.

I don't know how much longer I'm going to be a fan of college athletics, but the clock is ticking.
2 weeks into fall camp, and he pulls the plug on his career as a Wyoming Cowboy? Hopefully there is a legit reason (family, health, etc.).

[#]f##k the portal. And [#]f##k college football. :willybs:
Yeah, he tweeted a "Thank You" and something about it being "Gods Plan". He said it was due to "circumstances". I'll bet God had nothing to do with him breaking his commitment, selling out his word, or f'ing over his teammates. I would bet money had more to do with it then God did.

With two weeks to go before the season starts you would think he already has something lined up.

Thank god we still have Easton Gibbs.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:55 pm
With two weeks to go before the season starts you would think he already has something lined up.
I think you are correct - likely SJSU from what I read on social poop media.
Dear Karma,

WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Old-Bull wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:55 pm Yeah, he tweeted a "Thank You" and something about it being "Gods Plan". He said it was due to "circumstances". I'll bet God had nothing to do with him breaking his commitment, selling out his word, or f'ing over his teammates. I would bet money had more to do with it then God did.

Thank god we still have Easton Gibbs.
The deadline to get in without having to sit out this year was July 1, so he's not going to be playing in 2021. I'm guessing he either lost the starting job to Easton Gibbs, didn't see eye-to-eye with the coaching staff for whatever reason, or both. If I were to bet I'd say it's because he isn't going to be starting over Gibbs.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

A week and a half before the season?! You picked a fine time to leave, Lucille.

Word is he was not happy that Easton Gibbs was going to come out ahead on the depth chart.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:15 pm A week and a half before the season?! You picked a fine time to leave, Lucille.

Word is he was not happy that Easton Gibbs was going to come out ahead on the depth chart.
For real? If so, that is a bush league move. Work harder, realize injuries happen, and your a LB FFS - don't be a pussyfart!!!!
Dear Karma,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:54 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:15 pm A week and a half before the season?! You picked a fine time to leave, Lucille.

For real? If so, that is a bush league move. Work harder, realize injuries happen, and your a LB FFS - don't be a pussyfart!!!!
Yeah, I don't get it. There will be PLENTY of snaps for him this year. He is our #3 LB. Can't believe he just bailed on his team. Pretty shameful.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:09 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:54 pm

Yeah, I don't get it. There will be PLENTY of snaps for him this year. He is our #3 LB. Can't believe he just bailed on his team. Pretty shameful.
Doesn't make sense at all? Not at all like he would be benched and very well could be back in a starting role after a few games.
Bruised ego?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Reading between the lines: at this time of year, most likely some kind of incident occurred and he was told he was no longer welcome.

My money is on his leaving wasn't entirely his decision.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:07 pm Reading between the lines: at this time of year, most likely some kind of incident occurred and he was told he was no longer welcome.

My money is on his leaving wasn't entirely his decision.
This was my take as well. It just doesn’t make much sense otherwise. But it is all speculation.

If a player really was to quit on his teammates a week before the season (or during the season), then I’d say good riddance because that’s not the attitude needed.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

It sounds like he lost his starting roll and quit.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Nope, seriously doubt it. In the last 3-4 years, the vast majority of UW player's that "entered the transfer portal" were actually given the boot.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:21 pm Nope, seriously doubt it. In the last 3-4 years, the vast majority of UW player's that "entered the transfer portal" were actually given the boot.
Bohl does run a tight ship, I give him that.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:21 pm Nope, seriously doubt it. In the last 3-4 years, the vast majority of UW player's that "entered the transfer portal" were actually given the boot.
That was my inclination but I'm not so sure based on Bohl's comments. Typically, Bohl says something like 'no comment' or something similar when a player leaves the team for such reasons. Bohl's responses to questions about the situation was a bit unusual as he stated "We went in and evaluated everything, that's what we do as coaches, and one guy came up on top of the depth chart ... We're going to play the best guy." Seems pretty clear that he is saying Gibbs won the spot because he is the best player.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:55 am
That was my inclination but I'm not so sure based on Bohl's comments. Typically, Bohl says something like 'no comment' or something similar when a player leaves the team for such reasons. Bohl's responses to questions about the situation was a bit unusual as he stated "We went in and evaluated everything, that's what we do as coaches, and one guy came up on top of the depth chart ... We're going to play the best guy." Seems pretty clear that he is saying Gibbs won the spot because he is the best player.
West had me convinced he did something wrong and now I’m not so sure he just didn’t take his football and go home. Being named starter is a pretty big deal when it comes to looks from the pros and post season stuff. With the transfer stuff and the money, it could be that players are more willing to leave if they’re not 100% happy. It’s a new era, past results won’t indicate future. Teams could contact players and whisper sweet nothings in their ear about starting and/or money just to get a slightly jaded player to flip. Either way, it sucks for depth. I really liked what I saw from him. I have a bad feeling about the future of college sports
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Times get tough, time to uproot, it's the new American way
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Ended up in the SEC at Mizzou.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

marcuswyo wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:17 pm Ended up in the SEC at Mizzou.
Honestly, I'm torn on these types of deals. I get the whole, stand by your team thing, but the other side is hate the game not the player. I'm afraid this "farm league" thing is going to be a bigger and bigger deal. For programs like ours (developmental program) it will hurt worse than those that have a steady pipeline of near game-ready freshman.

Did he have some indication that he could land in the SEC and needed to preserve his eligibility? If so and he thought that would be best for his career, then do you hold it against him?

At the same time, only what, 2% of college kids make the pros and their career lasts on average 2 years? It makes you wonder if they wouldn't be better staying put and building a legacy at their original University?

I don't know. I wish him the best.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Feels like we're a farm league.

This one is different than Marcus Williams, though. MArcus will probably play a lot, but what is Hicks going to do at Mizzo? He was 2nd string here and is going to be first string there? Doubtful. He'll play some special teams and that's it. They recruit HS guys that they want to develop. Grass is rarely greener.

Jevon Bigelow, the promising freshman RB we had a few years ago that transferred to Fresno, is 4th string there. It's a tough row to how if you are a transfer. Again. The grass isn't greener most of the time