Time to get back on the coaching carousel.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

man I really hoped that last year was a covid hiccup and the overall stability of Bohl was going to keep producing better results but i'm just really dissapointed right now. Bohl seems to be getting hit by the Christiansen/Glenn plateau and decline. I guess we'll know more after the season.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Honestly yes. It is stale
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:36 pm Honestly yes. It is stale
Yup...i've enjoyed the highs of the Glenn, Christiansen and Bohl eras but in each one we see a modest peak and then decline. I'm getting that familiar feeling. Time to emotionally disengage...as a fan I hate that but...can't stand watching this happen again.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

At this point, is this on the shoulders of the coaches? I mean something about this feels systemic. Was it Joe Glen that said you can't win in Laramie?..He might be right.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

I don’t buy you can’t win here. That’s rubbish. How can we put stellar defenses out in the field year after year , but not offenses. Makes no sense and Bohl needs to get his damn hands completely off the offense. Period. It’s embarrassing at this point
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:26 pm I don’t buy you can’t win here. That’s rubbish. How can we put stellar defenses out in the field year after year , but not offenses. Makes no sense and Bohl needs to get his damn hands completely off the offense. Period. It’s embarrassing at this point
I truly want it to be rubbish as well but until somebody actually wins a championship in the modern era .... It's a bit tough to say otherwise.

The better question, to me, is why are we twenty+ years removed from being relevant with no evidence that it is going to change anytime soon?

What do you see that is so convincing to you that we are some sort of slumbering powerhouse? Why is it rubbish to suspect the results from this century are actually evidence of what is actually going on and not some sort of abberation?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:36 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:26 pm I don’t buy you can’t win here. That’s rubbish. How can we put stellar defenses out in the field year after year , but not offenses. Makes no sense and Bohl needs to get his damn hands completely off the offense. Period. It’s embarrassing at this point
I truly want it to be rubbish as well but until somebody actually wins a championship in the modern era .... It's a bit tough to say otherwise.

The better question, to me, is why are we twenty+ years removed from being relevant with no evidence that it is going to change anytime soon?

What do you see that is so convincing to you that we are some sort of slumbering powerhouse? Why is it rubbish to suspect the results from this century are actually evidence of what is actually going on and not some sort of abberation?
We were a couple of plays away from the conf crown but a few years ago. Small schools have great offenses all the time. We can too. Bohl is stuck in 1964. We have plenty of players in the NFL. We have good players. Coach Bohl is the problem
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote:Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:26 pm I don’t buy you can’t win here. That’s rubbish. How can we put stellar defenses out in the field year after year , but not offenses. Makes no sense and Bohl needs to get his damn hands completely off the offense. Period. It’s embarrassing at this point
I tend to agree with you . I think someone can win here. The crowd today was really great. There is no reason why we shouldn't be better. But, I don't necessarily think it's the scheme, it's the players. They had 10 in the box today. We do not have a single receiver that can't be covered like a blanket. This reminds me of the Glen era. Defenses are going to stuff the run until we can prove we can beat them deep. At the moment, it really doesn't look like we can. The more troubling aspect today was the defense. They had receivers running open all over the field. If they had a qb who was a little accurate, they would have torched us all day long. Bohl has a lot of work to do. Maybe we will have to send Smith and Valladay out on pass patterns. Something has to change real quick or this could be a long season. On the plus side, I thought Chambers played quite well in the second half after a really rough start.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

This thread is poop IMO. The team won today. The one consistent thing about Bohl’s teams is that they never quit. If we win 3 or 4 games this year then maybe this is a topic. But this team is going to do good things this year. It’s apparent just watching the way the players pick each other up even when things are not going the best.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:48 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:36 pm

We were a couple of plays away from the conf crown but a few years ago. Small schools have great offenses all the time. We can too. Bohl is stuck in 1964. We have plenty of players in the NFL. We have good players. Coach Bohl is the problem
I think that a successfull college football program is tough to hang on to. Obviously, there was a period of time where it seemed like Wyoming was a tough mid to top program back in the 80s and early 90s. Whatever has contributed to that success is long gone.

Now...Coach Bohl, I'm sure, is part of the problem but it seems reductive to say that he is the problem. I say this because he obviously does a lot of the stuff that successful coaches do...things that coaches in this century have not done in Laramie...and yet...we still seem limited. So while some of his mindset seems to be limiting ... it also has brought some consistency that eluded other coaches here. Now...I think if you can average 8 wins a year in Laramie...you'll probably keep your job as long as you want it. After the rebuild, Bohl has done that (outside of last year), but if this game is any indication of who we are...we are heading in the wrong direction.

So, I see a future where Bohl's tenure goes out with a whimper....New coach comes in and rejuvenates the program to the point that we make a couple low level bowl games and then the decline sets in...wash rinse repeat. As others have pointed out...the relative level of our competition is decreasing so maybe one of those "peaks" will coincide with a conference championship. I guess that there is an upside to conference realignment LOL.

Anyways...i'm bummed about where we are at. I don't think it is much different than late stages of Glenn/Chistansen...and I see no reason to think the cycle is ending any time soon.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:12 pm This thread is poop IMO. The team won today. The one consistent thing about Bohl’s teams is that they never quit. If we win 3 or 4 games this year then maybe this is a topic. But this team is going to do good things this year. It’s apparent just watching the way the players pick each other up even when things are not going the best.
I agree.

1st game jitters in front of...what?...30,000 fans after a year where there was max. of 6,000. Big difference!

Plus, Bohl probably didn't want to blow out his former assistant after working together for 15-20 years.

Now...if we get destroyed next week in DeKalb, Illinois against Northern Illinois who was really bad last year going 0-6 the, I'd be going #FIREBOHL. But until then...
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:21 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:12 pm This thread is [#]sh#t IMO. The team won today. The one consistent thing about Bohl’s teams is that they never quit. If we win 3 or 4 games this year then maybe this is a topic. But this team is going to do good things this year. It’s apparent just watching the way the players pick each other up even when things are not going the best.
I agree.

1st game jitters in front of...what?...30,000 fans after a year where there was max. of 6,000. Big difference!

Plus, Bohl probably didn't want to blow out his former assistant after working together for 15-20 years.

Now...if we get destroyed next week in DeKalb, Illinois against Northern Illinois who was really bad last year going 0-6 the, I'd be going #FIREBOHL. But until then...
That really bad NIU team is tied with Georgia Tech in Atlanta in the 4th quarter...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:21 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:12 pm This thread is [#]sh#t IMO. The team won today. The one consistent thing about Bohl’s teams is that they never quit. If we win 3 or 4 games this year then maybe this is a topic. But this team is going to do good things this year. It’s apparent just watching the way the players pick each other up even when things are not going the best.
I agree.

Jitters maybe.....trying to allow an old friend to save face...maybe. I sure hope so.

OR maybe we are no good...Maybe Bohl's vaunted O-line was unable to get anything going .. Our shiny new offensive plan is more of the same and we are competitively on par with the middle of the FCS.

I promise you I will admit that my predictions of decline are wrong when the success you all see coming manifests itself. Until then I'll feel a little good about this win because I don't see too many more this season.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

The kumbaya thing is nice and all, but it doesn’t make up for lack of skill/execution. I saw nothing outside of Muma and Fawaz that suggested we had serviceable skill/execution in any position. We all know the RBs have it, but the line seriously failed them.

This performance after talking about being the deepest roster ever really highlights the disparity between what he perceives and what is reality. The game has evolved and passed him by while he continues to see things through 1997 Nebraska glasses.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
coantag_creek_poke
Buckaroo

Montana just beat Washington.. everyone needs to calm tf down.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

coantag_creek_poke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:03 pm Montana just beat Washington.. everyone needs to calm tf down.
Northern Illinois just beat Georgia Tech. Everyone needs to wake tf up...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Subcanis wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:54 pm
The kumbaya thing is nice and all, but it doesn’t make up for lack of skill/execution. I saw nothing outside of Muma and Fawaz that suggested we had serviceable skill/execution in any position. We all know the RBs have it, but the line seriously failed them.

This performance after talking about being the deepest roster ever really highlights the disparity between what he perceives and what is reality. The game has evolved and passed him by while he continues to see things through 1997 Nebraska glasses.
I believe you should re-watch that tape. The tight end group was impressive (Welch is legit). Neyor’s athleticism is very apparent and the focus needs to be getting the ball into his hands. The kicking game is outstanding (minus the snapping game). Coldon is one of the best corners in the conference.

The running game and line play was disappointing today. But it was one game - - and against a coach that knows Wyoming’s players as good as anyone. I want to see more before drawing conclusions. Losing Hearn early on for targeting was impactful (especially on MSU’s late TD drive).
coantag_creek_poke
Buckaroo

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:09 pm
coantag_creek_poke wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:03 pm Montana just beat Washington.. everyone needs to calm tf down.
Northern Illinois just beat Georgia Tech. Everyone needs to wake tf up...
Georgia who?

Tech isn't a good team. And NIU beating them doesn't mean anything. We beat Missouri in 2019 and a few weeks later lost to Tulsa. It's all the same. We're going to be just fine -- shut up and enjoy the ride.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

Yeah I was pretty stoked to see that result. Montana and Montana State are historically good FCS programs and there isn't as big a difference between the top of the FCS and the bottom of the FBS as many think. Tip of the cap to Montana St for coming to play and to Montana for their upset of Washington.

End of the day, the Cowboys didn't quit and unlike Washington came back to win the game. While I am not happy about the offensive game play in quarters 1-3, it was nice to see some of those completed passes in the 4th. Time for the Pokes to focus on Northern Illinois.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

How many conference championships do we have under Burman?

Anything short of 7 wins this year should result in a cleaning out from the top.
52-56